1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550
Old 11-18-2014, 11:46 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Towing and Hauling Guides
Print Wikipost

E350 prewired for trailer brake controller?

Old 04-05-2011, 08:54 PM
Killer RC
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E350 prewired for trailer brake controller?

Anybody know if the newer E350s are prewired for a trailer brake controller? And where is the plug located? It should be under the dash somewhere, I guess.
I could look in the owners manual, but I'm too lazy.

Old 04-05-2011, 09:31 PM
SilverE350
Senior User
I found the pigtail right about where your left shin would be. I pulled out the black step plastic and then the plastic trim in the foot well. It was behind there. Funny thing is that I never was able to make it work. Some of the wires had power, other didn't. I cant quite remember now, but I think I had to run a wire direct from the battery to the controller and another for trailer battery charging. I used all factory harness' as well. good luck.

Old 04-05-2011, 11:26 PM
Killer RC
Senior User
Good info. I guess it's just a female plug with 4 or 5 wires? Is there a male plug for it somewhere that I can connect to my brake controller? Then removing the brake controller would be easy. Where'd you mount your controller? On the rear of the van is the other end of the trailer wiring tucked up behind a light or something?

Old 04-06-2011, 07:56 AM
Killer RC
Senior User
Ok. I removed my kick panel and found a gray 8-pin plug, but it already had wires plugged into it. So I was thinking that maybe this is for the optional Integrated Brake Controller. So I pulled back the dash face panel and behind found an unused plug by the little storage cubby. I'm pretty sure that this plug is for the IBC. I already have a nice Tekonsha P1 brake controller, but for aesthetics sake I think I will go to the Ford dealership and see how much it costs to order the IBC. It sure would look nice and clean. I bet that they added this extra wiring when they changed the dash layout, which was 2009.

Old 04-06-2011, 08:06 AM
Killer RC
Senior User
I hope I can just add the control panel and not have to get a different Master Cylinder. See this: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...0-5-4l-v8.html

Old 04-06-2011, 09:26 PM
Bbasso
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Found mine and been using it flawlessly for the past 6 months...
It was driver's side kick panel. IIRC it was a brown square plug.

Old 04-06-2011, 10:33 PM
Killer RC
Senior User
Originally Posted by Bbasso
Found mine and been using it flawlessly for the past 6 months...
It was driver's side kick panel. IIRC it was a brown square plug.
What year and model van?

Old 04-07-2011, 09:05 PM
Bbasso
Elder User
2000 E350 PSD.

Old 05-12-2011, 11:50 PM
Killer RC
Senior User
I talked to a Ford parts guy today. 2008 was the last year for all ford vans to be prewired for trailer wiring. If you want the trailer wiring on a 2009+ then you would need to special order the van with the optional towing package that has the brake controller mounted in the dash. Boo to Ford on this decision.

So I guess I'll have to do it the hard way. Tap into tail light wires, and run a power wire from the battery for the trailer brakes.

Old 05-13-2011, 12:23 AM
Bbasso
Elder User
Old 07-21-2011, 02:00 AM
TexsDream77
New User
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Killer RC
I talked to a Ford parts guy today. 2008 was the last year for all ford vans to be prewired for trailer wiring. If you want the trailer wiring on a 2009+ then you would need to special order the van with the optional towing package that has the brake controller mounted in the dash. Boo to Ford on this decision.

So I guess I'll have to do it the hard way. Tap into tail light wires, and run a power wire from the battery for the trailer brakes.
I know this is old. But, the Ford Parts guy is WRONG. All the E vans from 2009-current are the same. They are all wired for the trailer brake controller. There is a plug and play harness available for it from Reese/DRawtite/Teconsha/etc. It's the same harness used in the 2008+ Superduty.

In the van..... the plug is located in the center of the dash above the stereo. Mine was clipped into the back side of the coin holder. I had to take the dash apart to get to it. But, it was there. I plugged in my brake controller and it worked with no modifications or adding fuses requred. I tried to get the local Ford Dealers to order the "Ford" brake control parts, and they said that they could not find the part #s without a vin from an E series van that actaully had the controller in it. And since no Ford Dealers around here had one in stock, I had to install an aftermarket brake controller.

The person who found thiers in the kick panel has an older van. This location I speak of above is for 2009_+ E Series VANS only. In the Superduty pickups the plug is located on the back side of the dash where the factory brake controller WOULD have been.

Hope this helps someone out there.

The following 2 users liked this post by TexsDream77:
Old 07-21-2011, 02:03 AM
TexsDream77
New User
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Killer RC
Ok. I removed my kick panel and found a gray 8-pin plug, but it already had wires plugged into it. So I was thinking that maybe this is for the optional Integrated Brake Controller. So I pulled back the dash face panel and behind found an unused plug by the little storage cubby. I'm pretty sure that this plug is for the IBC. I already have a nice Tekonsha P1 brake controller, but for aesthetics sake I think I will go to the Ford dealership and see how much it costs to order the IBC. It sure would look nice and clean. I bet that they added this extra wiring when they changed the dash layout, which was 2009.

Sounds like you had the brake control plug in your hand the whole time.

Old 08-09-2011, 07:00 PM
86scotty
Senior User
Can somebody post a pic of the plastic plug for the controller? I have an 02 e350 and Etrailer says it's a plug-n-play setup, which i'm sure it is because even though i have no factory tow pkg, there is a 4 pin already hanging at my back bumper, i just added blue wire and constant hot to make it 7.
Don't want to hijack a post, but can someone post a pic of the plug under the dash? Mine is not obvious, i have looked under the dash and kick panel.
thanks!

Old 08-14-2011, 01:52 PM
sobek
New User
Thanks for the towing brake info I found the plug right where you said.

do you know here the tail for hitch is or do I have to hard wire it? I can't fin one. Ford told me my van is not pre wired for towing.
If you can help I would really appreciate it.

Old 08-14-2011, 04:03 PM
sobek
New User
2009 E-350 tow harness?

Does anyone know where the harness is for a 2009 E-350?

Ford says that is not pre-wired for towing, but there is a brake control plug in the dash. If anyone can hlep I would really appreciate it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: E350 prewired for trailer brake controller?