1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Crossmember needed for 60 T5 swap

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2011, 05:20 PM
niteowl
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Crossmember needed for 60 T5 swap

I am getting ready to put in a new engine and transmission but have not had much luck locating a crossmember to put a T5 into my 60 F100.
I am hoping to find a bolt in.
I have a bolt in from an 85 Crown Vic with that had an AOD and was hoping that would work and if not would prefer to get something new but nobody lists them for the 57-60 that I have yet found.

Old 04-05-2011, 05:49 PM
old_dan
Fleet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
The universal crossmember that Fatman makes will probably work:

..::FatmanFabrications::..

Dan

Old 04-05-2011, 06:07 PM
niteowl
Senior User
Originally Posted by old_dan
The universal crossmember that Fatman makes will probably work:

..::FatmanFabrications::..

Dan
According to their site it should fit 42-87 but there are no other details like what type of transmission it is designed for or if there are mounting adaptors/pads for specific applications. Not even a picture of what it looks like.
I have no experience with transmission swaps and need more info than they are providing even to know if I am getting everything I need.

Old 04-05-2011, 06:57 PM
old_dan
Fleet Mechanic

Here's a pic of my 52 with the Fatman crossmember. That is a C6 sitting on it. I don't have a pic, but I did use an AOD mount which bolts right to the crossmember:

Old 04-05-2011, 07:29 PM
niteowl
Senior User
It looks like the crossmember will work but then I have to figure out what to use for a mount between t5 and crossmember. Until I have it in the truck I will not know how tall the mount should be. I may just have to do it and then figure out what to use for a mount or fabricate something.

Old 04-06-2011, 10:58 AM
old_dan
Fleet Mechanic

I'm not sure what the mounts on a T5 look like. Post a pic if you have any.

That particular crossmember is a 6" drop version. I would think you could pick up a isolation mount for an 80's F-150 which bolts directly to the crossmember. Attaching it to the T5 might require that you make a bracket.

Dan

Old 04-06-2011, 11:55 AM
niteowl
Senior User
Originally Posted by old_dan
I'm not sure what the mounts on a T5 look like. Post a pic if you have any.

That particular crossmember is a 6" drop version. I would think you could pick up a isolation mount for an 80's F-150 which bolts directly to the crossmember. Attaching it to the T5 might require that you make a bracket.

Dan
I do not yet have the T5. About to order from a guy in Connecticut who does custom performance rebuilds.
It will be a Mustang world class T5 with the Chevy S10 forward shifting position tail shaft. It is supposed to handle 305 lbs./ft torque and has a 3.35 1st gear.

I can make up an adaptor if I need to. I had thought this would be common enough of a swap that someone would be able to give me sources for the parts already known to fit.

I sent an email to sales at fatmanfab.com hoping they may know more or have suggestions what to use for their cross member.

Their web site says "Motor & Trans Insulators $15.ea" but I am not certain what that means, no details I can find on the site.

Old 04-06-2011, 12:18 PM
old_dan
Fleet Mechanic

I bought the crossmember from Fatman. I did discuss it with their tech rep. He said no isolater is required for the C6 install. I didn't go that route & ended up using a mount from a car with an AOD. As you can see from the pic I needed to raise the back of the trans up a little (about the thickness of a 2x4, so the stock isolater worked out.

I just googled T5 transmission images. The pictures appear to have a mounting lug that is very similar to the C6 trans....a bit further forward, but very similar. I think you'll be able to basically do a bolt up with a stock Mustang isolater. If not, your adaptor could be a really simple flat plate with a couple of pairs of drilled holes.

Dan

Old 04-06-2011, 12:44 PM
Alfie F-1
New User
We put a T-5 in my 1952 F-1 with a stock 6, this mount was the most difficult part of the job. Fist we used a 1x2 steel stock and welded plates to the ends. Those plates bolted to the out side of the frame. The stock T-5 mount bolted through the 1x2. It was too weak! Next we fabricated 2x2 to mount on top of the lower passenger side rail (over the exhaust) and under the driver’s side lower rail (to avoid the hydraulic and gas line as well and elec.). We only needed to be about an inch and a half below the frame rails. We used the hi-performance trans mount with two outside bolts, not the standard with a single center stud. This works great and looks good under the truck too.
Alfie

Old 04-06-2011, 01:09 PM
ibuzzard
Panties NOT in a Twist

Received 288 Likes on 199 Posts
Trent,I'm sure there are others who've done that swap,maybe someone can comment soon.If you PM me ,i can give you the number of a machinist/mechanic fellow Fridge-owner who has done the swap and is very gracious in offering advice.

When doing modifications like this,find someone with your era(57-60) truck,and things will usually go smoother,as things don't necessarily exactly translate from one generation of Ford truck to the next.

Old 04-06-2011, 02:54 PM
48 Steel
Laughing Gas
Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts
This is the crossmember I built for my T5 in a 48 F1.

I used 2" angle iron.

"Real Hot Rods have 3 pedals"

Old 04-06-2011, 03:33 PM
niteowl
Senior User
I guess I am going to have to wait until I have the transmission and can put it in place and see how things line up. I have the AOD cross member that I can put in place and see how much gap there may be between it and the tranny then figure out what to do about a mount.

I could probably make my own custom cross member but my welding skills are still in the learning stages and I do not have a shielding gas tank yet. I could at least do all the cutting and tack the pieces together and have someone experienced finish the welds. Then I could pick any mounting pad and size the cross member to fit.

Old 04-07-2011, 05:48 AM
hellfirejim
Elder User
Normally this is the way you have to go as you described. The exceptions are the really popular F100s. Take your time and use common sense and that should get the job done.

Remember the KISS method and if possible make it a bolt in so you can change or work on the trans.

jim

Old 04-07-2011, 06:55 AM
niteowl
Senior User
Originally Posted by hellfirejim
Normally this is the way you have to go as you described. The exceptions are the really popular F100s. Take your time and use common sense and that should get the job done.

Remember the KISS method and if possible make it a bolt in so you can change or work on the trans.

jim
I am going to evaluate how much room there will be for dual exhaust as well and see if the cross member will need space for that above or below.
I will stick with bolt in as I am not yet confident of my ability to weld to the frame securely. I have no experience on thicker metal and do not have the shielding gas tank to allow it to heat up enough.

Old 04-07-2011, 07:00 AM
hellfirejim
Elder User
Don't be too quick to dismiss any welding. If that works for you then tack it into place and take it to get fully welded. Of course bolt only is ok, they are just both options.

It sounds like you can do either.
jim

Quick Reply: Crossmember needed for 60 T5 swap