460 EFI hp mods...Anything out there

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2003, 05:23 PM
Dickc
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have an 89 EFI 460 that I would like to get more grunt from. I know that there are MAF conversions available but that is only a first step. If I can't find performance parts for it MAF doesn't do much good. I would like to try a conventional build up, (street, off-road, and towing...no racing), but will consider a supercharger if I can't find parts. I am looking for something in the 300-450 hp range at the rear wheels with a butt load of torque. Any ideas that don't begin with "get a carburated, pre 87"?

Old 03-18-2003, 06:30 PM
77'F-150Mudder
Elder User

Dickc, You're on the right track with the Mass Air conversion. You'll need that before you get too crazy with modifications.

Once the Mass Air conversion is in place you can change just about anything and the computer will adapt.

Here is what I'd do in this order:

1. K&N air filter
2. Try and find a shop that will put on a true dual exhaust system with at least 2.5 in. pipes w/cats.
3. If not already equipped, install 4.10s front and rear, unless of course you have big tires.
4. Install a more agressive cam (matched to weight, gears and desired RPM range)
5. While you have the cam out, replace the stock timing set with a "straight-up" double roller set.
6. Upgrade ignition with an MSD or equivilent choice (I highly discourage using Jacobs products)

Thats a good start and should easily get 300+ at the rear. Performance parts for the 460s are plentiful and pretty easy to find. You could easily build the 460 to make 400+ at the rear with the $$$ it would cost for the supercharger. On the other hand, blowers sure are alot of fun.

Old 03-19-2003, 11:22 AM
kevinrf250
Senior User

I have a 1994 460 and have the K&N, headers and true dual exhaust with no cats and it made a big difference over stock. Also look into getting the heads ported. I have also heard that getting an adjustible fuel pressure regulatar can help by being able to get the pressure set corectly. A chip would be a good idea expecially if you don't convert to mass-air.

Old 03-20-2003, 06:49 PM
Skeetkiller
Senior User

I got a K&N filter charger on my 460 non mass air. Also I just got a custom 4" cat back exhaust put on recently. What a difference, it is like effortless power now. Also if you have the speed density, take the intake tubes apart, and do away with the snorkle/trumpet thing. I cut those off of mine, so I just have an open flow now, no restrictions. That also helped. A chip is good, that's probably my next improvement.

Check this site out:
http://performanceunlimited.com/projectmpg/overall.html

This has been around here alot, but if you haven't read it, it is a good read.

Old 03-20-2003, 09:12 PM
brucen2son
Freshman User

I too am looking at an adjustable fuel pressure regulator. Who makes one which just replaces the stock one? I seem to find plenty of these for the Mustang 5.0, but not the 460. ?????
Thanks

Old 03-21-2003, 12:11 AM
kevinrf250
Senior User

I too haven't been able to find a fuel pressure regulator specificly listed for a 460, but I think that there are different versions of the mustang 5.0 ones and one of them should have the correct mounting patern and spots to hook up the lines. Might just take a little more research.

Old 03-22-2003, 05:06 PM
dan15000
Junior User

Another way to get Mass-air is to use the mustang computer and a Tweecer that would allow you to change any kind of parameter you want. That is what I did. You can even use it to convert an older non efi engine to mass-air, sesquential injection, whatever injector size you want etc.

I have a loose 460 regulator that looks awfully similar to the regulator on my Mustang. I can't say for sure because the one is installed on the car, but I think they're the same. Maybe look them both up Autozone.com and see if they're the same part number.

Last edited by dan15000; 03-22-2003 at 05:08 PM.
Old 03-24-2003, 04:24 PM
brucen2son
Freshman User

ok, i have an '89 F250 where is this fuel regulator located? I can't seem to find it up on top of engine.

Old 03-24-2003, 06:40 PM
dan15000
Junior User

It's on the front left side of the engine on the fuel rail.

Old 03-26-2003, 04:06 PM
Dickc
Freshman User

Okay, let's turn up the heat a little. Yes I can put a new exhaust, new K&N air filter, etcetera but what about true performance modifications? I am not sure but aren't the heads specific to the EFI manifold? I've heard that the intake on the EFI engine won't fit earlier heads without major modifications. I haven't found any trick heads from Edlebrock or others for the fuelie so that leaves porting and polishing the fuelie heads to get any performance from them. Will the rockers from earlier heads fit, (ie roller rockers)? Are roller cams available for the late model? Will aftermarket pistons fit in the late model 460, (are pin positions the same, etc.)?
I know that bigger throttle bodies are available, MAF kits are available, and injectors are available, (as well as the standard assortment of exhaust and air filters), but if the motor can't be modified internally due to the lack of performance parts, then I am left with only supercharging for the big HP/Torque gains.

Old 03-26-2003, 05:37 PM
kevinrf250
Senior User

Another route to look into is putting a stroker crank in it to make it a 514. Ford Motorsports even sells a complete stroker kit with the crank, rods, and piston. I think that it will work on the EFI engines but am not 100% sure of that. I also think that the roller rockers will work. I am just starting to look into this stuff so when I rebuild mine I already now what will work. Good luck with the build up.

Old 03-26-2003, 06:13 PM
dan15000
Junior User

I would definately want to convert to mass air before changing displacement or anything like that!

Old 03-26-2003, 06:38 PM
Dickc
Freshman User

Here are the things that are not in question, they will go on the motor: Mass air conversion, Large throttle body and injectors,K&N air filter, Big exhaust. What I want to know is what 'real', internal performance parts, or work can be done on, or is available for, a late model, EFI, 460. I like the idea of the stroker crank IF pistons are also available for use with that crank for this application. However for getting to 450 hp that is like shooting flies with an elephant gun (which also has it's own appeal). I am not opposed to getting that wild later but for now I just want to get to around 450 hp and a pants load of torque. That can't be done with just Mass air and a big exhaust. What I don't know is what is truly available for the late model <a href="http://www.motorhaven.com/">460 </a>in performance parts or machining.

Old 03-26-2003, 06:57 PM
Skeetkiller
Senior User

Yes there is alot of work that can be done.

Open up the heads, bump up the compression, injectors, cam, roller rockers, port match everthing, mass air, or speed density, headers throttle body, plugs, wires, and ignition system. But, it all comes down to the computer, you will need to get all of your ducks in a row, and get someone to program you a chip that will go with everything that you do. I am not sure, but IF you do all of that, you might be up at the numbers that you want.

Old 03-26-2003, 07:26 PM
Dickc
Freshman User

Now were talking! I think that the biggest bang for the buck will be a porting job on the heads. I thought that I saw an article on porting the <a href="http://www.motorhaven.com/">460 </a>EFI heads somewhere a while ago and that they were really able to make them breathe right but I can't remember what the article was in. Question: do you need a new chip if you have Mass Air with the appropriate computer? Doesn't the Mass Air setup compensate for the additional air and fuel you are pumping through the motor with the performance work on it?

Quick Reply: 460 EFI hp mods...Anything out there