1973 - 1979 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Dentsides Ford Truck
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser
View Poll Results: Should I go with Redhead Steering or Lare's Corp for Power Assist components?
Redhead Steering
90.00%
Lare's Corp
10.00%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Redhead Steering vs. Lare's Corp

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2011, 12:59 PM
704 dentside man
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Redhead Steering vs. Lare's Corp

Hi guys...I'm looking to have some of my Power assist components rebuilt or swapped as a core, all bendix style (power cylinders and control valves). Swapping in 78/9 stuff isn't going to happen on these rigs (but since I said that, God knows someone will suggest it to be a smart allec), so please don't suggest that. However, my question is which company is the better option to go with? Redhead Steering or Lare's Corp for the re-builds. Who does better work?

Currently, Redhead is more expensive, but they have the parts I need in stock. I ship them my parts, which bypasses the core charge, then they'll send me what I need. But like I said, they're about $75 more expensive.

Lare's, doesn't have any in stock, says it'll take 2 weeks to rebuild what I send him...if it's rebuildable, but he's cheaper.

Money really isn't the deciding factor (unless they're just that evenly matched), it's more quality and expected life of the rebuild. So any info or thoughts is greatly appreciated.

Old 04-04-2011, 01:31 PM
crazed87bronco
Logistics Pro
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
i personally never heard of lares corp so i can't say anything about them i did just check out there website and they seem to do just about any kind of pump and gears for any vehicle so they must have alot of business under there belt. redhead stearing is alot of what i hear on the forum when it comes to rebuilding with the machining they do so it's better then factory and fixes the leaking box's we seem to all get after awhile. ive heard nothing but good things about them i have called and priced my box to be rebuilt by them although they are alittle steep on there prices i was thinking of sending them my box when the time comes but im always looking for better or just as good places with as good of a rep as redhead has

Old 04-04-2011, 03:05 PM
704 dentside man
Posting Guru
Lare's is actually the supplier for NPD (for the F-Series Power assist parts anyway)...but NPD sold out of the valves rather quickly.

As for Redhead...didn't know they 'upgraded' anything...that's definitely a pro. Not sure if Lare's build to stock specs or 'upgrades'.

Old 04-04-2011, 05:08 PM
Riderman
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I cant speak for Redhead, but I have Lares parts on mine. (76 F250) I purchased them in the early 90's and have no leaks so far. I purchased the rebuilt ram, control valve and gearbox. One thing they did, good or bad, is they used grease in the gearbox, not 90w gear oil. The steering is still factory tight, well, as tight as this power assist setup get's anyway. I also rebuilt my steering colum and replaced the steering shaft at the same time.

Old 04-04-2011, 11:43 PM
montana_highboy
Post Fiend
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Riderman
One thing they did, good or bad, is they used grease in the gearbox, not 90w gear oil. The steering is still factory tight.
That's correct for a manual steering box...

http://www.stangerssite.com/lubrication.html

Old 04-05-2011, 12:56 PM
704 dentside man
Posting Guru
Bump for any more opinions. I plan on ripping this stuff out this weekend and send it out. Looks like RH has a pretty solid lead thus far.

Old 04-06-2011, 12:41 AM
Sleepy445FE
Posting Guru
I dont have any experience with Redhead. I've heard they fix some factory flaw in the steering box. I'll probably use them when I replace mine. I used Lares for my cylinder and have had no problems. Seems like quality work. Aside from the box it seems like they are pretty even. Same quality with a little better prices will send my vote to Lares.

Seems I am the only one. lol

Old 04-06-2011, 08:57 PM
hasteranger
Lead Driver
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I know you made up your mind but I am curious as to why. I'd never dump that much money into the old power assist setup... its pretty worthless.

Old 04-06-2011, 09:03 PM
kentucky19
Senior User
question for you guys who have checked into it, how much we talkin for the redhead steering box??

Old 04-06-2011, 10:47 PM
crazed87bronco
Logistics Pro
I've called and priced a rebuild with the machining to the lower bearing/ seal area that they fix because Ford didn't do it that way from factory so that's why they get that leak but for a 79 f250 4x4 power steering box it came to almost $500 with shipping and almost $600 if you don't have a core

Old 04-07-2011, 08:11 AM
704 dentside man
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by hasteranger
I know you made up your mind but I am curious as to why. I'd never dump that much money into the old power assist setup... its pretty worthless.
In new form it's not so bad and will suit my needs, and I believe it catches a bad rap from guys that see old worn out parts leaking, and don't fully understand the system. Then they hop on line and believe perpetual misconceptions about the system. I've run upwards of 38's with this system with minimal issues. I've got a couple valves that I had done a few years back by a local guy that claimed he knew what he was doing, they came back leaking still. Took them to a hydraulic shop, they got good enough to live with, so now I figure I'll let someone who knows what they're doing try their hand at it. Besides, the system lasted darn near 30 years, even the 78/9 setup has to wear out at some point.

Originally Posted by kentucky19
question for you guys who have checked into it, how much we talkin for the redhead steering box??

NPD (which is supplied by Lare's) is 225 plus a 250 core charge (out of stock anyway)
Redhead is 356 plus a $300 core charge
Lare's is 236 plus a $150 core charge.

These are prices/quotes I received on Tuesday.

You can bypass the core charge by giving them a call and letting them know you're sending in your part.

Old 04-07-2011, 11:42 AM
clovins
5th Wheeling
Crazed..$600 sounds a little high even for RedHead. I had them quote a rebuild for my 78 4x4 and it came to $325 plus ~$90 for two way shipping and I'm in VA.

Old 04-07-2011, 02:09 PM
crazed87bronco
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by clovins
Crazed..$600 sounds a little high even for RedHead. I had them quote a rebuild for my 78 4x4 and it came to $325 plus ~$90 for two way shipping and I'm in VA.
it does sound abit steep to me to but the quote i got when i called 3 months ago was over 400 for a rebuild with a core shipped just like you say then i got a quote for no core so it came to under 600 shipped

Old 04-07-2011, 04:40 PM
montana_highboy
Post Fiend
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by 704 dentside man
In new form it's not so bad and will suit my needs, and I believe it catches a bad rap from guys that see old worn out parts leaking, and don't fully understand the system. Then they hop on line and believe perpetual misconceptions about the system. I've run upwards of 38's with this system with minimal issues. I've got a couple valves that I had done a few years back by a local guy that claimed he knew what he was doing, they came back leaking still. Took them to a hydraulic shop, they got good enough to live with, so now I figure I'll let someone who knows what they're doing try their hand at it. Besides, the system lasted darn near 30 years, even the 78/9 setup has to wear out at some point.
Agree...

Some guys just blindly echo the mantra "power assist steering sucks" because they don't know any better and it's all they've ever heard.

A power steering box has a hydraulic piston inside with pressure porting controlled by a torsion valve, all in one nice and neat, clean little package, it puts all of its steering force through the pitman arm, pushing one of the steering knuckles off the frame, power steering boxes have built in force limitations.

Power assist systems on our trucks use a push-pull valve with a hydraulic ram, in decent shape this factory setup goes down the road just fine, the power assist is an excellent built in steering damper and puts 100% of its turning force from axle housing to steering knuckle, turning 38" and larger tires in conditions that would negate the force from a power steering box.

If a guy wants to believe a power steering box is superior in ways besides its neat little packaging that's their prerogative.

Old 04-09-2011, 11:57 PM
Riderman
Elder User
Originally Posted by montana_highboy
That's correct for a manual steering box...

http://www.stangerssite.com/lubrication.html
Thanks Montana_highboy for the lube info! Redhead or Lares, I'd go with the best price. I cant remember the part name in the gearbox that Lares can not rebuild (sector shaft?) but it's the main thick steel rod in the gear box with machined thread connected to the steering column shaft. There is no machining Redhead or anybody can do to fix this if it is damaged. Replacement of the part only, and it is not available anymore. Lares doesnt play around, the core is good, or it is not. They will not screw you, or the next guy due to a worn out defective core that they receive. I talked to them several times prior to my purchase. OP, do not get confused with machining fixes (ie: lower bearing, etc) to other gearboxes that do not pertain to these 73-76 manual gearboxes. I can only restate, after over 20 years, I have zero PS leaks nor steering play issues with the Lares products on my 76 4x4. I only run 33" tires though.

Quick Reply: Redhead Steering vs. Lare's Corp