'96 Ranger dome light

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2003, 07:12 PM
john bergeson
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'96 Ranger dome light

Hey Ken,
I'll have to check those two things out. I'll let you know how everything turns out.
Thanks, JB

Old 06-04-2003, 11:45 PM
Ottis
Freshman User
'96 Ranger dome light

Yeah my 01' Edge did that to me. I took it to the local Ford dealership and they said it was a normal problem, a little bit of dirt collects in the latch and stick the sensor shut. He went and sprayed some WD-40 on it and it was all back to normal.

Old 06-19-2003, 05:25 AM
FyreLyter
Senior User
'96 Ranger dome light

I lived with this for almost a year until I saw this forum and am now a happy man... wd-40 does the trick baby!!!
I had to join FTE to show my appreciation to all who helped me out. Thanks

Old 08-25-2003, 11:27 PM
KatyinFla
New User
'96 Ranger dome light

If you are at the mall, at work, or just plain don't want to risk getting W-D40 or graphite on you or your clothes right when your dome light just won't go out for the life of you. Though it's only a temporary fix, it got me home without having to deal with a dead battery. I just grabbed a common pencil eraser (the kind that goes on a #2 pencil outta my kid's bookbag and stuck it on the little light switch plug inside the door jam of my Bronco II - it worked great for about 6 door slams - then it was definitely time for the WD-40.

Old 09-02-2003, 08:55 PM
Bert-in-TX
New User
Thumbs up '96 Ranger dome light

WOW! Thanks, guys! That problem has been plaguing me in my 97 Ranger XLT for a couple of years. The dome light would stay on until I put it in gear AND removed my foot from the brake pedal for several seconds. It made it very difficult to back out of my driveway at night. I could not leave the keys in the ignition unless the motor was running. Then, last night the dome light and the door ajar alarm went on and off several times while I was driving. After finding this forum, I gave the latch a good squirt of WD-40, and now it's back to normal. Man, I AM HAPPY!!!

Old 10-15-2003, 05:37 PM
davelaboss
New User
I've had my 96 Rang for almost 5 years and almost from day one have had the fuse pulled!
Thank God for this forum.
When I bought, dealer quoted me around $250 to fix 'sensor' inside the door that is at fault.

Last edited by Ken00; 10-15-2003 at 07:09 PM.
Old 11-13-2003, 09:23 PM
ghartman
New User
Excellent advice guys. I had my Ford dealer replace these switches twice, which they were more than happy to do for about $100 per fix.

I have had this happen on a 99 Ford and my current 2001 Ford. A few weeks ago when I stumbled on to this site, I found this advice of spraying them in another thread! I did it and immediately got rid of the dome lights being on while your trying to drive in the dark due to the door ajar switches.

This advice not only saved me $200 + , but it saved all the agrivation of taking the thing in the get the problem solved. Makes me wonder if my switches ever really got replaced the times when I took it in before???

Thanks!!!

Old 11-14-2003, 03:15 PM
davelaboss
New User
Yeah, ghartman, that's a real bugger!!
Ever since I sprayed my switches, NO problems whatsoever!!!!
It's been at least 2 months!!

Old 11-19-2003, 09:54 PM
Cardiac Kid
New User
Hey Guys i appreciate all the advice that you provided with this forum. I was so sick and tired of walking away from my truck and having the dome lights not turn off. I have an appointment with my local ford dealership that i will cxcl tomorrow, they wanted to charge me 86$ for a electrical test and then 160$ for each door switch that was faulty. I tried thw WD-40 and that is working great on my 98 ranger.

Thanks again,

Old 11-20-2003, 09:13 AM
Biomechanoid
New User
:| I've the same problem in my 99 ranger, but the WD-40 trick isn't working; any other suggestions before I call up the local dealer?

Old 11-20-2003, 11:14 AM
davelaboss
New User
Could be the GEM that's located behind the radio.

According to the NHTSA, there were some TSB's released over time indicating that the dome light and windsheild wipers could have 'behavioral' problems due to a faulty GEM. The TSB also indicates what part no. to order from Ford to replace the faulty GEM with a newer 'non-faulty' module.

Quoted directly from my copy of the TSB:
"Some 1995-98 model year rangers equipped with a CTM (Central Timer Module), may experience any or all of the following concerns: Intermittent wiper operation without command. dome lights remaining on, or the door chimes remaining on. To Correct, remove the radio, center finish instrument panel and disconnect all attaching electrical connections. Disconnect electrical harness to the CTM and replace with a low level GEM (Generic Electronic Module). For 95-97 rangers, remove existing CTM and replace with low level GEM P/N F67Z-14B205-DA. For 98 Rangers remove existing CTM and replace with low level GEM P/N F87Z-14B205-DB. Note: When replacing the CTM with a GEM for 98 Rangers trucks, the GEM 'MUST' be reconfigured."

That's all from me!!

Hope it helps ya!

Old 11-23-2003, 08:01 PM
cbwarrior
Senior User
Just remember to lube those door switches every oil change!!! Glad that worked!

Old 11-23-2003, 09:01 PM
silver marmot
New User
Well I tried the WD-40 trick and it didn't work for me either. I went to the dealership and bought a new set of sensors for less then $50, to tell you the truth I can't remember what it was but it was a lot cheaper then having the dealer install them. I installed it my self and it is a pain but it is cheaper then geting screwed by the dealer.

Last edited by silver marmot; 11-23-2003 at 09:06 PM.
Old 11-26-2003, 12:32 AM
Spdranger
New User
Talking Dome light

I too am glad to have found this forum I have been living living with that problem for a year. have had estimates of up to $300 to fix it. THANK GOD FOR WD40...

Last edited by Ken00; 11-26-2003 at 09:53 AM.
Old 12-03-2003, 11:50 AM
JWP
New User
Tried the WD-40 this am wooks like charm!! that gD bulb gets awful hot pulling it out in the past

A big thanks to FTE and all the supporters

JWP

Quick Reply: '96 Ranger dome light