Garage & Workshop Tips & Ideas for the garage or workshop. No Truck Tech Discussion   

The Garage and Workshop forum needs your help!

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2011, 11:19 PM
Ford_Six
Hotshot
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
The Garage and Workshop forum needs your help!

I would like to start a special weekly tool review, but I can't do it all myself. What I would like is submissions from users here who have purchased tools recently and had a chance to use them. The format will be fairly simple, what the tool is (manufacturer and item number), where you bought it, why you chose this over competitive products, and how it's worked for you. You don't need to write a book, but I do need more than "I like it" or "it works".
To start off, email your submission to me at FordSixFTE@gmail.com (be sure to include your user name) and every Friday I will select a review to be posted here as an official tool review!

Old 04-04-2011, 04:44 AM
ArdWrknTrk
pedant

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
This sounds like fun!
Thanks for taking the initiative Jared.

Old 10-07-2013, 12:41 PM
blueeyedfordguy
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I can easily join in that! I buy stuff to use in the truck shop. Most of it gets used a lot or constant heavy use !

Old 10-07-2013, 06:31 PM
Ford_Six
Hotshot
Yeah, so far I haven't gotten a single submission. If anyone wants to do a review, just go ahead and post it. If it needs more detail I'll ask some questions to help flesh it out.

Old 10-07-2013, 07:04 PM
blueeyedfordguy
Elder User
Originally Posted by Ford_Six
Yeah, so far I haven't gotten a single submission. If anyone wants to do a review, just go ahead and post it. If it needs more detail I'll ask some questions to help flesh it out.
Can I do this on any tool I have recently bought ?

Old 08-15-2014, 12:08 PM
tjnthesky
Freshman User
What is one more tool?

I have many many tools, but most of them save me big time. Some should be dumped into the scrap metal file. Does any body have experience with an electrical transponder used for tracing out electrical issues. Recently on one of my trucks which I bought used would not display right side tail light. This was quite frustrating. After 2 days of tracing all the tail light circuits and connectors I finally found the source of the problem. It turned out to be damaged wire that would make contact and then not or short. I watched some body hook up a transponder to a similar situation and then follow the circuit with a wand until he found the short within a few minutes. I really want one of those. What does any body know? Thanks

Old 08-24-2014, 03:48 AM
trozei
Postmaster
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
So do I post my review in this thread? I have a lot of tools.

Old 08-28-2014, 08:42 PM
Ford_Six
Hotshot
If you got something that you love or hate, go ahead and start a thread on it.

Old 02-02-2015, 08:23 PM
b1corr
New User

Anybody got one of these. Wish I knew how to use it.

Old 02-02-2015, 10:16 PM
trozei
Postmaster
Is that an OBD2 scanner?

Old 02-03-2015, 05:10 PM
b1corr
New User
Yes it is an OBDII Scanner and also PAL Scanner. It is supposed to read and change the setting in the controller. It can also program the new Security Coded Keys. This unit works on Ford, Mazda, Jag's, and Range Rover. I haven't connected it to my cars yet but will be trying it out soon. I loaded the software into my work computer but have misplaced it right now.

Old 02-03-2015, 07:36 PM
trozei
Postmaster
My OBD2 scanner sends info via bluetooth to my iPad. It's pretty neat.

Old 02-03-2015, 09:24 PM
tjnthesky
Freshman User
I am pretty sure B1 can learn to be very proficient with his OBDII scanner, which is not at all difficult to understand or learn. It does help to read the instructions manual. However I am not familiar with the other software that is mentioned. For my use it would not work well for me. Please make a post when you have mastered your new tools. Or just find some one to show you how to pull a code out of your processor. I have purposely allowed a sensor to leak so I could practice canceling a code and sharpen my skills. Recently my processor told me my EGR valve was leaking, but my gauges said it was not so with a multi meter I discovered that the EGR position sensor was not changing, as it should. After replacing the sensor the ECM was very happy. So Multi meters, OBD II scanners and a few other electrical tools can be very helpful.

BTW my short finder has been a great help in tracing out issues with wiring. Thanks

Old 02-04-2015, 01:26 PM
usedcartech
New User
To the tools section; I have read many reviews on many different scanner software up loads for the apple mobile devices. The ones get the best reviews are the paid versions with up-grade modules to get what U need. I'm retired now so I don't take care of any other vehicles but my own. Can anyone offer advice on weather to use the app software for apple with an ELM interface or is a better choice to buy after market ACTRON or similar device. I have a MT2500 but haven't seen anywhere that I could get an 2012 module that would cover my 2012 E 150 Cargo.
Thanks Ron

Old 07-04-2018, 03:04 PM
'88 E-350
Fleet Mechanic
Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/b...mp+tool&pos=42

Why I bought it, it happened to catch my eye and I was heading to do a job where I'd be working with several clamps...plus it was only $13 on my commercial account. The first one I got had a faulty or damaged nut and it stripped out, warrantee exchange, second one's been doing great. I've used it quite a bit. I didn't know such a tool existed, now I'd hate to be without it. Before this tool my go-to was a Snap-on slip joint pliers and they worked well. Now when I see a spring clamp pliers don't even cross my mind.