6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

?? for Owners of DT Adjustable Hitches

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2011, 12:03 AM
porthole
Cargo Master

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts
The DT adjustable is rated at 1500 pounds tongue, 10000 trailer weight.

Old 04-04-2011, 07:39 AM
Marauder92V
Posting Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Duane - have you ever spoken to them about a true Class V rated adjustable? I wonder why they haven't made one yet. I really like the design.

Old 04-06-2011, 09:28 AM
porthole
Cargo Master

Originally Posted by Marauder92V
Duane - have you ever spoken to them about a true Class V rated adjustable? I wonder why they haven't made one yet. I really like the design.
No I did not.
I needed a hitch, Steve had an extra, so we solved issues for both of us.
I never really gave it any thought and actually I am quite surprised DT took the cheap way out.

It seems that the engineering required to change the pins could have been used to a better advantage with the CNC machine.

Think I'll write them now.

Old 04-06-2011, 05:37 PM
TyWebb
Senior User
Guys,

Is the 6" the way to go? I was kinda worried about hitting the 6" backing into ditches or steep inclines. That said not sure the 4" will have enough adjustability.

Old 04-06-2011, 06:34 PM
Marauder92V
Posting Guru

That is the thousand dollar question! I have been out measuring my trailers for drop. Think I can get away with a 4" but want to check with them on the range it provides.

Old 04-06-2011, 06:51 PM
TyWebb
Senior User
That is the thousand dollar question! I have been out measuring my trailers for drop. Think I can get away with a 4" but want to check with them on the range it provides.
I think the 4" would work for all the trailers I own but I usually end up towing a Uhaul or some POS that one of my buddies own's.

Old 04-06-2011, 09:33 PM
porthole
Cargo Master

The SRW trucks sit higher then the DRW's and I'm pretty sure mine is the 8" drop. Will measure it tomorrow. You can get an idea of the adjustment range from the picture I posted above.

Old 04-06-2011, 09:36 PM
porthole
Cargo Master

Have you ever spoken to them about a true Class V rated adjustable? I wonder why they haven't made one yet. I really like the design.
Originally Posted by porthole
No I did not.
Think I'll write them now.
Got my reply, I'll post it tomorrow, but basically I was told "if I don't like, don't buy our product!

Old 04-07-2011, 12:55 PM
Xyzzy
Senior User
I have a SRW and the 6" DT adjustable drawbar. I drop the ball to the lowest setting to pull my neighbor's utility trailer, but then the ball underneath scuffs on my driveway when I pull in or out. The first time it freaked me out pretty good! I think the ball height on his trailer (measured at the bottom face of the coupler) is 14".

My cargo trailer needs a 2 or 3" drop depending on the load. I wish now I had purchased the 4" version of the DT.

I too wish they sold a true class 5 solution. While the sleeve they put on looks pretty hefty, it does look like a kludge and it definitely has an impaired load rating.

I emailed them (and got a prompt reply) about having both ***** be 2 5/16" but that is not possible. I have no use for a 2" ball.

I could live with the 6" drop if it did not have the bottom ball on it.

At extreme drops the towed load rocks a little (?) and feels "less connected". It might all be in my mind. When I run it up high I can tell.

While a new DT looks very pretty, after it has been used a bit it does start looking pretty rough. I have no idea how to polish or clean it up. I am trying to do a black and chrome scheme on my truck but I would not be able to leave the DT in. (I wouldn't anyways, I'm just saying that it oxidizes (?) fast.)

I have tried a non-adjustable Reese 3" drop "Titan" drawbar but it would not fit in the receiver. That was a miserable experience because I paid shipping to get it and then shipping to return it. I should have just kept t to use as a doorstop.

The first manufacturer who makes a 2.5" class 5 drawbar that fits (adjustable or 3" drop) gets my money. I really hope DT steps up with either. Their non-adjustable drawbars with the spring-loaded nubs on top are really nice.

Maybe I should sell the 6" and use my 2.5" -> 2" sleeve and get a B&W or a Rapid Hitch. Hmm.

Old 04-07-2011, 02:29 PM
Marauder92V
Posting Guru

Originally Posted by porthole
Got my reply, I'll post it tomorrow, but basically I was told "if I don't like, don't buy our product!
I wonder if your response came from the guy in the video DiversiTech Aluminum Ball Mount Hitch Video – DT Hitch Video

He looks like someone who might say that!

Old 04-07-2011, 02:36 PM
Marauder92V
Posting Guru

Originally Posted by Xyzzy
I have a SRW and the 6" DT adjustable drawbar. I drop the ball to the lowest setting to pull my neighbor's utility trailer, but then the ball underneath scuffs on my driveway when I pull in or out. The first time it freaked me out pretty good! I think the ball height on his trailer (measured at the bottom face of the coupler) is 14".

My cargo trailer needs a 2 or 3" drop depending on the load. I wish now I had purchased the 4" version of the DT.

I too wish they sold a true class 5 solution. While the sleeve they put on looks pretty hefty, it does look like a kludge and it definitely has an impaired load rating.

I emailed them (and got a prompt reply) about having both ***** be 2 5/16" but that is not possible. I have no use for a 2" ball.

At extreme drops the towed load rocks a little (?) and feels "less connected". It might all be in my mind. When I run it up high I can tell.

While a new DT looks very pretty, after it has been used a bit it does start looking pretty rough. I have no idea how to polish or clean it up. I am trying to do a black and chrome scheme on my truck but I would not be able to leave the DT in. (I wouldn't anyways, I'm just saying that it oxidizes (?) fast.)

I have tried a non-adjustable Reese 3" drop "Titan" drawbar but it would not fit in the receiver. That was a miserable experience because I paid shipping to get it and then shipping to return it. I should have just kept t to use as a doorstop.

The first manufacturer who makes a 2.5" class 5 drawbar that fits (adjustable or 3" drop) gets my money. I really hope DT steps up with either. Their non-adjustable drawbars with the spring-loaded nubs on top are really nice.

Maybe I should sell the 6" and use my 2.5" -> 2" sleeve and get a B&W or a Rapid Hitch. Hmm.
Thanks for providing more details. I too was curious how it held up to the weather. If they are all aluminum, something like Wenol will do a good job of cleaning it. I use it on my prop hub which is all aluminum.

My driveway is pretty steep at the bottom and I wondered about the clearance as well. My brother did a pretty nice job of creating a ravine in my asphalt with his hitch. It probably pays for me to measure and measure again.

Old 04-07-2011, 04:22 PM
porthole
Cargo Master

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if !mso]>******** classid="clsid:38481807-CA0E-42D2-BF39-B33AF135CC4D" id=ieooui>*********> <style> st1\:*{behavior:url(#ieooui) } </style> <![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]-->
I have a SRW and the 6" DT adjustable draw bar. I drop the ball to the lowest setting to pull my neighbor's utility trailer, but then the ball underneath scuffs on my driveway when I pull in or out.

Low and behold – DT DOES make a single ball hitch. It is the typical slide block but instead of having the double ball it has a single pin and three stainless steel ***** that sit on the pin!

But how are you to know that – it is not advertised and I just found out about it yesterday with the snide email I got from DT.

Forget keeping the polished jewel look the hitch had when new. I have 4 different aluminum hitches. They all look dull and not as pretty after some time. But at least they do not rust.

I have tried a non-adjustable Reese 3" drop "Titan" draw bar but it would not fit in the receiver. That was a miserable experience because I paid shipping to get it and then shipping to return it. I should have just kept t to use as a doorstop.
Well that stinks. I am getting ready to order a Reese Titan pintle draw bar in 2.5”

The first manufacturer who makes a 2.5" class 5 draw bar that fits (adjustable or 3" drop) gets my money. I really hope DT steps up with either. Their non-adjustable draw bars with the spring-loaded nubs on top are really nice.
Those spring loaded ball bearings are a joke. They will not last nor will they do much for the rattle. There is only so much you overcome with a ¼” diameter ball bearing and spring. They will pop out unless you have a snug fitting receiver. And if you have a snug receiver why would you need the anti rattle feature?

BTW, the fancy schmancy 2.5” sleeved adjustable hitch has the ***** in it – just look down the top.
All they did was add a sleeve to an existing hitch.

I made that comment and maybe that was why I got the response I did.

Old 04-07-2011, 04:34 PM
porthole
Cargo Master

My note to Diversi-Tech - aka DT through thier web contact form:

----- Original Message -----

To: dtproducts@msn.com

Sent: Wednesday, April 06, 2011 9:13 AM

Subject: Feedback Form

This message was sent from:
DT Contacts
------------------------------------------------------------
First Name: Duane
Last Name: Clause
Address: 1607 Randolph Way
Address2:
City: Wall Township
State: NJ
Zip Code: 07719
Phone Number: 732-684-6203
Email: porthole@optonline.net
Message Sent To: Other
------------------------- COMMENTS -------------------------

Hello,

I have several DT products and after purchasing the latest item I feel compelled to write.

Item 1 is the DT-25013 Maximum Security Trailer Coupler Lock.
The locking bar has a really poor quality of chrome. Rusting is common on this.
The aluminum coating is lees then ideal, mine is pitting and I have trouble getting the unit to engage - disengage. Overall I am not real pleased with this lock.

Item 2 is the Self Locking Fixed Billet Hitch.
Nice hitch but the stainless "anti rattle" ***** were gone in under a month. Why bother even putting them in?

I need an 8" drop hitch and you don't make that.

Item 3 is the Self Locking Adjustable 10" hitch for my new F-350 with a 2.5" receiver.
What a surprise, it really is a 2.5" hitch with 2" associated capacity. This is hitch is nothing more then a 2" hitch with a sleeve.

Geez - for the cost of this hitch I could have just used my 2-2.5" adapter and my old Rapid Hitch adjustable.

My first thoughts are why not use the engineering and skills to just make the hitch correctly in the first place instead of using an adapter???

Not that I would suggest that you copy someone else, but my Rapid Hitch has replaceable ball mounts, and greaseless ones at that.
And with a full range of adjustment I can actually use the hitch at the low point with a single 1 7/8" ball.

I was really hoping be able to just carry one hitch. But I carry the DT adjustable for half of my equipment and an Alumistinger 8" drop for several other trailers. And I need to carry a pintle hitch

My suggestions:
Make the hitch ***** available in greaseless
Make the hitch ***** removable
Add single ball options so that the lower positions can be used without dragging.
Make the hitch a real "Class V" 2.5" drawbar without "integrated adapters".

How about a pintle mounting plate for use with adjustable hitch?

Thanks for your time
Duane

Old 04-07-2011, 04:36 PM
porthole
Cargo Master

DT response I received yesterday:

Sent: Wednesday, April 06, 2011 1:37 PM
To: Duane
Subject: Re: Feedback Form

Hi Duane,

(1) If you are not happy with our product line, please do not buy our products in the future. We do our very best to build the highest quality products money can buy and we do this with less than a 10% profit margin. The huge price you probably paid is mostly retailer & distributor markups at 100%.

You Wrote:

My suggestions:
Make the hitch ***** available in greaseless
Make the hitch ***** removable
Add single ball options so that the lower positions can be used without dragging.

(2) We make almost everything you have listed above and we have so for years now. Please see the attached brochure and item list. We would never make a greaseless ball and if you have seen how fast they fall apart and break I don’t think you would want to own one. Always use stainless steel if you don’t want to grease your chrome plated towing *****.

(3) Chrome plated steel will always rust due to government regulations placed on plating companies worldwide and is never covered under warranty by any manufacturer ever, this is why we use stainless steel on as many parts as possible or offer it as an alternative. We use more stainless steel components on our ball mounts than any other manufacturer in the industry.

(4) Anti Rattle ***** will fall out if your receiver tube is has more than .100" of slop. If you have more than this I would complain to your automotive manufacturer or use our DT-Solid-Tow series ball mounts. This is completely unavoidable since this is the maximum these ***** can travel before they wear them selves out of the seating surface and a bigger ball would reduce the strength of the shank too much. They can be reset in place with a 1/4" socket by taping lightly on the socket while holding the ball and the spring in the hole. The DT Solid-Tow ball mount is the real answer if you are looking for a completely solid feeling ball mount and everything is replaceable on these ball mounts. We will send you out free anti-rattle ***** and springs if you need them.

Your wrote:

Make the hitch a real "Class V" 2.5" drawbar without "integrated adapters".

(5) Making a 2.5" ball mount out of sold Aluminum would cost another $100,000 plus dollars in tooling and we would have a huge amount of wasted aluminum after machining each unit. The steel tube we use reduces some wear and supports the shank further out to reduce the stress on it compared to a 2" shank ball mount. All DT ball mounts are rated at 18,000 Lbs. The ball is always the week link. This is why our 3 ball stainless steel adjustable ball mounts are rated at 12,000 lbs and not 10,000.

Please never use WD-40 or penetrating oil on 1st, 2nd, or 3rd generation DT locks or 1st generation DT ball mounts built before 04/09 as this will cause grease washout problems that will cause advanced internal corrosion issues if air tool oil isn't used to re-lubricate them. Always pour air tool oil directly into the lock cylinders to lubricate your DT product if the key is not turning smooth and freely. All 2nd generation DT ball mounts and 4 generation DT locks are water tight sealed and do not ever need to be internal lubrication. Please see the attached warranty cards for more information.

Thanks,

Paul Williams - DTC

Old 04-07-2011, 06:40 PM
TyWebb
Senior User
#1 made up my mind- I will not be purchasing this as planned.

Quick Reply: ?? for Owners of DT Adjustable Hitches