6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

6.4L with 210,000 miles

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2011, 05:14 PM
cheezit
Post Fiend

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
you can opt for an esp plan for 2 more years.

Old 04-03-2011, 06:50 PM
Ian123
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cheezit
you can opt for an esp plan for 2 more years.
can you purchase this plan at any time within the 5/100k warranty or does it have to be in the 3/36?

Old 04-03-2011, 06:51 PM
cheezit
Post Fiend

you can but there is a small differance in what they each cover.do some reading. IMO I also would not by any warranty but fords... YMMV

Old 04-03-2011, 08:55 PM
StanleyZ
Logistics Pro
Received 68 Likes on 31 Posts
I don't think we know yet how this motor will last. This latest flash is supposed to prevent those very high dollar repairs, at least some of them. I also think maintaining the truck is a big part of how the truck will endure. We have just on this thread 2 examples of over 200,000 miles and both trucks are for sale so they weren't junked. Those are positive signs. There are a lot of 6.0s out there still running and towing. And the 7.3L is a legend. Same folks built them all. The 6.4L is still a diesel even if it's got some quirks. Most problems with it seem to be DPF, bad fuel or EGR related and two of those can be eliminated. So, my glass is half full.

Old 04-03-2011, 08:58 PM
cheezit
Post Fiend

we seem them with 200k from time to time. but Keep in mind I work in a fleet heavy invironment. 90% of what I see every day is a beat down pile that somehow still manages to move down the road.
yet they still keep them going in the oil field ....

Old 04-04-2011, 06:04 PM
caprang
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
its a real catch 22. Most problems are related to the emissions (DPF, EGR, Regens "making oil"). So on one hand I am tempted to get a tuner to eliminate these items and let my truck live a long happy life (hopefully). On the flip side, seems that if something does go wrong its difficult to get out of Cheezits bay for under $4k so I am terrified to own this truck without a warranty. Eliminating the emissions stuff is better for the truck, but doing so voids my warranty. Sigh.......

Old 04-04-2011, 06:07 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,415 Likes on 1,010 Posts
Alternative...DPF friendly, clean tune. Banks. Works good for me. But...you need to a pretty decent running truck to begin with.

Old 04-10-2011, 03:51 PM
Ronin 5729
Senior User
Originally Posted by senix
Alternative...DPF friendly, clean tune. Banks. Works good for me. But...you need to a pretty decent running truck to begin with.
Not sure how that's an alternative...it's tuned, so it's not under warranty, and if anything a tuned 6.4 that still has the DPF is that much harder on the motor. It's making more power by adding more fuel, boost, etc. which in turn leads to more regens, "smoke free" or not. The DPF/regen system is the single biggest detriment to this motor as far as reliability and longetivity is concerned and the best thing you can do is delete it as soon as possible. But there goes your warranty. Deleting the DPF and running stock programming (like you can do with Spartan) is another option where the added drivetrain stress of added power isn't an issue, but again, no warranty.

Old 04-10-2011, 04:19 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by Ronin 5729
Not sure how that's an alternative...it's tuned, so it's not under warranty, and if anything a tuned 6.4 that still has the DPF is that much harder on the motor. It's making more power by adding more fuel, boost, etc. which in turn leads to more regens, "smoke free" or not. The DPF/regen system is the single biggest detriment to this motor as far as reliability and longetivity is concerned and the best thing you can do is delete it as soon as possible. But there goes your warranty. Deleting the DPF and running stock programming (like you can do with Spartan) is another option where the added drivetrain stress of added power isn't an issue, but again, no warranty.

Banks is a clean tuner. My regens are an average of 500 miles apart while adding additional power. So if anything I am producing less soot on average.

I can also achieve an average of close to 17 on the hwy running 70 mph. Seems just fine to me.

Old 04-10-2011, 04:51 PM
Ronin 5729
Senior User
Originally Posted by senix
Banks is a clean tuner. My regens are an average of 500 miles apart while adding additional power. So if anything I am producing less soot on average.

I can also achieve an average of close to 17 on the hwy running 70 mph. Seems just fine to me.
Keep drinking that Bank's Kool-Aid, not surprising that so many people do with the money he's dropping in advertising in Diesel Power and other magazines...

For everyone that whines about dirty/smoky/sooty tunes, there's a real easy way to run a real (DPF delete) tuner and deal with it...it's called your right foot. I can run my IDP SCT LiveWire Xtreme Street program, good for 280+ RWHP over stock, get 18+ REAL MPG (3.55s) and stomp the guts out of anyone running Banks without a lick of smoke. Smoke is from overfueling and if you apply only as much skinny pedal as you need to make power and not more, you won't make smoke.

Not only that, but I NEVER go into regen, which, again, is the worst thing you can do to the 6.4. Banks doesn't really think that injecting fuel into the exhaust cycle and generating almost 1500 degree EGTs is a good thing, does he? DPF deleted 6.4s don't "make" oil...

So with all that diesel contaminating your crankcase do you have any Blackstone oil analysis report to tell you how "clean" that Banks tuner is keeping your motor? I will shortly, and I guarantee a DPF-deleted 6.4 will wear infinitely better than a DPF-on 6.4, with all other things being equal, any day of the week...

Old 04-10-2011, 04:59 PM
StanleyZ
Logistics Pro
Received 68 Likes on 31 Posts
This should be good.

Old 04-10-2011, 05:27 PM
Ronin 5729
Senior User
Originally Posted by StanleyZ
This should be good.
Indeed. When it comes to Banks, and the 6.4 specifically, their intake and intercooler are excellent. Not sure if their exhaust could be used with a DPF-delete pipe, and I'm pretty sure they would hang the phone up on you if you ask. But as far as tuning is concerned...PLEASE

Arguments like this on the "other" sites are pretty much non-existent, because when it comes to tuning the 6.4 Banks doesn't rate, period, and anyone trying to broach the subject is quickly and sometimes, brutally, educated.

I'm far more concerned with my 6.4's reliability and longetivity and mileage; the additional power is a bonus. I built a bulletproof monster of a 6.0 and my oil analysis showed it. One of the Blackstone techs once commented that it was one of the cleanest running 6.0s they'd ever seen, and as far as power goes, well, the numbers are in my sig!

I'll dyno and start running Blackstone's on my 6.4 shortly. Probably looking at 550+ RWHP and somewhere between 1100 and 1200 RW ft/lbs, a solid 18 REAL MPG mixed and hopefully a sub-13 1/4 mile. All that and by the time I stud the motor, do a full EGR delete with wastegate, AirDog the fuel, OilGuard the oil and DieselSite remote bypass filter the coolant and tranny fluid I'll hopefully have 7.3 multi-100'sK mile reliability.

I just hope, for their sake, that I don't line up with anyone that thinks their Banks/Superchips/Edge/etc. "canned" tune is the bee's knees and is even in the same ballpark as my truck; they're gonna be sorely mistaken...

Old 04-10-2011, 06:58 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts
Keep drinking that Bank's Kool-Aid, not surprising that so many people do with the money he's dropping in advertising in Diesel Power and other magazines...

For everyone that whines about dirty/smoky/sooty tunes, there's a real easy way to run a real (DPF delete) tuner and deal with it...it's called your right foot. I can run my IDP SCT LiveWire Xtreme Street program, good for 280+ RWHP over stock, get 18+ REAL MPG (3.55s) and stomp the guts out of anyone running Banks without a lick of smoke. Smoke is from overfueling and if you apply only as much skinny pedal as you need to make power and not more, you won't make smoke.

Not only that, but I NEVER go into regen, which, again, is the worst thing you can do to the 6.4. Banks doesn't really think that injecting fuel into the exhaust cycle and generating almost 1500 degree EGTs is a good thing, does he? DPF deleted 6.4s don't "make" oil...

So with all that diesel contaminating your crankcase do you have any Blackstone oil analysis report to tell you how "clean" that Banks tuner is keeping your motor? I will shortly, and I guarantee a DPF-deleted 6.4 will wear infinitely better than a DPF-on 6.4, with all other things being equal, any day of the week...
I don't think anyone here is drinking any kool-aid. I've talked with Scott about this numerous times and he's under no illusions of what the Banks will and will not do. Nobody buys a Banks expecting the world, and what they generally get is a bit better MPGs, less regens, and satisfaction with their purchase.

He also has some respect for those who choose to do different things to their trucks and doesn't put down other people's trucks just because they do something else.

I've seen 6.4L trucks used heavily running completely stock reach 150,000+ miles with no issues, and I can't think of one catastrophic failure that can be attributed to the regen cycle.

Perhaps you shouldn't make so many assumptions and be a bit more tolerant of what others want out of their trucks.

Old 04-10-2011, 07:16 PM
senix
Super Moderator

And a report you shall have...this was from last summer, 5K report, all towing last summer from md to co and back.

No koolaid drinking here...all I am saying is it works for me.

Attached Images  
Old 04-10-2011, 07:37 PM
Ronin 5729
Senior User
Originally Posted by Crazy001
I don't think anyone here is drinking any kool-aid. I've talked with Scott about this numerous times and he's under no illusions of what the Banks will and will not do. Nobody buys a Banks expecting the world, and what they generally get is a bit better MPGs, less regens, and satisfaction with their purchase.

He also has some respect for those who choose to do different things to their trucks and doesn't put down other people's trucks just because they do something else.

I've seen 6.4L trucks used heavily running completely stock reach 150,000+ miles with no issues, and I can't think of one catastrophic failure that can be attributed to the regen cycle.

Perhaps you shouldn't make so many assumptions and be a bit more tolerant of what others want out of their trucks.
Not putting anyone down, being assumptive nor being intolerant, just keeping it real, and comparing a DPF-on Banks "tune" to a legit DPF-deleted one like Spartan or IDP is delusional; there's no comparison, period. A layperson who didn't know any better and likewise buys into the Banks <acronym title="Page Ranking"><acronym title="Page Ranking">PR</acronym></acronym> machine would read some of the posts here and slide even deeper down the rabbit hole..

You sure about there being no catastrophic failures attributable to regen? Because diesel filling up the crankcase and windowing the block from a cracked injector from excessively high EGTs caused by regen sure sounds catastrophic to me. Not a regular occurrence by any stretch of the imagination but far from completely unheard of...

That's exactly the reason why this new reflash came out and is for ALL 6.4s...FoMoCo is looking to avoid another 6.0 warranty fiasco and since they've already had more than their fair share of legit warranty claims some dealers are going above and beyond to deny warranty claims, and once your VIN gets entered in OASIS with your powertrain warranty voided, it takes an act of the Almighty himself to reverse that, and who hasn't heard of someone getting their warranty voided with seemingly legit mods as innocuous as a drop-in filter or DPF-back exhaust, etc.

And citing the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act to the service writer as they void your powertrain warranty is about as effective as telling someone robbing you at gunpoint that they're breaking the law...

And how do you think a stock DPF-on 6.4 with 150K miles would wear on a Blackstone oil analysis report compared to a truck that's had it's DPF-deleted...? That's a rhetorical question, because, again there's no question that the DPF-deleted 6.4 would wear significantly better...

In case anyone forgets, all of this additional emissions garbage on the engine is the result of government regulations and not something that was voluntarily done by the manufacturers. It keeps getting worse and worse, and you don't have to pop the hood of a 7.3 and 6.7 side by side to figure that out...

Luckily there's options in the aftermarket to help keep things sorted as my Brit mates would say, and if Banks floats your boat, more power to you (no pun intended!).

Quick Reply: 6.4L with 210,000 miles