1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

Rear dii issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2011, 08:23 PM
jcee
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rear dii issue

I'm driving a 2004 4x4 and when I take off there's a noticable shudder in the rear diff. It's more like it catches 3 times with a bump then all is good. A friend of mine had a similar problem and was told it was the limited slip clutches in the diff that were slipping. The shop said they cleaned them. Is that BS of is it possible to do this. I have the same diff as his Sport Trac. Also, I just had the pinion seal replaced. Wrong gear oil maybe?

Old 04-10-2011, 08:28 PM
reddog99
Laughing Gas
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
There is an oil additive called a "friction modifier" that is meant to stop the clutch shudder. If none has been added, then that might be the problem.

Old 04-11-2011, 06:17 AM
powersmoked
Fleet Mechanic
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jcee
I'm driving a 2004 4x4 and when I take off there's a noticable shudder in the rear diff. It's more like it catches 3 times with a bump then all is good. A friend of mine had a similar problem and was told it was the limited slip clutches in the diff that were slipping. The shop said they cleaned them. Is that BS of is it possible to do this. I have the same diff as his Sport Trac. Also, I just had the pinion seal replaced. Wrong gear oil maybe?
as stated you need the friction additive,,,,,also some trucks have a slipyoke in the driveline that needs servicing