6.2L V8 Discuss the 6.2L V8

What new thing did you learn about your 2011 SuperDuty?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2011, 10:37 AM
2000silverbullet
Lead Driver
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by socapots
and i learned that i like the size of the sliding rear windows in the titans.. or was it tacoma..
massive compared to the F250. But at the same time today was the first day i opened it.. mearly to see if it worked. lol. sun roof too..
hell of a wind howl today on the way home

open slider and tilted sunroof wasnt bad
open slider and open sunroof was loud but not bad.
closed slider and open sunroof wasnt bad.
closed slider and tilted sunroof was loudest

at least i think thats how it went.. i got a 45 min drive to work... i get bored. lol
The sunroof open at around 20-25mph puts out that horrendous thumping sound that feels like it's gonna blow your ears wide open. I always have to crack a window until I get up to a decent speed, then it's fine.

I do miss the huge back window on my 2000, it seemed alot larger than the new truck...

Old 04-08-2011, 04:04 PM
iggy2
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 2000silverbullet
The sunroof open at around 20-25mph puts out that horrendous thumping sound that feels like it's gonna blow your ears wide open. I always have to crack a window until I get up to a decent speed, then it's fine.
Owners manual talks about it and says to open front window 2-3 " to eliminate that loud noise. But you figured that our.

Old 04-08-2011, 04:08 PM
iggy2
Senior User
I have the 40/CONSOLE/40 front bucket seats.
I noticed that the center console has a notch in the forward passengers side for a cable. I guess this could be used for many things.
I power my GPS from inside the console and feed the wire to the GPS.
Convenient.

Old 04-08-2011, 04:50 PM
Menghi08LT
Tuned
I've learned a lot since I got it.

Being an XL I didn't think it would have the hill start. I was at my friend's house, parked facing upward on a steep incline and put it in drive anticipating it to roll back. It didn't. I was impressed!

Today I figured out that if you unlock the door with the key having keyless entry, it gives you X amount of time and then the alarm will go off. I jumped into a beeping info center saying that.

Old 04-09-2011, 08:05 PM
kmonty2
Posting Guru
I found out today you can shut off what gear you are in on the LCD screen. Was driving me crazy because I did not know what I did. Just press the + button on the shift handle to toggle it on and off.
Also there is a large storage compartment under the 4 cup holders on the 40/console/40 seats. Nice to keep personal items in like registration and insurance.

Old 04-09-2011, 08:49 PM
iggy2
Senior User
Originally Posted by kmonty2
I found out today you can shut off what gear you are in on the LCD screen. Was driving me crazy because I did not know what I did. Just press the + button on the shift handle to toggle it on and off.
Also there is a large storage compartment under the 4 cup holders on the 40/console/40 seats. Nice to keep personal items in like registration and insurance.
I just ran out and checked. Remove the 2 sections that hold the cups and remove the lower bottom plate and you have a nice hideaway. Thanks

You also know that you can remove the rubber incerts to the cup holders for that big gulp mug. Each cup holder has one so you can remove just one which I did for my wifes mug. lol

Old 04-10-2011, 06:38 AM
Sargemo105
Senior User
That you can roll your windows down 15 minutes after going thru the truck wash and no window streaks. The days of not letting the kids put the windows down for 8+ hours after a wash don't apply to my SD.

Old 04-10-2011, 12:15 PM
2000silverbullet
Lead Driver
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I just learned that the chrome on the SD's is garbage.. I'm finally getting to do a good handwash on the truck and realized my grille, front/rear bumpers all have small specks of rust after less than 4 months of ownership. Guess I need to call the dealer...

Another reason to black the truck out...

I guess I need to buy an aftermarket steering stabilizer kit too, for whatever reason, my truck didn't come with one. Maybe it'll correct my issue of the steering wheel flying out of my hands over rough parts of the road.

Old 04-10-2011, 08:29 PM
Sargemo105
Senior User
Originally Posted by 2000silverbullet
I just learned that the chrome on the SD's is garbage.. I'm finally getting to do a good handwash on the truck and realized my grille, front/rear bumpers all have small specks of rust after less than 4 months of ownership. Guess I need to call the dealer...
Another reason to black the truck out...

I guess I need to buy an aftermarket steering stabilizer kit too, for whatever reason, my truck didn't come with one. Maybe it'll correct my issue of the steering wheel flying out of my hands over rough parts of the road.
Interesting...post your results if you add a stabilizer.

Old 04-11-2011, 06:41 PM
socapots
Senior User
pressing the -nus button while in drive will take away gears in the transmission.. works all the way down to 1st.
good if you want to keep it in a certain gear i guess.

Old 04-13-2011, 07:27 AM
kmonty2
Posting Guru
I found out 2 things last night while cleaning the truck.

1. The grill will take 30 min to clean after being on the highway for a while. I thing the bugs like looking at themselves in the chrome.

2. Don't put Armor All on the black part of the running boards, make them very slippery.

Old 04-13-2011, 06:03 PM
socapots
Senior User
lol.
good looking out man.
ive yet to give the truck a proper clean on the outside. Just cant get up the ***** to hand wash when its still only 0 outside. lol. These days i just spray it down at the wand wash.

Old 04-13-2011, 08:50 PM
Technocrsr
Senior User
I did the first 'Hand' cleaning today and did not find any other damage than the 'shipping dent' already ID't
But when I looked behind the front Air Dam I found two scoop like brackets under the tow hooks, pointing down.
It kinda looks like they are air dam protectors but that would be strange.
Point is that I like to put an grille guard on and have to remove these brackets, the installation instructions show a 2011 model but not those brackets, anyone have an idea what they are for if you have them?

Old 04-14-2011, 09:17 PM
socapots
Senior User
pretty sure my truck has those same brackets. I didnt take a good look. But at first glance it looked like they were welded to the frame.?? my truck is a gasser.
My company also has a diesel 2011 that has the same things on it..

as for what they are for... dunno..
something to do with a snow plow perhaps? look pretty stout.

Old 04-15-2011, 11:08 PM
iggy2
Senior User
What I learned this past week

OverviewJust got back from a 700 mile trip pulling a 5th wheel trailer and wanted to update you on the performance and mpg on my new 2011 F-250 6.2L. Truck had just went over 1,000 miles before trip.

Truck - 2011 F-250, 6.2L, LB, SC 2x4, 3.73 rear

DetailsThis trip was mostly on Interstate highways and I ranged speed from 55 mph to 70 mph.
I kept transmission in D and did not manually select or remove any gears.
The trip was from Phoenix Arizona to San Diego California and back.
Most of the trip was level except for the climb at Palm Springs westbound.
Westbound I had a headwind of 8-10 mph which hurt mileage.
In Arizona I drove 65 -70mph and in California 55-61 mph.
AC was always on for the entire trip.
My 30ft 5th wheel weighs 8,800 lbs total. 7,500 on the 2 axles and 1,300 on the hitch.
Most of the trip I stayed at 61mph and 1600 rpms which was the sweet spot for the Engine & Trans.
All of my fuel was 87 octane with 10% ethanol which I didn’t like but that what was available.
Outside air temp ranged from 65 to 90 degrees.
When filling with fuel I pumped until the automatic nozzle clicked off and I went up to the next full dollar amount. This makes all fill-ups consistently close in being the same.

My observations.Transmission took at least 5 miles to get up to 165-175 degrees.
Transmission temperature ranged between 184 – 199 degrees.
Engine had plenty of power and torque in all speed ranges.
Transmission did not miss any gears and was very smooth shifting.
The exhaust sound is good at cruising and downshifting sounds great!
Pass a few trucks pulling trailers, Dodge Cummins, Ford F-150 and even an F-250 Powerstroke.
Engine response was very quick when I needed it.
Mileage westbound with headwind was 8.7 mpg. (Hand calculated)
Mileage eastbound was 9.3 and 9.4 mpg on two fillips. (Hand calculated)
When hitting the headwind the truck liked 5th gear but quickly changed to 6th when wind decresed.

My thoughts and conclusionI converted from a F-250 6.0L Powerstroke diesel to the 6.2L gasser.
I’m very happy and have been pleasantly surprised in the performance of the engine and transmission.
I hope with time and miles my pulling mpg may raise and reach 10mpg which I think is possible.
The continental tires were good and quiet on the highways.
Hopefully this will give you a better idea of the performance of the 6.2L gas engine.
In the next month I will drive 3,000 miles pulling this trailer. I will update you after the trip.

Quick Reply: What new thing did you learn about your 2011 SuperDuty?