Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Truck horns, which ones???

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2011, 12:25 PM
snaponprofile
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Talking Truck horns, which ones???

Hey Ya'll, I am planning on getting some truck horns for my F250. I don't really want to get train horns but rather horns that sound like the big rigs. I was planning on getting them from Texas air horns and I'm wondering if any of you have any experience with them? I'd love to see where you got your horns and how they work. Also, where do you mount/wire up your horns? I was planning on mounting them in the engine compartment somewhere.

I was thinking of this kit.

YouTube - CX 1601 Dual Connect Chrome Truck Air Horn Test

I really like the sound of this horn though.

Thanks to any answers,
Snapon.

Old 03-31-2011, 04:49 PM
snaponprofile
Postmaster
Anyone ever put air horns on your truck? If so, where'd you get em' from and how do they work?? Thanks so much, snapon.

Old 04-01-2011, 08:04 AM
snaponprofile
Postmaster
Anyone?? last bump.

Old 04-01-2011, 11:29 AM
L. Ward
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My younger brother ran air horns on his 91 F150 4x4, I dont remember where he mounted the tank tho. On his Super Duty F350 he runs a Code 3 electric horn with a 100w speaker behind the grill. On my F350 I am running a Code 3 with dual 100w speakers behind the grill (mine is also a siren unit) altho I have debated about adding a stutter tone airhorn YouTube - Grover 1510 Air Horns

Some things to keep in mind in running air horns.

1) They need ALOT of air!! Dont use wimpy air line unless you want a wimpy sounding air horn

2) You need a tank to really do them justice, the instant on compressors are ok, but better to mount a tank somewhere with the compressor set to keep the tank full when the truck is running

3) air line routing can be a PITA, especially running 1/2" line to properly supply the horns

Also, altho they do make electric controlled air solenoids that you can use to honk the horns (the ones on the fire engines are floor mounted switches, you can get them at anyplace that services/sells fire trucks) I kind of like the manual trolley valve I have 4 Chrome Valve & Stand [094010] : 75 Chrome Shop, Chrome Semi Truck accessories, parts, and service mounted on the Peterbilt to control the train horns, as you can manually control how much air flow is headed to the horns, anything from a mild 'honk' to a full on tank draining "HHHOOOONNNKKK!!"

BTW, if your really want LOUD, get a Nathan K5LA, run it with 1/2" air line with the above trolley valve and a 5gal air tank

YouTube - Nathan K5LA drive by test at night (best sounding)

YouTube - Nathan K5HL Train Horn on my Highlander SUV - Short Version

Old 04-01-2011, 03:19 PM
Volvo92906
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have two 24" trumpets on my truck with a compressor and an air tank off a Volvo N Series truck. I have the compressor in the fender where the coffee can is and the air tank in the back and the trumpets under the hood. Sounds great.

Old 04-01-2011, 04:02 PM
snaponprofile
Postmaster
Thanks for the responses, I'm definately running a onboard tank. Probably a 2 gallon, with the horn mounted in the engine compartment. Anyone know if you can mount the horns on the frame? I know there is room, but do the horns need to be in a area away from the elements? If I got a long trumpet, it wouldn't fit in the engine compartment.

Thanks.

Old 04-01-2011, 04:21 PM
Volvo92906
Posting Guru
Theyre metal, youll be fine wherever they go. If mud or snow does get into them and you blow them youll see the stuff come flying out. Happens on the big trucks too. Some are on the roof (standard) and others are under the cab on the frame. You wont be doing anything that hasnt been done before.

Also... If you need to know what size lines to run 3/8" line is perfect to the horns, and the valve (whether its the pull string or electric valve) and a 1/2" line from the compressor to the tank (assuming you have an externally mounted one). Get the plastic lines too. Theyre cheaper. Last check the 3/8 was a dollar a foot.

I work on semis for a living... I see this stuff daily.

Old 04-01-2011, 05:37 PM
snaponprofile
Postmaster
Coolness, thanks. Will this stuff work? Also, what size compressor/ tank size would I need? Just curious, where do you guys get you big rig horns?? I was pretty sure I was gonna get my stuff from here - there a better place?

Do this sound like the big rig horns??

Old 04-01-2011, 08:05 PM
L. Ward
Elder User
That tubing will work fine, and as Volvo pointed out, the horns are metal so they are pretty forgiving on where you mount them. I will mention tho, if you go frame mount, make sure to mount the horns at a slight downward angle to help prevent water from building up in the diaphragm, and a set of snowshields would'nt huit either. The compressor will be an electric one, and a 2 gal tank would work well. If you have a semi junkyard in the area you might check them out for some used horns. The horn you posted a link to is not a bad sounding horn, just remember when they are recording the sound on them, they are powering the horn with a 1/2" air line hooked to a industrial compressor, so it will be a bit louder than a 2gal tank and 3/8 line will be.

Old 04-01-2011, 08:56 PM
jv2290
Senior User
I have a dual trumpet air horn that I believe came off a ford 9000. I mounted mine underneath the cab on the driver side (right below the drivers seat) and the hose came up threw the floor (when you open the door and look down you can see the air line just under the seat) and put a electric valve on it. I then used air hose (just like for air tools on a compressor) and ran it out a grommet threw the back of the cab floor behind the seat. It's factory grommet. it then goes into the bed where I drilled a hole to my approximate 5 gallon air tank is. It's in the bed temporarily til I mount it on the frame. I use a tire valve type fitting to fill it. I have a pump, just never installed it yet. It does require drilling into your floor but it's out of the way. I just recommend covers for the horns because mud will get in them. My truck is old and junky so I didn't mind drilling. You'll probably not like to drill lol don't blame ya! I'll take pictures tomorrow morning and post them to show you. One of my ideas was to put the tank behind the seat. That way I don't gotta run anything threw the cab.

Old 04-02-2011, 03:58 PM
snaponprofile
Postmaster
Thanks ya'll, so I will mount the horn on the frame and the compressor I'll put in the engine compartment(behind the pass. side battery). I'm gonna see if I can find a semi junkyard somewhere around, I'd love to buy a kit used and save some $$$. What size compressors do the semi's use?

Old 04-02-2011, 04:53 PM
jv2290
Senior User
Originally Posted by snaponprofile
Thanks ya'll, so I will mount the horn on the frame and the compressor I'll put in the engine compartment(behind the pass. side battery). I'm gonna see if I can find a semi junkyard somewhere around, I'd love to buy a kit used and save some $$$. What size compressors do the semi's use?
Semis got pumps on their engine that run off fan belts. the pump is similar to ones on a shop air compressor

Old 04-02-2011, 05:12 PM
snaponprofile
Postmaster
Oh ok, I'll just look around then, thanks.

Old 04-02-2011, 06:50 PM
L. Ward
Elder User
Originally Posted by jv2290
Semis got pumps on their engine that run off fan belts. the pump is similar to ones on a shop air compressor
Semi's use pumps that are gear driven and attached directly to the motor. Some smaller class straight trucks use belt driven compressors. If you want an engine driven one, the best bet would be to go with something like this --> Project Jeep CJ-7 - Onboard Air System York AC Compressor Conversion

Old 04-02-2011, 06:51 PM
snaponprofile
Postmaster
Is this look like a suitable kit?? Kinda pricey but is this the basic setup I will need?

Hornblasters Air Horn Products Catalog! Find The Perfect Train Air Horn For Your Car Or Truck!

Quick Reply: Truck horns, which ones???