Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Engine noise

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2011, 05:52 PM
homesteader
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine noise

Can someone tell me what this noise might be? It sounds like a compression leak,it sounds just like and exh leak. But I wouldn't think it wouldn't be as you can see in the video it doesn't blow the cap off.YouTube - Engine

Old 03-26-2011, 08:56 PM
tritonman2001
Senior User
Soundds like a compression leak to me. You said it doesn't move the cap, put the cap on upside down and don't hold it.

Old 03-26-2011, 10:03 PM
Bonanza35
Lead Driver

Received 140 Likes on 100 Posts
I would like to hear the anwser to this one. You would think you would here it all the time.

Old 03-27-2011, 12:16 AM
puller45
Senior User
I would pull the valve cover for starters, hard to tell what it is but you'll never know till you start looking. I would have to know asap.

Old 03-27-2011, 01:47 AM
homesteader
Elder User
Originally Posted by tritonman2001
Soundds like a compression leak to me. You said it doesn't move the cap, put the cap on upside down and don't hold it.
Yes the cap is upside down,I'm just keeping my finger there so it doesn't slide off. I would think if it is a compression leak it would blow the cap off.

Old 03-27-2011, 01:52 AM
homesteader
Elder User
Okay guys I forgot to mention with the cap on it sounds normal. I just want to make sure everything is good before pulling the engine. Would a bent push rod cause that? But with a bent push rod the valve would close sooner or not open all the way. It has to be something on the compression stroke. Could compression pass the injectors?

Old 03-27-2011, 09:33 AM
izzybird
Elder User

Have you done anything under the valve covers lately? Can you hear that noise through the intake?
You could try unplugging the UVCH connections and see if the noise goes away to determine a side.
If that works, yank the valve cover and unplug each injector individually to determine a cylinder.
Inspect rocker arms and pushrods for damage.
Your probably going to have to yank valve cover regardless, and your problem might be right there staring you in the face.

Old 03-27-2011, 12:43 PM
homesteader
Elder User
Originally Posted by izzybird
Have you done anything under the valve covers lately? N0 I have not done anything under the valve cover yet.Can you hear that noise through the intake?No noise through the intake.I have the air filter off too.
You could try unplugging the UVCH connections and see if the noise goes away to determine a side.Is that with the engine running or unplug first then start.
If that works, yank the valve cover and unplug each injector individually to determine a cylinder.Will it run with vc off?
Inspect rocker arms and pushrods for damage.
Your probably going to have to yank valve cover regardless, and your problem might be right there staring you in the face.
I will try to work on it this week.

Old 03-29-2011, 02:23 AM
homesteader
Elder User
Well I think I found my problem. I pulled the right VC today and found a glow plug wire hanging with out and end. I loked at the glow plug and the top had blownoff. I pulled the GP and found a little hole in it. That could have blown the top off I would guess. But what cold have cause that hole or some what pitted hole. The top of the glow plug are know where to be found. It looks like it has been that way for a while because the wire break dont look fresh.

Is that a bad thing,that it was blowing compression through the glow plug? I'm still going to do a compression as soon my adapter gets in.

Old 03-29-2011, 02:46 AM
homesteader
Elder User
Here it is with the VC off.

YouTube - Gp missing

Old 03-29-2011, 06:18 AM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 783 Likes on 595 Posts
I don't think you need to do a compression test unless you just want to.
It won't hurt the engine at all venting the pressure like that.
What I would do if it was my truck is to retorque all the rocker pedastals (20 foot pounds) and injector retainers (120 inch pounds).
Replace the wiring harnesses, make sure that the valve cover gasket connectors are not burned and if so, replace the valve cover gaskets too.
Put it all back together, change the oil and drive it.

Old 03-29-2011, 06:20 AM
ltl_jrw
Senior User

Originally Posted by homesteader
Well I think I found my problem. I pulled the right VC today and found a glow plug wire hanging with out and end. I loked at the glow plug and the top had blownoff. I pulled the GP and found a little hole in it. That could have blown the top off I would guess. But what cold have cause that hole or some what pitted hole. The top of the glow plug are know where to be found. It looks like it has been that way for a while because the wire break dont look fresh.

Is that a bad thing,that it was blowing compression through the glow plug? I'm still going to do a compression as soon my adapter gets in.
As to what blew the top of the plug off I would guess it was a defective plug, who knows, your guess is as good as anyones.

I personally don't think it has hurt anything. The compression had a place to go so you are good to go. Replace the glow plug and wire end, button it up and enjoy.

Old 03-29-2011, 10:38 AM
homesteader
Elder User
Originally Posted by Kwikkordead
I don't think you need to do a compression test unless you just want to.
It won't hurt the engine at all venting the pressure like that.
What I would do if it was my truck is to retorque all the rocker pedastals (20 foot pounds) and injector retainers (120 inch pounds).
Replace the wiring harnesses, make sure that the valve cover gasket connectors are not burned and if so, replace the valve cover gaskets too.
Put it all back together, change the oil and drive it.
Yeh I wanted to a compression test just to check the condition of engine. That truck was in an accident so the only thing I got left is trans and motor. I sold the rest of the good parts. That engine could be going in another truck. So it will go on a stand, change some parts and into that truck. Is there a wiring harness just for the glow plugs? Or do I have to replace the injector and Glow plug harness?

Thanks

Old 03-29-2011, 01:24 PM
Bonanza35
Lead Driver

Received 140 Likes on 100 Posts
Good find. I'm with Dan on this one. The plug could of been cracked when installed and just broke loose after use. Who knowns. If it was runing alright not many of us would of noticed it if the noise was only when the oil cap was removed. good luck, Chet

Old 03-29-2011, 01:45 PM
BillyBob69
Lead Driver

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
No help here but I always love watching an engine working when you can see the parts moving. Thanks!

Quick Reply: Engine noise