1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to prep your plow for the off-season

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2011, 05:48 AM
pbeering
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How to prep your plow for the off-season

Many of our Fluid Film customers ask about how to most effectively use Fluid Film to protect and preserve snow equipment. Note that this approach works on any piece of equipment, including winches/winch cable, undercarriages, etc. Here is a step by step approach:

1. Visually inspect everything.
2. Tighten all bolts.
3. Change Fluid. (This is plow specific, and beyond the scope of this post)

4. Bath time! Soap once, rinse thrice.

5. Blow dry, air dry, or wipe dry, but dry.

6. Remove rust, scale, peeling powder coat, etc.

7. Touch up where needed. We used Rustoleum here, but POR-15 can be used too.

8. Once paint is dry, time for Fluid Film. Apply to all surfaces that rub, need protection, etc. Use bulk product on slide boxes, spray on others. We use a mustard bottle, but chip brushes work very well too.

9, Spray the mold board to protect it.

10. Springs, spring hangers all get a coat.

11. Spray the mainfold block, outside of motor, electric connections. Note that this applies to frame mounted and truck mounted pumps, motors, etc.

12. Spray all hydraulic fittings, hose ends and pins.

13. Clean both plow-side and truck-side of electric plugs, main plug with terminal cleaner and then liberally apply Fluid Film.

14. Inspect light assemblies and apply Fluid Film as needed.

15. Cover with a sheet, tarp, plastic (select based on storage location), park in corner, preferably inside.

Old 03-31-2011, 07:09 AM
mnpowerstroke99duty
Senior User
Good write up.I'm going to have to try Fluid Film. I've heard a lot of good about it.Do you pretty much spray everything with the Fluid Film?Next year I'm going to spray underneath my truck with it to.

Old 03-31-2011, 07:18 AM
pbeering
Elder User
Originally Posted by mnpowerstroke99duty
Good write up.I'm going to have to try Fluid Film. I've heard a lot of good about it.Do you pretty much spray everything with the Fluid Film?Next year I'm going to spray underneath my truck with it to.
Yes, the more the merrier. The plow we did this on is 5 years old and has had Fluid Film applied religiously. No need to wait on the under-side, do it now and then touch up in the fall.

Old 03-31-2011, 07:43 AM
fast_st
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looks good, I've used cosmoline and weathershield from Shafco, 5 gallon pails and a pump sprayer, does a truck good.

Old 03-31-2011, 08:42 AM
grec-o-face
Posting Guru
If you haven't used FF before - you don't know what you're missing!! I love the stuff - even starting to like the smell. I coat everything in Fluid Flim. Just keep it off of the exhaust and you're good!

Last summer I coated my Fisher MM2 set-up with FF, and this winter it was still on there. The best lube/protectant I've ever tried. If you're a plowsite.com member you can ask for a free sample from DanO - he's a site sponser. That's what sold me! Now I can't get enough of it!

Old 03-31-2011, 12:28 PM
wizardsr
More Turbo
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Oh c'mon Peter. Everyone knows it's best to just stick your plow under the tree out back and not worry about it until the flakes fly next fall.

Seriously, nice write-up!

Old 03-31-2011, 01:00 PM
Sarge261
Logistics Pro
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
The way the weather is going up here were not going to have an off season. Another 6-12" of snow predicted for tonight through Saturday morning. The old 85 K20 is earing his keep this year.

Good write up though. If I ever get a new plow for the truck I am restoring then I will fluid film it. If I ever have thenned to put a plow on my SD I will fluid film the wole truck.

I have used there product on the inside of my tail gate and dorrs and it works great.

Sarge

Old 03-31-2011, 03:06 PM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
I spray all my stuff with waste oil.

Old 03-31-2011, 08:42 PM
ro11ovr
Freshman User
If you moved to Mississippi you could forget what a snow plow is. I dont think the hwy department has any of them. When we got our 6 inch blizzard they just spread some clay on the intersections, major curves, and hills and let it ride. If its not gone in a day the get out a few bobcats and plow with those.

Old 03-31-2011, 08:45 PM
ro11ovr
Freshman User
On a different note. This fluid film stuff-- would it work good to go on the frame and inner fenders of say a rzr or atv to keep the mud from sticking. We have really sticky gumbo mud down here that sticks to everything like glue. I normally use tire wet or baby oil but this stuff sounds like it might last longer. THe baby oil, tire wet, or WD-40 seems to come off to quick when you hit water a few times. If it would work for this purpose where can you get it and what does it cost.

Old 03-31-2011, 08:53 PM
pbeering
Elder User
Originally Posted by ro11ovr
On a different note. This fluid film stuff-- would it work good to go on the frame and inner fenders of say a rzr or atv to keep the mud from sticking. We have really sticky gumbo mud down here that sticks to everything like glue. I normally use tire wet or baby oil but this stuff sounds like it might last longer. THe baby oil, tire wet, or WD-40 seems to come off to quick when you hit water a few times. If it would work for this purpose where can you get it and what does it cost.
Yes it will work for that purpose. I have a number of folks who buy it to keep grass from sticking to mower decks too.

Surf to Fluid Film® | Corrosion Preventative, Lubricant and Rust Inhibitor

Find familiar names, mention FTE for fast free shipping and discount pricing

Old 03-31-2011, 10:17 PM
ro11ovr
Freshman User
cool thanks for the info.

Old 04-01-2011, 12:37 AM
sledheadm7
Senior User
one the ranch we spray everything with WD-40 in the off seasons works great

Old 04-01-2011, 06:37 AM
rjfetz1
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm not a big fan of fluid film. Very, very messy to clean off at the beginning of the season. However, when i had a Blizzard plow i did use it as Blizzard plows seem to rust really bad and WD-40 could not handle the task. Now I have a Boss vee ( not starting a plow war here) and wash it, change the fluid, cover it and put it away. 3 winters and no rust yet. Come winter it is ready to go with no sticky stuff that everything under the sun sticks too.

Old 04-01-2011, 07:47 AM
pbeering
Elder User
Originally Posted by rjfetz1
I'm not a big fan of fluid film. Very, very messy to clean off at the beginning of the season. However, when i had a Blizzard plow i did use it as Blizzard plows seem to rust really bad and WD-40 could not handle the task. Now I have a Boss vee ( not starting a plow war here) and wash it, change the fluid, cover it and put it away. 3 winters and no rust yet. Come winter it is ready to go with no sticky stuff that everything under the sun sticks too.

to correct the problem you describe, apply as shown above, then wipe with a rag. Still leaves enough to protect, but not so much as to be a problem.

Sikorsky actually says leave the residue on several components on the Blackhawk helicopters. I have found that it almost always wipes clean, which is pretty much the point.

(And no worries about plow nameplates, I have a BOSS on one of the fleet and like it a lot, so much so that that truck will get a bigger one this summer)

Quick Reply: How to prep your plow for the off-season