1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Backup Camera Mod for 5th wheel truck

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2011, 05:43 PM
iggy2
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Backup Camera Mod for 5th wheel truck

I just recently purchased a new Ford F-250 which came with a backup camera. Well I had to remove the tailgate and install my 5th wheel V tailgate.

I thought it would be neat to have a camera that when backing up see the hitch alignment and would show in the backup mirror.

I puchased a miniture camera and tapped into the power and video circuit at the rear of the truck and installed the camera in my cargo box lid.
Simple wiring and in a few hours I had it done.

Here are the pictures.
This is the camera I purchased. LINK
If you want more info just ask.

PICTURES

Old 03-30-2011, 06:16 PM
cameronm
New User
That is awesome! I'm planning to tow my boat behind my 5er and I've been wondering how I would accomplish something similar to that - except that I would want to see a live shot behind my 5er on my rear view mirror's camera viewport.

Any ideas?

Old 03-30-2011, 06:29 PM
iggy2
Senior User
Originally Posted by cameronm
That is awesome! I'm planning to tow my boat behind my 5er and I've been wondering how I would accomplish something similar to that - except that I would want to see a live shot behind my 5er on my rear view mirror's camera viewport.

Any ideas?
Depending on your truck you will need to install the camera on the back of the 5th wheel trauler roof and run a 2 pair shielded cable to back to the truck. If you remove your tailgate and your truck camera hook up would be the same and easy.
If you still have your tailgate with camera still on your truck you will need to install a switch that you can turn on either camera but not both.
I have a drawing of the wiring of the switch ifyou are interested.
PM me with your email address.
Iggy

Old 03-31-2011, 10:56 AM
ommegang
Senior User
I want to do the same thing for my tailgate salter. Does that wiring harness plug directly into the OEM camera plug? Is the quality as good as the OEM camera picture?
I was looking at one of these but was told it wouldn't be compatable. Rydeen Mini-cam -- Rydeen

Old 03-31-2011, 12:36 PM
kmonty2
Posting Guru
I would also like to have the camera in back of the trailer. But I did not get the backup camera with my truck. Is there still a hookup on the trucks without the camera. Also is the wiring going to the mirror too? I have the auto dimming mirror with some wires coming down to it. Would it just be swapping out the mirror for one with a screen in it? Didn't think I would need it, but it would be nice to have and would recommend it to anyone ordering a truck.

Old 03-31-2011, 05:43 PM
iggy2
Senior User
Originally Posted by kmonty2
I would also like to have the camera in back of the trailer. But I did not get the backup camera with my truck. Is there still a hookup on the trucks without the camera. Also is the wiring going to the mirror too? I have the auto dimming mirror with some wires coming down to it. Would it just be swapping out the mirror for one with a screen in it? Didn't think I would need it, but it would be nice to have and would recommend it to anyone ordering a truck.
I'm not sure if they have the wiring if not ordered.
Check at your rear lic plate and look above it to the back cross frame.
If it is there it should have a bright orange cap over the nonused plug.

Old 03-31-2011, 05:47 PM
iggy2
Senior User
Originally Posted by ommegang
I want to do the same thing for my tailgate salter. Does that wiring harness plug directly into the OEM camera plug? Is the quality as good as the OEM camera picture?
I was looking at one of these but was told it wouldn't be compatable. Rydeen Mini-cam -- Rydeen
I may have just lucked out and found a camera that worked.
I have also seen the camera you are talking about installed on a F-150
so I would say it should work. All you need is a one that uses 12 volts DC and a similiar resolution as the one I installed.

Also the FORD OEM camera is much shaper and brighter image and it also have the colored bars to show distance. That is built into the camera itself.

Old 04-19-2011, 04:16 PM
cameronm
New User
Iggy,

Could you explain the steps you took in removing the camera and tailgate? Does the camera have a quick disconnect of sorts?

I want to keep the factory installed camera in the tail gate but I need to run another camera to the back of my 5er while cruising down the highway (just one or the other either by flipping a switch or unplugging/plugging the correct one). My factory camera displays when I'm in reverse, which is fine but I need the second camera to stay on all the time when I'm pulling my 5er.

Old 04-19-2011, 05:06 PM
F350BULLY
New User
I am also very interested in this topic as I just purchased a new 5er and want to mount a camera in the rear light over the back window to see the hitch mount and then a second camera behind the 5er so that I can see when I tow the bike trailer as well
Will keep watching for updates

Mike

Old 04-19-2011, 07:07 PM
PITS
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I posted this one in another camera thread:

Uniden - "Home"

Old 04-19-2011, 07:49 PM
milkman-06
Senior User
Good post iggy2, I'll keep an eye on this one incase I need the info.
Regards,
Russ

Old 04-19-2011, 09:55 PM
lakedweller
Elder User
I like it, I bought a Uniden wireless camera and monitor from Sams. I can set the camera on my box and watch as I hitch up. I can take to the rear of my 5er and see to backup. Then put it away till next time....

Old 04-20-2011, 07:11 AM
Trucky2
Senior User
You can get a kit or you can just buy the components separate and save some money. I got my camera for $16 and 30' of Video/Power cable for $26. Make sure to look for a weather-proof day/night camera. Test your mounting locations with a helper before you drill. I put mine in the bumper next to the tag and got flare at night from the tag lights. I only have bumper pull trailers so ended up making a mount that fits between the 7-way plug and the actual hitch. I can see the ball for hookups and also get a decent view for regular backing up situations.

Your monitor can be almost anything that supports 12V video inputs. I originally bought an LCD monitor that clips over the rear view with a reverse sense input but ended up swapping out my radio with a dual DIN DVD player so I use that as my monitor.

So, you really only need 3 components... Camera, Display and connecting cable.

Old 09-30-2019, 12:59 PM
ac7nj
New User
Camera wiring diagrams

Originally Posted by iggy2
Depending on your truck you will need to install the camera on the back of the 5th wheel trauler roof and run a 2 pair shielded cable to back to the truck. If you remove your tailgate and your truck camera hook up would be the same and easy.
If you still have your tailgate with camera still on your truck you will need to install a switch that you can turn on either camera but not both.
I have a drawing of the wiring of the switch ifyou are interested.
PM me with your email address.
Iggy
Please send me the information by email ac7nj@arrl.met thank you

Old 01-02-2020, 12:10 AM
'12 Duty Super
Cross-Country
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have a Lockpick unit that lets you add a camera plus unlock your SYNC nav system if anyone is interested. You have to have the SYNC system with the hard drive (has jukebox). You can go here for more info https://www.coastaletech.com/synclockpick.htm.

Quick Reply: Backup Camera Mod for 5th wheel truck