It's not WVO, it's not B100- what the hell is it?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2011, 08:45 AM
Jeffrey S Brooks
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wal1809
If it's working for you then I would have to agree with you. Keep on with the keeping on as we wvo/bd/blender people are all in the same boat. We are all scrutinized, laughed at, called fools and don't forget we are crazy. So if we were to put down each itdrs methods or infighting so to speak, then we would not progress.
Well put, wal1809. Each of the three methods of burning recycled WVO require specific methods, and if those methods are not observed, then one is likely to have problems. I find the biggest problem for blenders to overcome is they tend to be too conservative. While blending WVO with diesle fuel at 50% works adequately in the summer, it tends to cause gelling and coking in the winter time. It turns out most successful blenders blend WVO with gasoline at 20%. Such a blend will remain liquid below 0F (-18c) and the engine will start just fine at those temperatures without the use of a block heater.

Old 04-08-2011, 01:21 PM
Major Marvin
Elder User
If it's working for you then I would have to agree with you. Keep on with the keeping on as we wvo/bd/blender people are all in the same boat. We are all scrutinized, laughed at, called fools and don't forget we are crazy. So if we were to put down each itdrs methods or infighting so to speak, then we would not progress.
I am crazy according to the docs but am now confused to boot!

When blending diesel to vo or wvo does it need to be preheated via radiator heat, etc.? I am looking for some alternate fuel options for my 7.3 PSD but will in no way chance any problems with my rig.. it's my daily driver, hence the blending question..

Thanks..

Old 04-08-2011, 03:37 PM
fabmandelux
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Time for some FACTS.

"This paper is a review of literature concerning using vegetable oils as a
replacement for diesel fuel. The term vegetable oils as used in this paper refers to
vegetable oils which have not been modified by transesterification or similar processes to
form what is called biodiesel. The oils studied include virgin and used oils of various
types including soy, rapeseed, canola, sunflower, cottonseed and similar oils. In general,
raw vegetable oils can be used successfully in short term performance tests in nearly any
percentage as a replacement for diesel fuel. When tested in long term tests blends above
20 percent nearly always result in engine damage or maintenance problems. Some
authors report success in using vegetable oils as diesel fuel extenders in blends less than
20 percent even in long term durability studies. Degumming is suggested by one author
as a way to improve use of raw oils in low level blends. It is apparent that few, if any,
engine studies using low-level blends of unmodified vegetable oils, < 20%, have been
conducted."

And:
"Engine Testing by Ziejewski and Kaufman (1982) at Allis Chalmers using a
50/50 blend of sunflower oil and diesel was unsuccessful. Carbon buildup on the
injectors, intake ports, and piston rings caused engine operating difficulties and eventual
catastrophic failure."

"Conclusions
Many studies involving use of un-modifed vegetable oils in blend ratios with
diesel fuel exceeding 20 percent were conducted in the early 1980’s. Short-term engine
testing indicates that vegetable oils can readily be used as a fuel source when the
vegetable oils are used alone or are blended with diesel fuel. Long-term engine research
shows that engine durability is questionable when fuel blends contain more than 20%
vegetable oil by volume"

All this was taken from a study by Sam Jones and Charles L. Peterson from the Unversity of Idaho. I've met with both of them and both said the same thing in person, "all studys show engine damage with extended use"

The whole study: http://journeytoforever.org/biofuel_...slitreview.pdf

Want more? http://www.dudadiesel.com/DSE.php It's about DSE, but the same thing applys...............

Personaly, I've torn down two engines that were distroyed by using UNHEATED WVO. One was unheated WVO and one was a blender.

I've NEVER had any problems running biodiesel, and I've made and used over 10,000 gallons in the past 6+ years.

Would I take a chance on MY diesels? NO WAY!

Old 04-08-2011, 05:17 PM
wal1809
Freshman User
I am not a blender. To each his own, I have just seen too many examples of cold oil engine failure. Glycerin must be dealt with one way or the other. I am simply not convinced blending will make a complete and total burn, turning the glycerin to vapor. Once it gums and gets into the rings, substantial and catastrophic failure will begin.

Old 04-08-2011, 07:01 PM
Major Marvin
Elder User
Weird side note: I filled up with B20 earlier in the week and after running it for a few days I smelled fuel in the cab when I get in to start the truck up in the morning. I figured something was wrong so I went right back to dino. Not sure if it's my sensitive sniffer or not. I checked all around the fuel filter and found no fuel. Not sure what is up. . .

Last edited by Major Marvin; 04-08-2011 at 07:03 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 04-09-2011, 03:25 PM
Jeffrey S Brooks
New User
[quote=fabmandelux;10197419]If you closely examine the paper "Engine Testing by Ziejewski and Kaufman (1982) at Allis Chalmers you will find they only used diesel fuel as their blend agent, so one can draw no conclusions from this paper regarding blending with other solvents, such as: Kerosene or gasoline.

There is now considerable documentation on blending various solvents with vegetable oils available at the following URL:
Blending - Biopowered

Old 04-09-2011, 03:57 PM
fabmandelux
Post Fiend
Try again.........I posted links to formal studys that show blending is not good. Your link proves nothing, but does have this disclamer:

"The information contained in this website is for general reference only. The site owners and contributors make no representations or warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability, suitability or availability of the information contained on the website for any purpose. Any reliance you place on such information is therefore strictly at your own risk. By using this website, you agree that the site owners and contributors will not be held responsible for any loss, damage, injury, prosecution or inconvenience arising from the manufacture and use of biodiesel, associated equipment and chemicals, including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage."

Should I post links from this very forum showing how people have DISTROYED their engines from "blending???????????

Old 04-10-2011, 08:49 AM
Jeffrey S Brooks
New User
Originally Posted by fabmandelux
Should I post links from this very forum showing how people have DISTROYED their engines from "blending???????????
Sure, fabmandelux, and I can post links to biofuels forums all over the world that show people have destroyed their engines using biodiesel and two-tank SVO systems. However, if one were to dig a little further, then one will find in most cases where someone destroyed their engine from burning biofuels, they would have done so through improper technique. I am all about promoting the skillful use of blending solvents with recycled oils to make a viable diesel fuel.

I can also site numerous links where quite a few people have blown up their biodiesel processor, which caused severe burns on the majority of their body, burned their workshop down, in some cases burned their house down and even set the neighborhood on fire. However, will that further the correct use of biofuels, or will it just instill fear?

Old 04-11-2011, 07:49 AM
wal1809
Freshman User
I think we missed the point about us slingin mud on each others methods. If we throw mud at each other then the non believers won't have to. If blending works for you then kewl. If it doesn't work for you, then kewl do what works for you. In the end it is all about getting off of the middle eastern tittie anyway.

Old 04-11-2011, 08:37 AM
Jeffrey S Brooks
New User
I think we missed the point about us slingin mud on each others methods. If we throw mud at each other then the non believers won't have to. If blending works for you then kewl. If it doesn't work for you, then kewl do what works for you. In the end it is all about getting off of the middle eastern tittie anyway.
Good, points, but I do not think "slingin mud on each others methods" helps anyone. Let us just report our findings with our methods and let every one exercise a little critical thinking.

Old 04-11-2011, 09:52 AM
fabmandelux
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Jeffrey S Brooks
Good, points, but I do not think "slingin mud on each others methods" helps anyone. Let us just report our findings with our methods and let every one exercise a little critical thinking.

"slinging mud" is not what I'm about. TRUTH IS what I'm about.

From your info on the Bio Fuels Forum:
  • About Jeffrey S. Brooks <DL class="list_no_decoration profilefield_list"><DT class=shade>Vehicle <DD>1983 Chevy Van with a 6.2L V-diesel engine <DT class=shade>Location <DD>Tucson, AZ, USA <DT class=shade>Biography <DD>I have been a technician for more than 35 years and prefer blending WVO for my fuel <DT class=shade>Interests <DD>bio-fuels <DT class=shade>Occupation <DD>archaeologist </DD></DL>
Why are you on a FORD site promoting blending, and you are doing this with a CHEVY.............

And you never said ANYTHING about distroying IP's:

problem with blends on a 6.2L/6.5L diesel engine
<HR style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #d1d1e1; COLOR: #d1d1e1" SIZE=1>"I have been doing biofuels research with an old 6.2L diesel engine for four years. My method is blending gasoline with vegetable oil at 20% gasoline/80% Waste Vegetable Oil (WVO).

I find the STANADYNE DB2 Injection Pumps are failing after about 9 months on the above fuel blend. I believe the problem is one or more seals inside the Injector Pump are failing due to the presence of alcohol in my blend, because in regions were alcohol is not blended into the gasoline, bio-blenders do not tend to have failed injector pumps. In my region alcohol is commonly blended into gasoline at 10-20%, which means my bio-blend includes 2-4% alcohol, which is most probably ethyl, but might be methyl alcohol. At that percentage of alcohol there might be a problem with seals.

1) Does anyone here agree with my conclusions?
2) Does anyone know if there is a rebuild kit for the STANADYNE DB2 Injection Pump that can handle biofuels (alcohols)?
3) It would be very useful to my research if I could rebuild these pumps myself, so that I can see what is going wrong with them. So, does anyone know where I can purchase a repair manual and rebuild kit for this pump?
4) Is anyone here experimenting with bio-fuels on a 6.2L/6.5L diesel engine?"

Taken from here: problem with blends on a 6.2L/6.5L diesel engine - Bio Fuels Forums

" And, as for keeping the subject civil: I would say that the abuse began with other people. But, if you want to suppress dialog on mixing gasoline with vegetable oil, then the best way to do that is to demonize its advocate, which you and others here are doing. Simon Wass and Patrick Kennedy on vegoil-diesel did it; and so did the moderators of biodiesel.infopop.cc. Frybrid did not even let my first post through. You may find the links on the subject of Forum Politics and filibustering the dialog on gasoline mixes with vegetable oil interesting. They are available below.

So, can we get back to a meaningful dialog on a blend of gasoline with vegetable oil, or do I need to put a bell on my self and call out “Unclean” every time I express myself on this forum? Or, are you all going to call me abusive and ban me, like Simon Wass on vegoil-diesel and Bob (The Trouts) and Shaun at biodiesel.infopop.cc did? Whatever you do, people are going to continue to experiment with blends of gasoline and vegetable oil. So, we might as well talk about it, or more idiots are going to hurt themselves with their sparking hand drills."

From: http://www.burnveg.com/forum/about267-0-asc-45.html

Try again..................

Old 04-11-2011, 01:27 PM
Jeffrey S Brooks
New User
Originally Posted by fabmandelux
"slinging mud" is not what I'm about. TRUTH IS what I'm about.

From your info on the Bio Fuels Forum:
  • About Jeffrey S. Brooks <dl class="list_no_decoration profilefield_list"><dt class="shade">Vehicle </dt><dd>1983 Chevy Van with a 6.2L V-diesel engine </dd><dt class="shade">Location </dt><dd>Tucson, AZ, USA </dd><dt class="shade">Biography </dt><dd>I have been a technician for more than 35 years and prefer blending WVO for my fuel </dd><dt class="shade">Interests </dt><dd>bio-fuels </dd><dt class="shade">Occupation </dt><dd>archaeologist </dd></dl>
Why are you on a FORD site promoting blending, and you are doing this with a CHEVY.............
fabmandelux, the 6.2L Detroit Diesel v-8 diesel engine with a Roosamaster Stanadyne DB2 Injection Pump was built by Oliver Diesel and used in GMC and Ford 3/4 ton vehicles. So, the reason why I am on a Ford diesel forum is to research the 6.2L Detroit Diesel v-8 diesel engine with a Roosamaster Stanadyne DB2 Injection Pump used for burning biofuels. The box that carries that engine around is not relevant to me.

However, if discussions regarding blending are off-limits here, which they seem to be considering the attack upon my character that is taking place here, then I am more than happy to take my inquiry elsewhere.

Old 04-11-2011, 02:36 PM
tritonman2001
Senior User
Originally Posted by Jeffrey S Brooks
fabmandelux, the 6.2L Detroit Diesel v-8 diesel engine with a Roosamaster Stanadyne DB2 Injection Pump was built by Oliver Diesel and used in GMC and Ford 3/4 ton vehicles. So, the reason why I am on a Ford diesel forum is to research the 6.2L Detroit Diesel v-8 diesel engine with a Roosamaster Stanadyne DB2 Injection Pump used for burning biofuels. The box that carries that engine around is not relevant to me.

Could you please tell me what year ford put a 6.2 Detroit Diesel in a 3/4 to truck.

Old 04-11-2011, 03:11 PM
frdf250
Fleet Mechanic
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Don is gettin some LOL, i too would also be interestered in what year they put the 6.2 detriot in ford truck.

were not trying to bash you, just trying to prove a point, and the fact of the matter is, if you wanted to get info on what you question might be at hand, perhaps you should have gone to the OT section, Engine transplant, modified, engine swap, or whatever you think is app. on your chev forum. i guess im just having a hard time sorting out why you came here. by all means this forum is open toeveryone, but when you come here and try to prove a point or ask a question, then ask it. dont hijack a thread like this just to prove a point.

Old 04-11-2011, 05:43 PM
fabmandelux
Post Fiend
[quote However, if discussions regarding blending are off-limits here, which they seem to be considering the attack upon my character that is taking place here, then I am more than happy to take my inquiry elsewhere.[/quote]

I HAVE NOT attacked your character at all in any posts here. If you think otherwise, show me the post. You can't...........

You are more than welcome to post on blending here, just be ready to defend your position. From what I've read of your posts on other forums you should be use to criticism. In your own words:

" And, as for keeping the subject civil: I would say that the abuse began with other people. But, if you want to suppress dialog on mixing gasoline with vegetable oil, then the best way to do that is to demonize its advocate, which you and others here are doing. Simon Wass and Patrick Kennedy on vegoil-diesel did it; and so did the moderators of biodiesel.infopop.cc. Frybrid did not even let my first post through."

"are you all going to call me abusive and ban me, like Simon Wass on vegoil-diesel and Bob (The Trouts) and Shaun at biodiesel.infopop.cc did?"

You came here and posted in almost a dozen threads about how great blending is, well, you should be prepared to defend what you say.

Philip, I get no joy or LOL with this. I am very concerned that somebody will read this "blending" thing, and figure why should I invest the time and money on biodiesel or a QUALITY heated WVO system when I could just ad gas to my WVO. Then destroying an expensive diesel engine in the process. I posted links to studies that show it's a bad idea, and all he can do is post HIS OPINION on how great it is. If blending is the great cure-all, show me the studies that show that!

Quick Reply: It's not WVO, it's not B100- what the hell is it?