West Virginia Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: 5_labsownus

Time to retire the Esquirt......

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2011, 10:10 PM
KevinGnWV
The village idiot.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Time to retire the Esquirt......

I paid $600 for ol' Sally two years ago. She's been through two hard winters, lots of coal haul roads, survived my wife learning how to drive a clutch

Both front fenders are bashed in, one rear quarter bashed in, one rear strut abruptly removed the rear speaker when it punched through (hehe), exhaust spliced together with a pledge can , starts with a screwdriver, headlight held in place with a coat hanger, someone stole...took the time to steal....ripped the whole front of the dash apart for....a $50 Wal-Mart CD player. Guess what fool, it quit working within a month haha!

But, the sunroof still don't leak Registration and inspection expired this month, and so did she. Best $600 I ever spent. But, she's donating her heart so that another Esquirt can live just a little longer. Then shes gettin squashed

A moment of silence please for ol' Sally....

I know, ya'll think I'm nuts, but me and that little car have been through it all. Besides, I'm just happy I bought me a new toy
Just thought I'd share that with all my WV friends

Now I just have to get my truck fixed. Thanks for listening (reading) and have a great week!

Old 03-30-2011, 06:41 AM
msgtg
Post Fiend
Ya know I was surprised to learn how much the car is worth at the recyclers. When the daughter rolled the Taurus station wagon, I bought the salvage from the insurance company. I had just bought a Taurus 4 door that was a year older than the wagon. The 4 door got the factory cassette player swapped out to the factory cd player...plus I now have "several" spare parts. When I finally loaded the wagon up and hauled her to the recyclers...I got twice what I paid for the salvage!

Cool deal...got spare parts and still made $ off of the deal!

Joe

Old 03-30-2011, 06:48 AM
jr32560
Fleet Owner
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
here's to ol' Sally

Old 03-30-2011, 07:07 AM
KevinGnWV
The village idiot.

Originally Posted by msgtg
Ya know I was surprised to learn how much the car is worth at the recyclers. When the daughter rolled the Taurus station wagon, I bought the salvage from the insurance company. I had just bought a Taurus 4 door that was a year older than the wagon. The 4 door got the factory cassette player swapped out to the factory cd player...plus I now have "several" spare parts. When I finally loaded the wagon up and hauled her to the recyclers...I got twice what I paid for the salvage!

Cool deal...got spare parts and still made $ off of the deal!

Joe
LOL Thanks Jr

Yep! I'm getting $200 for the engine/trans/axles. $50 for the GT wheels and tires and I think cars are selling for $10/100lbs right now, but it varies daily like the stock market. Even losing the heavy engine up front, and I have about 700 lbs of scrap to stuff in her when she goes so I'm low balling a $250 payout at the yard. So I'm getting $500 back on a $600 investment and got two years of service with only oil changes, one set of wires/plugs and one tie-rod end. Not too shabby

Old 03-30-2011, 07:13 AM
jr32560
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by KevinGnWV
LOL Thanks Jr

Yep! I'm getting $200 for the engine/trans/axles. $50 for the GT wheels and tires and I think cars are selling for $10/100lbs right now, but it varies daily like the stock market. Even losing the heavy engine up front, and I have about 700 lbs of scrap to stuff in her when she goes so I'm low balling a $250 payout at the yard. So I'm getting $500 back on a $600 investment and got two years of service with only oil changes, one set of wires/plugs and one tie-rod end. Not too shabby
couldn't have rented a car that cheap

Old 03-30-2011, 10:05 AM
KevinGnWV
The village idiot.

Here's my new toy I know, it's not a Ford but...I really was considering an Escape but they are car based SUVs and not practical for my purposes. And, Explorers are just a bit bigger than I wanted (my wife is 5'3) and for the same year, options and mileage, they were about 4 large more than the Liberty was.

It took me an extra day to get it because I convinced them to swap the wheels off of this one with another they had. Mine came with chrome wheels and it looked ok, but they look better on the other colored Libertys, and I really liked the ones I have now. Plus, they put 4 brand new tires on it as well

It's a little dirty today because, well it's black, its raining, and I live on a very long gravel road.

Go ahead, call me a traitor lol but as you can see I still have my truck, and will for a long long time!

Old 03-30-2011, 06:41 PM
whack&stack
Elder User
i want to see pics of the esquirt

Old 03-30-2011, 07:07 PM
KevinGnWV
The village idiot.

Originally Posted by whack&stack
I'll do that! I'll get some tomorrow. I meant to take some anyway, and even more when the claw picks it up

Old 03-31-2011, 12:07 PM
6CylBill
Post Fiend
When you said Jeep.. I didn't think you meant.. THAT Jeep!

She looks good though man. I dig the black. I was hoping you were buying a Wrangler! And then giving it to me! hehehe!

Old 03-31-2011, 03:27 PM
KevinGnWV
The village idiot.

Originally Posted by 6CylBill
When you said Jeep.. I didn't think you meant.. THAT Jeep!

She looks good though man. I dig the black. I was hoping you were buying a Wrangler! And then giving it to me! hehehe!
I could tell you thought Wrangler or CJ. But, I had to keep in mind have my own kid, and usually a few of her friends. I had to stay practical. I used to have a CJ-7 though. My next project, after getting my work truck running that is, I think I'm going to find a 78-79 to build. Maybe even a Bronco. But that will be next spring for sure.

Old 04-01-2011, 01:15 AM
KevinGnWV
The village idiot.

Originally Posted by whack&stack
Here we go whack!

The front is obvious here. The back you can still see it a little but I popped most of it out. Look at the rear bumper cover though...

Here is why it looks funny...Tried to pull it out of a ditch. Back of the car got pulled out, rest of it stayed There's a small hook under the bumper I hooked it to, and you can see the inside damage where it ripped it out. Good swift kick with size 13s got everything back in order though.

Here's the top of the strut..

And here, you can see how it has been beating against the trim. It hit the glass one day, I don't know how it didn't shatter. Glass=built Ford tough

Coat hanger headlight and instead of replacing the amber turn signal lens I just replaced the clear bulb with an amber one.

Here's my dash after I put the heater controls and the trim back on with Gorilla Glue. The inner plastic tabs were broke off. The second picture is the new ignition switch. The key hole was bashed in when the person who stole the stereo attempted to steal the car. He would have got it but when they busted the steering column and pried out the plastic switch it fell apart. The new one was almost $50! They took my battery too.

Ignition...

I couldn't get under the car far enough to get a pic of the pledge can exhaust. Oh, forgot to mention that the shifter support had rotted and broken so you have to pull the shifter up through the hole to put it in gear. Once in gear it will stay put until you hit a big bump. Sometimes it would knock it out of gear lol.

Old 04-01-2011, 06:20 AM
jr32560
Fleet Owner
looks like we got a few redneck repairs going on
looks like my vehicles
some call it a shoe string repair budget-
I call it everyday repairs -if it works it works~~~~~

Old 04-01-2011, 08:09 AM
6CylBill
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by KevinGnWV
I could tell you thought Wrangler or CJ. But, I had to keep in mind have my own kid, and usually a few of her friends. I had to stay practical. I used to have a CJ-7 though. My next project, after getting my work truck running that is, I think I'm going to find a 78-79 to build. Maybe even a Bronco. But that will be next spring for sure.
Hey man I'm not cutting on it, it's a beautiful Jeep. I just don't know why Jeep has it. They already have two other Jeep 4-door platforms. I can understand that the Cherokee is now a "luxery" Jeep and the Wrangler still apeals to the guys like me who want something closer to the what the Military used to use - but what slot does that Jeep Liberty fill?? I know women love'em. My girl thinks they're cute.

Old 04-01-2011, 10:38 AM
KevinGnWV
The village idiot.

Originally Posted by jr32560
looks like we got a few redneck repairs going on
looks like my vehicles
some call it a shoe string repair budget-
I call it everyday repairs -if it works it works~~~~~
When I bought it, the car wasn't "that" bad lol, but it was never made for the abuse it got both winters. I'm surprised it still runs. However, my truck is different. If I can't fix it right, I'll wait until I can.

Originally Posted by 6CylBill
Hey man I'm not cutting on it, it's a beautiful Jeep. I just don't know why Jeep has it. They already have two other Jeep 4-door platforms. I can understand that the Cherokee is now a "luxery" Jeep and the Wrangler still apeals to the guys like me who want something closer to the what the Military used to use - but what slot does that Jeep Liberty fill?? I know women love'em. My girl thinks they're cute.
In 02, the regular Cherokee was dropped, and became the liberty as you already know. The Grand Cherokee is bigger, and more upscale. I think it had a place at that time, but now you have the Wrangler, 4 dr Wrangler, Compass (car based on the Caliber), Liberty, Liberty Renegade, Commander, and Grand Cherokee. You could compare the line-up to Ford's though through the mid 2000's. Escape, Explorer,Sport Trac, Expedition, and Exscursion. Eventually some models were dropped. I think Chrysler was trying to make sure they had Jeep/Dodge twins for some reason.

Old 04-01-2011, 06:03 PM
whack&stack
Elder User
kevin thanks for the pics. its a classic. my buddy had one like that and it had a big dent in the quarter among a long list of other things. and he slapped a gallon of bondo on it and then we painted it with spray cans under a car port while it rained and rain kept blowing in. it turned out fantastic lol

Quick Reply: Time to retire the Esquirt......