Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spare tire question....

Old 07-18-2014, 09:08 AM
Romanova
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Spare tire question....

Preparing the Excursion for a cross country road trip and making good progress going down my list. I've got new Michelins all the way around with the Discount Tire warranty if something comes up. I was checking my spare tire and it looks to be an unused Pirelli. I'm not sure if it is the original OEM spare or if it has been replaced.

I'm curious if I should chance it or get the piece of mind of getting a new spare. Cheapest tire Discount has in OEM size is $115 out the door. I would hate to get a flat, then put the spare on and have more problems.

Opinions?

edit... looked up how to find the date code and the tire is from 2007. That's still 7 years of being inside in the sweltering heat of Texas...

Old 07-18-2014, 07:52 PM
DSN46
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First of all, good choice on the Michelins.
Secondly, I had this exact dilemma about 4 months ago. My spare was the original factory tire (manufactured in late 2004). It looked perfect upon inspection, but my gut was telling me to replace it because of age. I'm not one to roll the dice with my whole family on the side of a highway at night... If I lost one of my tires, I wanted something to get me moving that I KNEW I wouldn't have a problem with further down the road.

My advice is to replace it now and be done with it and have peace of mind.

Also, my spare was not Pirelli..... so not sure if yours was original or not.

James

Old 07-18-2014, 09:17 PM
Romanova
Senior User
Ended up replacing it. The guy at Discount Tire said it was actually dated 2003 so who knows what the story with it is.
$116 for a new tire, mounted and balanced. Cheap insurance.

Old 07-18-2014, 11:30 PM
EXv10
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Romanova
Preparing the Excursion for a cross country road trip and making good progress going down my list. I've got new Michelins all the way around with the Discount Tire warranty if something comes up. I was checking my spare tire and it looks to be an unused Pirelli. I'm not sure if it is the original OEM spare or if it has been replaced.

I'm curious if I should chance it or get the piece of mind of getting a new spare. Cheapest tire Discount has in OEM size is $115 out the door. I would hate to get a flat, then put the spare on and have more problems.

Opinions?

edit... looked up how to find the date code and the tire is from 2007. That's still 7 years of being inside in the sweltering heat of Texas...
I think you are over-thinking it. You might as well get another plastic tub and fill it full of spare parts. That spare will be fine, mine is 14 years old but I invested in a little plugging kit, 2 cans of suv size fix-a-flat, and a little cig lighter air compressor. I also carry a few tools and an extra fan belt.

Oops I just saw your last post but I wouldn't have changed it.

Old 07-18-2014, 11:39 PM
USCG_PA
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by EXv10
I think you are over-thinking it. You might as well get another plastic tub and fill it full of spare parts. That spare will be fine, mine is 14 years old but I invested in a little plugging kit, 2 cans of suv size fix-a-flat, and a little cig lighter air compressor. I also carry a few tools and an extra fan belt.

Oops I just saw your last post but I wouldn't have changed it.
He might be overthinking it, but there is something to be said about peace of mind!

I can't argue with him wanting to ensure that all is right and will work if needed. Props to him on ensuring that he is ready. As for me, maybe it's time to check that old spare, even though using it on my Ex would be like using a doughnut tire on a small sedan.

Old 07-19-2014, 11:49 AM
jspence105
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by Romanova
Ended up replacing it. The guy at Discount Tire said it was actually dated 2003 so who knows what the story with it is.
$116 for a new tire, mounted and balanced. Cheap insurance.

That was the right move I just had 5 Michelin MS2's installed. My spare was from 2005 it looked perfect but once you load it up it could go at any time. Michelin puts the life expectancy at 6 years so I guess they would probably be good for 8-10 but I would use when you would be replacing the tires again.

Old 07-23-2014, 11:43 PM
PoPs 03DEX
Junior User
There is an app called 'Tire Facts' Android & I-phone, it is one place where they say after 6 years tires expire and should be changed. That includes the spare. check out the app and be safe!

Old 07-24-2014, 12:33 AM
EXv10
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by jspence105
That was the right move I just had 5 Michelin MS2's installed. My spare was from 2005 it looked perfect but once you load it up it could go at any time. Michelin puts the life expectancy at 6 years so I guess they would probably be good for 8-10 but I would use when you would be replacing the tires again.
I bet they would go for 20 but they are not all treated the same; direct sun, under-inflation etc. Nowadays they won't even touch them after 6 years at the tire shops.

Old 07-24-2014, 06:04 AM
1 Excursion camper
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I still have my original Pirelli. and have no worries about keeping it. think about it, it is inside a compartment, covered out of the sun and has no load on it. now if it was under the truck in the open then I would think about replacing it!

Old 07-24-2014, 07:01 AM
dihedralboy
Junior User
something to remind yourself on journeys, that I have to remind myself. If you forget something, or something happens it's modern day and most places can help you. Very few towns don't have a mechanic or in this case a tire shop. If I blew tire I'd be happy "limping" it to a shop on my 10 year old spare to get my other tire fixed or replaced. The spare can be an old tire, your not doing the journey to south america or such.

UV light and wear age tires, sitting covered in the truck it would last a long time for the purpose of getting you to a shop and out of danger on the side of a road. It's more important to insure it has air in it.

You might not be able to loosen the lug nuts on your own too, remember that. I always travel with AAA. But in the times you might be away from cell coverage you do need to know how to change a tire. Practice in your driveway if you have never done it.

Old 07-24-2014, 10:19 AM
EXv10
Post Fiend
I agree ^^ and I think that guy that replaced his spare was too careful and wasted some money. As for the nuts being too hard to get off; I change my wheels every winter and put grease on the studs and tighten them with my electric impact, and no nay-sayers because I have been doing it for 50 years. I have never had to use a spare and that guy might as well have towed a little trailer full of tools and parts.

Old 07-24-2014, 11:19 AM
Apocalypse
Lead Driver
Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
I think that guy that replaced his spare was too careful and wasted some money... and that guy might as well have towed a little trailer full of tools and parts.
Totally agree... what do you think they did with that tire you gave them Perfectly good tire, no flat spots, no wear... I would have sold it to a friend or kept it for myself!

Old 07-24-2014, 11:21 AM
Apocalypse
Lead Driver
Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by PoPs 03DEX
There is an app called 'Tire Facts' Android & I-phone, it is one place where they say after 6 years tires expire and should be changed. That includes the spare. check out the app and be safe!
Gee, I wonder who made that app? Could it be the tire companies? Mobil should put out a change your oil every 10 minutes app, there's a sucker born every minute

Old 07-24-2014, 09:02 PM
dihedralboy
Junior User
I agree ^^ and I think that guy that replaced his spare was too careful and wasted some money. As for the nuts being too hard to get off; I change my wheels every winter and put grease on the studs and tighten them with my electric impact, and no nay-sayers because I have been doing it for 50 years. I have never had to use a spare and that guy might as well have towed a little trailer full of tools and parts.
I too run winter tires and summer tires, so they are off a lot. I want them torqued when I drop it off.

I always remember my shop teacher saying put a bit grease on the threads, but never on the cone part of the lug nut. It hydro locks and over time the grease may dissipate, lowering the torque or having the nuts come loose. Just something in case it is read by others to put grease all over it or such.. They should be dry in the cone part only.

Old 07-24-2014, 09:43 PM
EXv10
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by dihedralboy
I too run winter tires and summer tires, so they are off a lot. I want them torqued when I drop it off.

I always remember my shop teacher saying put a bit grease on the threads, but never on the cone part of the lug nut. It hydro locks and over time the grease may dissipate, lowering the torque or having the nuts come loose. Just something in case it is read by others to put grease all over it or such.. They should be dry in the cone part only.
Just another myth, add it to the thousands. Actually putting grease on the threads will change the torque rating also but none of it bothers me because I don't torque them. The thing about hydro-lock; that would never happen due to the terrific force pushing the air out and grease might slightly dissipate in 10 years but that would only make it stiffer.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Spare tire question....