Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AOD shifting when stopped and other issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2011, 02:55 PM
GBuckert
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AOD shifting when stopped and other issues

Still having issues with my AOD transmission, it is a rebuilt transmission that had less than a year of use before the pickup was parked back in '06.

Anyway, issues with staying in OD. Pickup either doesn't have the power to stay at 55+ in OD or something is up with the transmission. I'm leaning towards the transmission now because it also requires me to floor the accelerator to downshift at all in any speed.
Maybe that's how it's supposed to be? All automatics that I've driven (GM) shift down once at 1/2 throttle and shift down twice at full.

Second problem, pickup has a high idle that I still haven't figured out (2000 for awhile then drops to 1200-1500) for a few minutes until I drive for a few miles. During the high idle the transmission does all sorts of weird (to me) stuff. Normally it'll run itself right up into second without me even touching the gas. Today I was sitting at a light for about 10 seconds and then it felt like the transmission shifted in/out of gear. Fully stopped and all. Pickup lurched forward a few inches and then RPMs dropped back down to a normal idle ~1000.

Any ideas? I checked the TV cable at the throttle body and thought I reset it to no effect.

Old 03-27-2011, 10:46 PM
timbersteel
Logistics Pro
Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts
Just a question..

Have you checked the TPS? This sensor can have a dramatic affect on the AOD tranny. If you have performed the AOD adjustment, I think you may want to check the TPS and IAC. Your idle is way to far out. You should be in the 650-775 range.

If you haven't pulled codes, try that. If you have, could you reply with them, or any repairs other than the rebuilt AOD you have.

I have the White paper for setting the Idle and it could benefit you, if you haven't already tried it. I'm also walking blindly as I don't know the past with the truck.

Old 03-28-2011, 09:58 AM
Conanski
FTE Legend
Received 951 Likes on 755 Posts
Yes check codes and verify that you have the TV cable set correctly, there is a nice U-tube video there describing it in detail. YouTube - Ford AOD TV cable adjustment
What gears are in this truck? Look at the axle code on the drivers door pillar. If it has anything less than 4.10(code 25 or H5) it will struggle to maintain highway speed in OD on anything but flat surfaces.. and yes that is normal for this vintage truck. If the truck has 3.08 gears(18 or H8) you can forget that there is OD completely.. you'll never be able to use it. If the truck has 3.55 gears(19 of H9) then there is hope that OD may be usefull but you'll have to uncork the engine first(full exhaust system and a cam upgrade).

Old 03-28-2011, 10:19 AM
GBuckert
Senior User
Originally Posted by Conanski
What gears are in this truck?
3.55 open and the exhaust manifold is cracked all the way through so that may have effected the power enough for the OD issue.

Originally Posted by timbersteel
Have you checked the TPS?
If you haven't pulled codes, try that. If you have, could you reply with them, or any repairs other than the rebuilt AOD you have.

I have the White paper for setting the Idle and it could benefit you, if you haven't already tried it. I'm also walking blindly as I don't know the past with the truck.
I haven't checked the TPS, never saw it mentioned in any of the threads I had looked through. That'll be one of the next steps. I tried pulling the codes - nothing so either my check engine light it out or my jumper didn't work.

Edit: Went to O'Reily's and used a scanner, I got 21 - cooling and ETC out of range (explains the gauge reading low/maybe missing t-stat) 13 - idle out of range/low (idle was high I thought, from 1000-2000) 77 - this one gave me an operator error/full throttle not sensed but the scanner only ever said turn the wheel 1/2 to the right never anything about stepping on the gas.

I've never tried setting the idle so I have no clue if it would help or not. I also do not know much of the past other than the guy I bought it from was not the original owner but had used it on his ranch for awhile and did pull a flatbed with snowmobiles on it several times.

Old 03-28-2011, 01:12 PM
Conanski
FTE Legend
Received 951 Likes on 755 Posts
Originally Posted by GBuckert
3.55 open and the exhaust manifold is cracked all the way through so that may have effected the power enough for the OD issue..
Yes that certainly won't help.

I got 21 - cooling and ETC out of range (explains the gauge reading low/maybe missing t-stat)
This code is set if the engine was not at operating temp. if it was then the ECT is dead or you have a wiring problem. The dash gauge uses a seperate sensor so this has no effect on it.

13 - idle out of range/low (idle was high I thought, from 1000-2000)
You have a bad TPS sensor.

77 - this one gave me an operator error/full throttle not sensed but the scanner only ever said turn the wheel 1/2 to the right never anything about stepping on the gas.
Ignore this code.

Old 03-28-2011, 01:35 PM
GBuckert
Senior User
Well I have no idea if it was at operating temp or not, the gauge barely ever gets above C. The only time it's ever been in the range between the marks was the other day when I drove up a mountain at ~3000 for a mile or so and it quickly dropped back below the normal range when it leveled out.

I'll not worry about the 21 then and educate myself on getting a new TPS sensor.

Thanks!

Old 03-28-2011, 02:13 PM
timbersteel
Logistics Pro
Yes, the TPS can have a DEAD spot. If it does, it will cause a whole range of shift and idle problems. When you disassemble the Throttle body to gain access to it, it will be a good idea to get a new TB gasket while you are @ it. Be sure to scribe a mark as to the location of the old TPS.

Let us know what you find!

Old 03-28-2011, 03:31 PM
Eddiec1564
Cargo Master
Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts
I though the AOD was non electronic? Only the throttle cable tells the tranny when to shift depending on road speed and throttle. I can't see how the TPS will affect it. Unless the throttle is not fully closing from the TPS not letting it return(had some num-nut put the TPS in wrong) and cause problems like yours.

My 89 F250 has the 302/AOD with 3.55 gears and even in flat land of Florida it does not like OD with a head wind!

Old 03-28-2011, 04:57 PM
timbersteel
Logistics Pro
Good point regarding the TPS Eddie.

How I understood it is, if the TPS is malfunctioning, then it's not sending the correct info to the PCM. The AOD is controled via the TV cable, yet if it or the TPS is set incorrectly(sending info for WOT @ idle) and it causes a consiently high RPM, then the TV cable(if set correctly) will try to shift for the corresponding RPM.

If my understanding of the TPS / AOD TV cable is incorrect, I would like to be corrected. I just went thru a lot of understanding with mine, concerning setting the TV cable and the TPS since my throttle body was shot. I installed a BBK 56mm TB and all has been well since.

If he does get it corrected, and the shifting problem continues, then yes, there could be other issues concerning the rebuilt AOD.

And yes, my 302 has the same gearing as your's, and even flat land with a head wind is a challenge. I pretty much gave up in OD unless it's a calm day and just stick with either DRIVE for anything 60mph+ or just set the cruise @ 55 and watch the speed demons pass me by..

Old 03-30-2011, 09:23 AM
GBuckert
Senior User
Well I replaced the TPS yesterday. Was only able to drive it around the block before I had to go to my late class. So far the idle seems to have dropped down around ~900 rpm after a few seconds and throttle response was much better. I'll do some more driving with it later today to see if the shift issue has changed at all.

Thanks for the help guys.

Old 03-30-2011, 09:37 AM
timbersteel
Logistics Pro
Glad to hear of the good news! Also, did you disconnect the battery cable for more than 5 minutes and then reconnect it either before or after you reapaired. If so this would allow for new parameters for the PCM to learn and will also help out if it was using old problematic driving habits.

I think we forgot to mention that in our our earlier responses.

Old 03-30-2011, 10:33 AM
GBuckert
Senior User
Nope, but I will when I get home. I didn't even think about it.