Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser

Dolphin Billet Dash Panel and Gauges

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2011, 09:17 PM
CalebJns
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That is great information...Just what I needed to know...thanks again! Looking forward to seeing some pics of it in the dark...

Old 04-13-2011, 08:34 PM
Poison Oil Racing
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
what are you using for a speedometer cable?
I just bought an Auto Meter speedo and the connector on the back is a screw-on whereas the one in my truck is a push-on.

Old 04-13-2011, 08:40 PM
CalebJns
Posting Guru
Not picked any up yet, but when I do I would pick up whatever was required for the brand gauges I purchase.

Old 04-13-2011, 08:50 PM
bucks77ford
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Poison Oil Racing
I just bought an Auto Meter speedo and the connector on the back is a screw-on whereas the one in my truck is a push-on.
You'll have to get an aftermarket one that will work. They aren't too expensive unless you need a really long one like I did (highboys) than you'll need a custom made one. I ended up going with a electric speedometer and eliminated the cable. But they are much more expensive than mechanical.

Those panel inserts are made to mount in the front like the pic and the two center bars cut out. I didn't think I'd like the viewing angle so I just made my own from a stock cluster so I could keep the stock idea. Downfall is that I couldn't mount a tach because I didn't want to cut the center bars out of my bezel.

Old 04-13-2011, 09:22 PM
CalebJns
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by bucks77ford
Those panel inserts are made to mount in the front like the pic and the two center bars cut out. I didn't think I'd like the viewing angle so I just made my own from a stock cluster so I could keep the stock idea. Downfall is that I couldn't mount a tach because I didn't want to cut the center bars out of my bezel.
This is what I was considering as well...I'm not too concerned with the tach, wouldn't be a bad addition, but not a requirement...Bucks, would it be possible to get a pic of what yours turned out like? Also, what gauges did you use, size, what all did you go with? Oil Pressure, Fuel, Water Temp, Volt Meter, Fuel Pressure, or ???? Just wanting to get some ideas...Thanks

Old 04-13-2011, 09:35 PM
bucks77ford
Post Fiend
Here is how mine turned out. I used 2 1/16" gauges for oil pressure, volt meter, fuel and water temp and the speedometer was 3 3/8". In the pic you'll see the mechanical speedo, but I had swapped that out for an electric. I just don't have an updated pic. All gauges were autometer. It's not a cheap way to go, but I figured that I wanted really good gauges so worth the money. The mechanical speedometer and oil pressure are cheaper. I just couldn't get a speedometer cable to work well with my application. The cable itself needed to be over 100" long because it mounted back to my T-case and I so I bought one that was custom made, I just had to cut to fit and make the inner cable. I could never get the inner cable exact. Because of the length I think, the inner cable would spin out just enough to let loose and not grab the speedo gear and the speedometer wouldn't turn. I may just have been doing something wrong, but I was getting tired of trying, so I just went electric on the speedometer. But, the Highboy trucks like mine only have the really long speedo cable. Others are shorter and should work much better. Sorry for getting long, but here is the pic.

Old 04-13-2011, 09:40 PM
bucks77ford
Post Fiend
Just thought I'd post this link for anyone who may be interested.

Classic Dash :: Ford :: Ford Truck :: 1973-1979 :: Drilled Panels

Old 04-13-2011, 09:46 PM
CalebJns
Posting Guru
Me LIKE, Me LIKE!!!!

Old 04-13-2011, 10:49 PM
Tgure
Freshman User
Originally Posted by CalebJns
That is great information...Just what I needed to know...thanks again! Looking forward to seeing some pics of it in the dark...
Here is a shot in the dark.

Old 04-13-2011, 10:51 PM
Tgure
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Poison Oil Racing
I bought the electronic speedo and used the ford pulse generator so no speedo cable needed, also easy calibration for larger tires etc.

Old 04-23-2012, 06:42 PM
SC'79
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just dug this up-

I have dolphin gauges in my 79 f150 and the gas gauge is only operating between 1/2 and 3/4 of a tank. Talked with mechanic buddy today and he said the gauge and sending unit might be working on different volts and I would probably need to pick up a sending unit that is calibrated to the gauge? Is this why you didnt use the Dolphin gas gauge?

Old 04-23-2012, 06:51 PM
Tgure
Freshman User
Originally Posted by SC'79
Just dug this up-

I have dolphin gauges in my 79 f150 and the gas gauge is only operating between 1/2 and 3/4 of a tank. Talked with mechanic buddy today and he said the gauge and sending unit might be working on different volts and I would probably need to pick up a sending unit that is calibrated to the gauge? Is this why you didnt use the Dolphin gas gauge?
The dolphin fuel gauge uses different ohms than our truck so that is why it is reading funny. I am now running the dolphin gauge as I fabricated a sending unit to work with that gauge when I put in a 38 gallon tank.

I just put up the Ford gauge on eBay that I used starting at a penny if you didn't want to switch sending units.

Old 04-23-2012, 07:00 PM
SC'79
Senior User
Thanks for the quick response. Do you know what ohms the dolphin gauge works at? If i can find a sending unit that will run on the same ohms i'd rather use all the same gauges

Old 04-23-2012, 07:05 PM
Tgure
Freshman User
Originally Posted by SC'79
Thanks for the quick response. Do you know what ohms the dolphin gauge works at? If i can find a sending unit that will run on the same ohms i'd rather use all the same gauges
It uses GM's ohm range. You will have to custom make a sending unit by combining yours with one out of a GM vehicle.

Old 04-23-2012, 07:10 PM
SC'79
Senior User
Thanks again. Do you have any tips/specs on what year sending unit to use and is it a pretty simple task or involved? Have access to mechanic's tools and a car lift so I can drop the tank pretty easily. Any advice would be appreciated.

Quick Reply: Dolphin Billet Dash Panel and Gauges