2007 - 2014 Expedition & Navigator 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator

2010 expy tire issue gone -transmission continues

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2011, 12:59 PM
backdr10
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 expy tire issue gone -transmission continues

I know that many of you have read my posts about the 2010 expy tire issues. After consulting with a lawyer about my problems with this truck, I ended up replacing the tires. However, the problem continued. It was not until the fourth dealer rebalanced the new tires for a second time and aligned the front and rear end as well as the steering wheel did the vibration issue go away. I am now posting out of pure desperation. After 4 more visits to the dealer I am still dealing with a transmission that slips / jerks into gear as I am rolling to a stop between 10-15mph. Initially when the truck went in for the vibration issues I told the tech that there was vibration felt through the gas pedal upon hard acceleration as well as through the tires ( the tires were defective by the way) so the dealer did the transmission reflash and that is when the problems really started. I am getting a clunk in the trans intermittently as the truck rolls to a stop. Ford corporate customer service told me to go back to the dealer (10th time in 6 months) and an engineer would look at the truck. I made arrangements and went to the dealer and the service manager said there will not be an engineer coming -we do not care what you were told. I wanted to strangle someone. Every time I go to the dealer I am told the problem has to be verified- what the hell have they been doing for the last 6 months. The bad part is that I have spoken to a lawyer who says that in Illinois, the Lemon law is hard to win and he wants me to pay a certified mechanic to verify the problem which is difficult to do unless the mechanic can ride along with me for about an 1/2 hour or so until the truck starts acting up. So my question to everyone is this? Is this slipping causing damage to the transmission . I am ready to just throw in the towel or go nuts and drive the truck right into the front or the dealership. I am between a rock and a hardplace and do not know what to do next. To make matters worse the last dealer would not provide the proper paperwork on the repairs-stating that the reflash was normal and it was not written up as a repair. This has to be a joke. Now I am fighting with Corporate Ford for the paperwork. Sorry about the long read

Old 03-29-2011, 03:41 PM
MCDavis
Hotshot
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Glad to hear that the tire problem has gone away.

Onto the trans. Slipping of any sort creates heat...and heat is not a good thing. Prolonged slip will cause premature wear and damage.
Might you consider a programmer/hand held tuner? A custom tune with new shift parameters might fix the problem. Sure it could be an internal trans problem, but if that's the case then the new custom tune will reveal that also as the symptoms should continue as they are now.

So think about it. $400 for a tuner (I would recommend & suggest that you give Mike Butler at 5-Star Tuning a phone call, he's a sponsor here). It might, I repeat might, work.
Just my $.02

Old 03-29-2011, 04:39 PM
2010 expedition
New User
tires/trans

sell or trde the truck. It is not worth the agrivation. I had electrical issues with my GM and traded it on a Ford. Took a bit of a "hit" but got rid of the agrivation. I was at the dealer ever 3 weeks with multiple codes going. After the last "fix" it was GONE

Old 03-29-2011, 04:59 PM
backdr10
Freshman User
thank you for your replies.

Old 03-30-2011, 11:29 AM
berry1234
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Search this forum for my thread on banging while coming to a stop. I reflash will cure this. I had this for about 3 weeks. it was loud, like a sledgehammer hitting the engine. There is a TSB specifically addressing this. I am not sure why they won't help you. Again, try a different dealer. Take the service tech on a test drive, demand this. Refer him to the TSB. Again, search here, the number is in my thread.

Old 03-30-2011, 11:31 AM
berry1234
Postmaster
TSB 08-22-7

11/10/08

DRIVELINE BUMP WHILE BRAKING - BELOW 10 MPH (16 KM/H)
FORD:
2007-2008 Expedition

This article supersedes TSB 08-4-13 to update the Issue, Service Procedure and remove the production fix date.
ISSUE
Some 2007-2008 Expedition vehicles may exhibit a bump feeling while braking to a stop below 10 MPH (16 Km/h). This procedure will improve the bump felt while braking to a stop.

ACTION
Follow the Service Procedure steps to correct the condition.

SERVICE PROCEDURE
CAUTION APPLYING THIS PROCEDURE TO UNITS THAT DO NOT EXHIBIT THE COASTDOWN BUMP MAY RESULT IN WORSE SHIFT QUALITY.

NOTE DO NOT ATTEMPT TO REPLACE THE MECHATRONIC UNIT. MECHATRONIC REPAIR/REPLACEMENT IS NOT AUTHORIZED FOR THIS ISSUE.

1. Install Integrated Diagnostic System/Portable Diagnostic Software (IDS/PDS) or equivalent and ID the vehicle.

2. Update the Power Control Module/Transmission Control Module (PCM/TCM) calibration using IDS release 57.8 and higher or 58.1 and higher. This new calibration is not included in the VCM 2008.9 DVD. Calibration files may also be obtained at the website. Since the TCM cannot be independently reprogrammed, reprogram the PCM to ensure that engine and transmission calibrations are updated to the latest level simultaneously.

a. Verify that the TCM shows 8L1P-7J104-AC (8L1P-7J104-BC for 2008 vehicles built after 12/3/2007) part number after reprogramming is complete.

b. Select the following from IDS, Tool Box, Powertrain, OBD Test Modes, Mode Level 9 Vehicle info, TCM Cal Part Number.

3. Clear TCM keep alive memory (KAM) and adaptive tables.

a. Using IDS:

(1) Open Toolbox.

(2) Choose Powertrain.

(3) Choose Reset KAM.

(4) Then Choose TCM.

b. Using PDS:

(1) Choose all Tests and Calibrations.

(2) Scroll down the menu and choose reset TCM KAM.

NOTE FOR PDS, RESET TCM KAM IS NOT THE SAME AS CLEAR TRANSMISSION ADAPTIVE TABLES, WHICH IS UNDER THE POWERTRAIN - TRANSMISSION MENU TREE.

NOTE UNHOOKING THE BATTERY WILL NOT CLEAR THE TCM KAM.

NOTE DO NOT CLEAR THE PCM KAM.

4. Verify that the transmission fluid temperature (TFT) PID is above 175 °F (80 °C). If it is not at 175 °F (80 °C), drive unit approximately 3 miles (5 Km) to reach temperature.

NOTE TFT MUST BE AT 175 °F (80 °C) OR ABOVE BEFORE PROCEEDING TO STEP 5.

5. Drive unit to perform adaptive shift strategy learn:

a. Accelerate from rest with light throttle to 15 MPH (24 Km/h), remove foot from accelerator pedal.

b. Brake very gently to a complete stop (allow at least six (6) seconds).

c. Repeat Steps (a-b) a total of five (5) times in the dealership parking lot or similar setting.

d. Accelerate from rest with light throttle ensuring that the 1-2, 2-3 and 3-4 shifts occur at engine speeds between 1300-1800 RPM.

e. Continue to accelerate until you achieve 50 MPH (80 Km/h) or the 5-6 upshift.

f. Brake gently to a complete stop and hold foot on brake for at least 10 seconds.

g. Repeat steps (e-f) three (3) times.

NOTE THE HARSH BUMP FELT WHILE BRAKING TO A STOP WILL BE IMPROVED. HOWEVER, SEVERAL DAYS OF DRIVING ARE REQUIRED FOR THE TRANSMISSION TO FULLY ADAPT.

WARRANTY STATUS: Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage IMPORTANT: Warranty coverage limits/policies are not altered by a TSB. Warranty coverage limits are determined by the identified causal part.

OPERATION DESCRIPTION TIME

082207A 2007-2008 Expedition: 1.0 Hr.
Check DTCs, Reprogram
The PCM And TCM,
Includes Time To Clear
KAM And Perform Road
Test. Authorization Decal
Not Required (Do Not Use
With 12650D)

DEALER CODING

CONDITION
BASIC PART NO. CODE
RECAL 04

Old 03-30-2011, 05:12 PM
backdr10
Freshman User
Hey guys thanks for your replies. I did take the tsb to the dealer today and they did another reflash, but the tech did not drive it afterwards , the way the tsb states. They told me to drive it for a couple thousand miles so that it can relearn my driving habits. So I got into the vehicle drove it off of the lot and heard a loud thud as the trans downshifted from 2-3 and 1-2. The service manager and trans tech both got into the truck so as to verify the sound and explained to me how its normal until I hit the brakes slowly and the jerking truck threw them. The truck is now sitting at the dealer. F'in Ford customer service will not allow a loaner so I am stuck at my office with no way home and my $ 53,000 truck is sitting at the dealer. Just gets better and better. Am I the only fool who has been through this with Ford. I just received a call from Ford stating that they spoke with ford engineer and were told to replace the mechatronic unit on the truck.

Old 03-30-2011, 05:34 PM
berry1234
Postmaster
Originally Posted by backdr10
Hey guys thanks for your replies. I did take the tsb to the dealer today and they did another reflash, but the tech did not drive it afterwards , the way the tsb states. They told me to drive it for a couple thousand miles so that it can relearn my driving habits. So I got into the vehicle drove it off of the lot and heard a loud thud as the trans downshifted from 2-3 and 1-2. The service manager and trans tech both got into the truck so as to verify the sound and explained to me how its normal until I hit the brakes slowly and the jerking truck threw them. The truck is now sitting at the dealer. F'in Ford customer service will not allow a loaner so I am stuck at my office with no way home and my $ 53,000 truck is sitting at the dealer. Just gets better and better. Am I the only fool who has been through this with Ford. I just received a call from Ford stating that they spoke with ford engineer and were told to replace the mechatronic unit on the truck.

Doesn't the TSB Clearly state "DO NOT REPLACE THE MECHATRONIC UNIT" ??

Old 03-30-2011, 08:07 PM
backdr10
Freshman User
That it does!! And it also states to drive the vehicle after programming it even if it is in the parking lot, but I guess these idiot techs do as they please. Communication within Ford is a nightmare as is getting any repairs done. I am a physician. and if I performed my job the way these people at Ford do I would be out of business at best. I have never seen anything like this. They force you to get a lawyer and sue them. All I wanted was for the truck to be fixed correctly the first time. Trust me, I have no time for the problems or tolerance for their bull**** and ridiculous treatment. So they order the mechatronic unit even though the tsb says not to and I am supposed to hope they know what they are doing. No matter what the car payment has to made . But there is no way that after spending $53k on a new truck that I am going to go rent a car for a week while the truck is being worked on. Lemon Law will need to be filed now

Old 03-30-2011, 08:42 PM
n2umr
Senior User
Save yourself the time and money and do yourself and Ford a favor and just get rid of the damn vehicle. I've heard of people having trouble with dealers but man, come on. They must have your picture on the wall and cringe every time you come in.

I think you need to just get rid of the vehicle and buy anything else but a Ford again. That's hard for me to say since I have had fords for the last 15 years with absolutely no issues but you are just to angry to ever own one again because every little thing will drive you to the dealer and the process will start over again.

One thing I find odd is that you said you had a vibration in the gas pedal. Since there is no physical connection to the engine (it's drive by wire if you didn't know) you should have felt that vibration in the floor and the brake pedal because they are mounted on the same part of the firewall.

After listening to all of your complaints over the past few months, I can see where a dealer would get sick of dealing with your problems, if indeed they are real problems. As an engineer I get similar complaints from individuals about equipment I design and support and 90% of the time they say something is wrong but I never find anything wrong with the equipment.

I doubt Ford service could be that bad because I have dealt with them for years and yes I have had issues but nothing this severe. Trade it in and get something else, you're to bitter to continue owning this vehicle.

Mark

Old 03-31-2011, 09:07 AM
backdr10
Freshman User
Are you for real? What is it with some of the people on this site. Of course i am angry I spent a lot of my hard earned money on a vehicle and have had nothing but problems since day one. I knew better to post on this site again, but I was really interested in finding out if anyone else has had luck with transmission repairs on these trucks. I suppose if you have not personally had to go through what I have had to deal with then you would not understand. Put yourself in my shoes and see if you would not be bitter and angry. I do not get it I have a brand new truck that has been to several dealers for different repairs. If I wanted to waste my time with some of you negative posts on here I would post all of paperwork to show you what I have had to deal with. Maybe you could send me a couple thousand dollars so that I could trade the brand new vehicle in on a different vehicle and you could make up for the depreciation of the brand new truck. Thanks for the negative post- do you work for Ford ? Seriously, for others reading this post would you not be very upset if you had to deal with situation. It is very easy to sit back and make your uneducated negative posts when you are not the one going round and round with different problems. I seriously do not appreciate your comment about the problems being real. So once again, thanks for the negative posts.

Old 03-31-2011, 09:14 AM
MCDavis
Hotshot
You know, just because you're bitter and angry with Ford does not mean you have to be bitter and angry with us. You know that saying...you get out what you put in? That couldn't apply more here on FTE.
Again sorry for your troubles, but you might want to think about the content you're posting and who your intended audience is before hitting "Submit New Thread" or "Submit Reply". This site is VERY informative...if you have patience, search for answers, and ask the right questions.

Old 03-31-2011, 09:16 AM
backdr10
Freshman User
By the way the vibration previously spoken about was being caused by multiple problems which took three dealers to actually fix. The last dealer was the one to make all of the repairs and we have a good working relationship, the problems are with the constant verification of problems each visit. We know there is a problem, but to go back and reverify every other day is a joke. The service manager states that it is Corporate Ford's decision. As far as the vibration in the gas pedal it was verified by the Ford tech and they were the ones to initially reflash the trans because of it - I did not tell them to do this- It does not matter what I say at the dealer. I am courteous when I am at the dealers- do you think I am stupid enough to scream at the people doing work on my truck? Give me some kind of credit even if you want to doubt my problems. God forbid some of you guys ever have to deal with problems. I know I have a lot of post on here, but excuse me for having ongoing questions about multiple problems on this truck.

Old 03-31-2011, 09:21 AM
backdr10
Freshman User
MCdavis , I am not bitter and angry with people here. I was just asking a question seriously and I always say thank you to those who post for me like Berry. I do sincerely appreciate the help you guys provide. But when certain individuals act like I am the problem I think that it enough to upset anyone. So once again I will stop posting here.

Old 03-31-2011, 09:23 AM
MCDavis
Hotshot
I'm in customer service/account management. I deal with problems all day long.

IIRC you've actually only asked 2 questions on FTE: one about vibrations, and one about trans problems. You've been given advice, but yet you push it aside to rant again, and again.

Quick Reply: 2010 expy tire issue gone -transmission continues