Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > 1999 to 2016 Super Duty
Reload this Page >

what should i do about a tonneau cover?

Notices
1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines

what should i do about a tonneau cover?

 
  #16  
Old 03-28-2011, 10:07 PM
xmontex4's Avatar
xmontex4
xmontex4 is offline
Postmaster
Thread Starter
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Tewksbury, MA
Posts: 4,561
xmontex4 is a name known to allxmontex4 is a name known to allxmontex4 is a name known to allxmontex4 is a name known to allxmontex4 is a name known to allxmontex4 is a name known to all
hmmm.. true i might just end up going with the cover i mentioned earlier and figure something out with the bed rails later on i guess.
 
  #17  
Old 03-29-2011, 12:58 AM
BigPigDaddy's Avatar
BigPigDaddy
BigPigDaddy is offline
Postmaster
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: OR
Posts: 2,622
BigPigDaddy is a splendid one to beholdBigPigDaddy is a splendid one to beholdBigPigDaddy is a splendid one to beholdBigPigDaddy is a splendid one to beholdBigPigDaddy is a splendid one to beholdBigPigDaddy is a splendid one to behold
Some really good ideas thrown out here. Let us know what you go with.
 
  #18  
Old 03-29-2011, 10:42 AM
xmontex4's Avatar
xmontex4
xmontex4 is offline
Postmaster
Thread Starter
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Tewksbury, MA
Posts: 4,561
xmontex4 is a name known to allxmontex4 is a name known to allxmontex4 is a name known to allxmontex4 is a name known to allxmontex4 is a name known to allxmontex4 is a name known to all
will do , im going to wait till it gets alittle warmer to order one though its still too cold to do that yet lol
 
  #19  
Old 03-29-2011, 10:48 AM
Zmann's Avatar
Zmann
Zmann is offline
Posting Guru
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: AZ
Posts: 2,442
Zmann has a very good reputation on FTE.Zmann has a very good reputation on FTE.Zmann has a very good reputation on FTE.
Oh come on ! didn't you see the one demo with the snow all over the cover

lol
 
  #20  
Old 03-29-2011, 09:05 PM
xmontex4's Avatar
xmontex4
xmontex4 is offline
Postmaster
Thread Starter
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Tewksbury, MA
Posts: 4,561
xmontex4 is a name known to allxmontex4 is a name known to allxmontex4 is a name known to allxmontex4 is a name known to allxmontex4 is a name known to allxmontex4 is a name known to all
lol ok ok ill get it soon, ive gotta wait for my grille to come in first lol
 
  #21  
Old 03-29-2011, 09:33 PM
mach8274's Avatar
mach8274
mach8274 is offline
Senior User
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Indian Trail, NC
Posts: 407
mach8274 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.mach8274 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I just ordered the Extang Full-Tilt soft cover. I use my bed too much for items that are higher than the rails to have to bother with taking a hard cover on and off all the time. Had one on my old truck and I hated it. Going back to a soft cover.
 
  #22  
Old 03-29-2011, 09:55 PM
PITS's Avatar
PITS
PITS is offline
Elder User
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: K.C. MO
Posts: 639
PITS is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.PITS is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I went with the electric Roll N Lock.

Now I just need the truck to put it on...
 
  #23  
Old 03-29-2011, 10:15 PM
78bigbronco's Avatar
78bigbronco
78bigbronco is offline
Posting Guru
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Central Ohio
Posts: 1,749
78bigbronco is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by mach8274 View Post
I just ordered the Extang Full-Tilt soft cover. I use my bed too much for items that are higher than the rails to have to bother with taking a hard cover on and off all the time. Had one on my old truck and I hated it. Going back to a soft cover.
I'm in a similar situation - I routinely load stuff well above the bedrails, and want a cover I can just pop off quick and easy. I've been debating between the full tilt and the trifecta. Could you tell me, when you take off the full tilt, are there any parts left behind attached that could get damaged from filling the truck up with something like firewood? If I'm not mistaken I think the trifecta more 'completely' removes, but not sure.

I like the idea of those retractable ones, and being able to put my wood bed sides on without taking the cover off, but dont think they would stand up to a cord of wood being stacked around em, would they? Plus the cost...
 
  #24  
Old 03-30-2011, 08:42 PM
mach8274's Avatar
mach8274
mach8274 is offline
Senior User
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Indian Trail, NC
Posts: 407
mach8274 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.mach8274 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by 78bigbronco View Post
I'm in a similar situation - I routinely load stuff well above the bedrails, and want a cover I can just pop off quick and easy. I've been debating between the full tilt and the trifecta. Could you tell me, when you take off the full tilt, are there any parts left behind attached that could get damaged from filling the truck up with something like firewood? If I'm not mistaken I think the trifecta more 'completely' removes, but not sure.

I like the idea of those retractable ones, and being able to put my wood bed sides on without taking the cover off, but dont think they would stand up to a cord of wood being stacked around em, would they? Plus the cost...
Not sure what is left after you remove it. It's due to arrive tomorrow and I will probably install it tomorrow night or Friday. I will take pics and let you know how much is "left behind" after I get it installed.
 
  #25  
Old 03-30-2011, 09:09 PM
3cv
3cv is offline
Senior User
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Austin, Tx
Posts: 263
3cv is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by 78bigbronco View Post
I'm in a similar situation - I routinely load stuff well above the bedrails, and want a cover I can just pop off quick and easy.
I've decided the extang solid fold fits this best for the same needs, to take off for firewood etc and lean up in the garage. Also the storage containers full of camping stuff will fit under it to keep dry and secure with the locking tailgate. Videos on extangs site showing the install. But I haven't pulled the trigger.
 
  #26  
Old 03-30-2011, 10:07 PM
78bigbronco's Avatar
78bigbronco
78bigbronco is offline
Posting Guru
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Central Ohio
Posts: 1,749
78bigbronco is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by 3cv View Post
I've decided the extang solid fold fits this best for the same needs, to take off for firewood etc and lean up in the garage. Also the storage containers full of camping stuff will fit under it to keep dry and secure with the locking tailgate. Videos on extangs site showing the install. But I haven't pulled the trigger.
Yeah I like the solid fold but the cost is a bit too high for me. The soft one is half the price. Only difference IMO is security, and I am sure to some its well worth the extra cost but thats one feature I dont care much about.
 
  #27  
Old 03-30-2011, 11:20 PM
3cv
3cv is offline
Senior User
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Austin, Tx
Posts: 263
3cv is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by 78bigbronco View Post
Yeah I like the solid fold but the cost is a bit too high for me. The soft one is half the price. Only difference IMO is security, and I am sure to some its well worth the extra cost but thats one feature I dont care much about.
Cost is certainly the issue at the moment. I want the solid top with the extra security, but do I want it that much? Will I be able to sleep knowing my lawn chairs and cooler may not be there in the morning while camping? The only option as far as I can tell is to get a travel trailer, can't afford not to... glad that's settled...
 
  #28  
Old 03-31-2011, 03:21 AM
78bigbronco's Avatar
78bigbronco
78bigbronco is offline
Posting Guru
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Central Ohio
Posts: 1,749
78bigbronco is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Now your thinking!

TT is on my short list... but then theres that money issue again.
 
  #29  
Old 04-01-2011, 09:42 PM
mach8274's Avatar
mach8274
mach8274 is offline
Senior User
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Indian Trail, NC
Posts: 407
mach8274 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.mach8274 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Here are some pics of the Extang Full Tilt installed:

Here's what's left after removal:


With it lifted:

 
  #30  
Old 04-04-2011, 12:12 PM
78bigbronco's Avatar
78bigbronco
78bigbronco is offline
Posting Guru
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Central Ohio
Posts: 1,749
78bigbronco is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Looks pretty good!

However that piece across the top of the front might interfere with my bed rails, dont think that will work for me so I hope the trifecta doesnt have a similar mount, I'll have to look into it a bit more.
 

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: what should i do about a tonneau cover?


Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.