Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Oil leak around dipstick. Need some help

Old 03-27-2011, 07:45 PM
shark1979
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oil leak around dipstick. Need some help

i noticed today that i had a puddle of oil under my truck. after looking i found it was coming from where the dip stick goes into the base pan. How do i fix this? do i need to pull the base pan off? with the truck running oil just pours out of the fitting on the base pan, from the middle not the edges.

Old 03-27-2011, 08:00 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
According to Ford, the oil pan needs to come off to fix this. To pull the oil pan off, you have to pull the engine out of the truck.

If that sounds like too much work, you can order a repair kit here Replacement O-rings for Ford Diesel Engines that comes with instructions on how to change the parts without pulling the pan or motor.

Old 03-27-2011, 08:05 PM
shark1979
Elder User
Originally Posted by F350-6
According to Ford, the oil pan needs to come off to fix this. To pull the oil pan off, you have to pull the engine out of the truck.

If that sounds like too much work, you can order a repair kit here Replacement O-rings for Ford Diesel Engines that comes with instructions on how to change the parts without pulling the pan or motor.

thanks for the info Chris.

i am really not looking to pull the motor out of this truck. but how hard is it? i also have a oil leak on the back of the motor some where i would like to fix. not really sure how to go about this one.?

Old 03-27-2011, 08:16 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Don't waste your time even thinking about pulling the motor. Use the instructions at the above link and you'll have it fixed up with no problems unless you've somehow stripped the threads on the part that is inside the pan.

Odds are your other leak is either running back from the dipstick, or you have a leak up on top of the motor. Clean things up a bit and locate your other leak. It's probably o-ring related as well and you can just order those parts with the dipstick tube kit.

Old 03-27-2011, 08:16 PM
Shake-N-Bake
Post Fiend

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by shark1979
i noticed today that i had a puddle of oil under my truck. after looking i found it was coming from where the dip stick goes into the base pan. How do i fix this? do i need to pull the base pan off? with the truck running oil just pours out of the fitting on the base pan, from the middle not the edges.
Josh,
The dipstick tube is two pieces. A long piece on top and a short piece that has the large round flange that fits into the hole in the oil pan. The upper dipstick tube has a little o-ring where it fits into the lower section. If that o-ring is damaged or missing or your upper tube isn't seated in the lower section properly, then you can have an oil leak that looks like it's at the pan itself.

I discovered this on my wife's truck a few weeks ago. At first I thought the lower piece was leaking at the pan but after I cleaned up the area and looked some more that's when I noticed the oil coming from the dipstick tube joint. I rummaged through my garage and found an o-ring that sorta worked and no more leak. (Although, I think I should order the correct o-ring and do the job right eventually...)

If the oil leak is coming from the pan fitting....then do what Chris said.

Old 03-27-2011, 08:49 PM
shark1979
Elder User
i will for sure try all other ideas before pulling the motor. thank you all for your input

Search this Thread