Notices
1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Sprung Door? 1949

Old 03-27-2011, 04:23 PM
Jeff and Nicolle
Postmaster
Jeff and Nicolle has much to be proud ofJeff and Nicolle has much to be proud ofJeff and Nicolle has much to be proud ofJeff and Nicolle has much to be proud ofJeff and Nicolle has much to be proud ofJeff and Nicolle has much to be proud ofJeff and Nicolle has much to be proud ofJeff and Nicolle has much to be proud of
Sprung Door? 1949

How good are the doors supposed to fit?
My pass. door fits real nice, the drivers door fits real nice everywhere except the lower rear. Almost seems like it was sprung. What can be done for a better fit?

Attached Images  
Old 03-27-2011, 04:46 PM
hutchie
Junior User
hutchie is starting off with a positive reputation.
are there any bulges near the hinge? That's the problem with mine. Looks like the door was forced open past it's intended stopping point.

Old 03-27-2011, 04:52 PM
Jeff and Nicolle
Postmaster
Jeff and Nicolle has much to be proud ofJeff and Nicolle has much to be proud ofJeff and Nicolle has much to be proud ofJeff and Nicolle has much to be proud ofJeff and Nicolle has much to be proud ofJeff and Nicolle has much to be proud ofJeff and Nicolle has much to be proud ofJeff and Nicolle has much to be proud of
no thats what i can't figure out. there are no distortions in the door at all, and the fit is great all around except for the lower back edge. it sticks out like a half inch back there. also there is a wide gap on the inside at the bottom of the door where it is supposed to seal. I realize that they weren't a great fit to begin with, but it seems excessive. and yes the door seals are in at the bottom, but they are probably shot. the gap is progressively worse at the back. thanks for the reply!

Old 03-27-2011, 04:59 PM
lexcoe
Elder User
lexcoe is starting off with a positive reputation.
i know it sounds a bit brutal but have you tried a wooden block placed in the jamb and door and a few discreet whacks with a large rubber hammer, i prefer a deadshot personally. John

Old 03-27-2011, 05:56 PM
4tl8ford
Post Fiend
4tl8ford is a splendid one to behold4tl8ford is a splendid one to behold4tl8ford is a splendid one to behold4tl8ford is a splendid one to behold4tl8ford is a splendid one to behold4tl8ford is a splendid one to behold4tl8ford is a splendid one to behold
Look in the maintenance manual - It has the procedures for fixing this using a ballpien hammer - no you don't pound, it's used as a wedge - My dad showed my how back in the 50's

Old 03-27-2011, 06:45 PM
59JEEPSTANG
Senior User
59JEEPSTANG is starting off with a positive reputation.
Without seeing it in person I would guess you need to "pull out" the top back corner of the door, which is fairly easy to do with a block. Like said above check the shop manual.

Paul

Old 03-27-2011, 06:50 PM
firstrider
Postmaster
firstrider is a splendid one to beholdfirstrider is a splendid one to beholdfirstrider is a splendid one to beholdfirstrider is a splendid one to beholdfirstrider is a splendid one to beholdfirstrider is a splendid one to beholdfirstrider is a splendid one to behold
This may sound redundant but did you by any chance have the hinges off the door ? Both doors ?

Old 03-27-2011, 07:04 PM
Jeff and Nicolle
Postmaster
I haven't had the hinges off the door yet. I don't have a maintenance manual so I guess getting one might be in order. i sort of tryed using a block of wood in the door jam and used another to push on the door, it will flex some but didn't overdo it because I was afraid of making a worse mess of it. aka buckle or kink. thanks guys!

Old 03-28-2011, 01:14 PM
bobj49f2
Post Fiend
bobj49f2 has a brilliant futurebobj49f2 has a brilliant futurebobj49f2 has a brilliant futurebobj49f2 has a brilliant futurebobj49f2 has a brilliant futurebobj49f2 has a brilliant futurebobj49f2 has a brilliant futurebobj49f2 has a brilliant futurebobj49f2 has a brilliant futurebobj49f2 has a brilliant futurebobj49f2 has a brilliant future
Here's the procedure from the manual:

Old 03-28-2011, 01:59 PM
Jeff and Nicolle
Postmaster
Hey Thanks Bob!
So in other words...CAREFULLY BEAT THE CRAP OUT OF IT! push in this place, pull in that place, LOL. quite the specialized procedure! I will read it two or three times before attempting, and then refresh myself maybe halfway through the process!

Old 03-28-2011, 02:04 PM
bobj49f2
Post Fiend
bobj49f2 has a brilliant futurebobj49f2 has a brilliant futurebobj49f2 has a brilliant futurebobj49f2 has a brilliant futurebobj49f2 has a brilliant futurebobj49f2 has a brilliant futurebobj49f2 has a brilliant futurebobj49f2 has a brilliant futurebobj49f2 has a brilliant futurebobj49f2 has a brilliant futurebobj49f2 has a brilliant future
I used a cab from low mileage fire truck on my F-2. The doors didn't fit quite right, they rubbed on top at the back and there was a gap on the top at the front. I ended up jacking the door frames diagonally and they fit perfectly. I think it was a hit and miss from the factory whether the doors fit properly.

Last edited by bobj49f2; 03-28-2011 at 03:52 PM. Reason: Deleted the work "didn't" from the last sentence
Old 03-28-2011, 03:20 PM
4tl8ford
Post Fiend
4tl8ford is a splendid one to behold4tl8ford is a splendid one to behold4tl8ford is a splendid one to behold4tl8ford is a splendid one to behold4tl8ford is a splendid one to behold4tl8ford is a splendid one to behold4tl8ford is a splendid one to behold
If you can find it, get a bottle of white shoe polish and paint the door frame surface - It will show where the surface is rubbing the cab surface - It can be reapplied where needed to check progress and it washes off easily

Old 03-28-2011, 06:48 PM
Jeff and Nicolle
Postmaster
I got the idea

Its not rubbing against anything its just pulled straight away from the cab like a 1/2"
Good idea though!
I was in the garage and used a rubber mallet in the door jam as a block, then pushed and shoved some on the lower back corner of the door. it helped some but I will have to work with it more when the time comes. it flexs a little more than I expected it to.

Old 03-28-2011, 09:43 PM
tinman52
Welder User
tinman52 has a superb reputationtinman52 has a superb reputationtinman52 has a superb reputationtinman52 has a superb reputationtinman52 has a superb reputationtinman52 has a superb reputationtinman52 has a superb reputationtinman52 has a superb reputationtinman52 has a superb reputationtinman52 has a superb reputationtinman52 has a superb reputation
Roll the window down when you are twisting on it....other wise you will break it. Ask me how I know....
Also make sure the cab corner isn't bent in or been repaired at some point.

Old 03-28-2011, 09:54 PM
arrowheadfred
Posting Guru
arrowheadfred has a good reputation on FTE.arrowheadfred has a good reputation on FTE.
DO THIS

I had the same troubles with my driver door . You just have to play with it some. Put something in the door at the top and push on it. then in the middle.I played with it until it fit right. If you leave it like that the seal won't do its job. AIR /SAND You get the pic.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Sprung Door? 1949

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.