topper vs tool box opionions - Page 2 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks

topper vs tool box opionions

Old 03-27-2011, 11:29 PM
TexasGuy001
Post Fiend
TexasGuy001 has a very good reputation on FTE.TexasGuy001 has a very good reputation on FTE.TexasGuy001 has a very good reputation on FTE.TexasGuy001 has a very good reputation on FTE.
I think it all depends on what your needs are and the style of the truck. I think they all have their place.

I personally like having my chest style tool box that sits in the bed and does not stick up past the bed rails.

As for toppers, I like the ones that look like a Bronco etc, not the high ones. To me those are ugly. If they are needed for a specific purpose, then they are ok.

I would like to have a regular topper that I could put on my truck during the winter. It would come in handy and I could leave the chest box in the bed.

Old 03-27-2011, 11:46 PM
Plain Jane
Senior User
Plain Jane is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Caps are not my personal style. I have had loads of mulch and stone dropped and you cant do that with a cap/topper. I do light construction and need access to the bed at a variety of heights. I have a weather guard 117 extra long diamond plate tool box and diamond plate rail guards. I also have cargo hooks drilled through the rails. it looks good and is very useful to me. I have brought home refrigerators. washing machines, stoves etc. all standing up. You cant do that or get a load of anything dumped into the backof the truck with a cap. If by topper you mean something that covers the bed at the height of the top rail then I suppose that is useful, but most times I have carried cargo it wouldn't be able to be used because the cargo doesn't conform. I have a tarp tucked under the seat, as well as a plastic rain poncho. I have 6 or 8 bungee cords in the tool box. nothing gets wet. Do what you like, but my set up seems to work for me.

Old 03-28-2011, 01:09 PM
GHeTTo JOe
Elder User
GHeTTo JOe is starting off with a positive reputation.
how bout post some before and after pics....

Old 03-28-2011, 01:26 PM
hilljackusmc
Senior User
hilljackusmc is starting off with a positive reputation.
i like the topper on the back on my long bed f250 i had a aluminum one and in the summer i would run down to the beach and do repairs on beach houses. keep all my tools stored from elements and could put my ladders on the top. when i wasnt using the topper it worked great for a mini shed for the riding mower.

Old 03-28-2011, 01:52 PM
planehunter
Elder User
planehunter has a good reputation on FTE.planehunter has a good reputation on FTE.planehunter has a good reputation on FTE.
It's all a matter of taste and need. I have always used a topper on all of my trucks because for me it increases it's utility. But I also have a tool box, but the style that's called a pork chop because it mounts over and behind one of the wheel wells inside the bed. That way I still have full use of my bed but have a secure area for my needed supplies that I always carry. I found my tool box on craigslist after a long search cause they are hard to find. Your truck, your needs.

Old 03-28-2011, 05:15 PM
Diesel_Brad
Post Fiend
Diesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant future
I have a a variety of bed options.
my 96 F350 has a full tilt extang tonneau cover
my 97 F250 has no cover
my 94 lightning has a Checkermate FX fibeglass cover
My 04 Ranger has a cap for winter and a Safety rack and bed rails for the rest of the year
My 86 has a cap for winter and a Back Rack for the rest of the year

Old 03-28-2011, 06:08 PM
turnkyle
Elder User
turnkyle is starting off with a positive reputation.
I have a love hate relationship with shells. I love them for the winter because it keeps your bed clean and dry and I don't haul anything but my dogs in the winter either. In the summer I am always hauling dirtbikes and 4wheelers around and not having to tow atrailer all the time is nice. I usually like to get a chest style tool box (one that sits below the bed rails) and then take the shell off and on whenever needed. Having a friend that lives near by is nice for this. All you have to do is ask them to come over for a couple of beers and say "Oh yeah , while you're here......."

Old 03-28-2011, 11:17 PM
IowanStraight6
Elder User
IowanStraight6 is starting off with a positive reputation.
kyle i like the way you think lol