Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel
Reload this Page >

May Have Found An Allison Trans That Might Fit 7.3

Notices
1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

May Have Found An Allison Trans That Might Fit 7.3

Old 03-25-2011, 11:08 PM
snakedoc
Postmaster
snakedoc is a splendid one to beholdsnakedoc is a splendid one to beholdsnakedoc is a splendid one to beholdsnakedoc is a splendid one to beholdsnakedoc is a splendid one to beholdsnakedoc is a splendid one to beholdsnakedoc is a splendid one to behold
Question May Have Found An Allison Trans That Might Fit 7.3

dont know if or how it would work but i found this 1989 truck 7.3 with a AT540 4 speed Allison Auto trans in it.
3825 - Road Clearing and Cleaning Equipment at Government Liquidation
so if you just have to have a Allison trans this may be an option.

Model 4600, 4X2 truck, powered by a NAVISTAR International Transportation Corp., 7.3L Diesel engine, driven by an AT540 Allison transmission.

Old 03-25-2011, 11:50 PM
SpringerPop
Too old to be too smart
SpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputation
Matt, Matt, Matt, say it isn't so!

I can't think of one thing that a good BTS or JW 4R100 can't do FAR better than that heavy battleship anchor.

It's not over-driven, even. Gonna' getcha' lousy mileage.

Not real adaptable to four-wheel-drive.

Why would someone do something like that?

I'd consider it a bad choice and ill-thought-out.

Unless, of course, you own a school bus.....

Pop

Old 03-25-2011, 11:56 PM
snakedoc
Postmaster
snakedoc is a splendid one to beholdsnakedoc is a splendid one to beholdsnakedoc is a splendid one to beholdsnakedoc is a splendid one to beholdsnakedoc is a splendid one to beholdsnakedoc is a splendid one to beholdsnakedoc is a splendid one to behold
some people just wont to have a Allison, i would not do it but here it is for those that do. i think 70mph is as fast as you could go at 9 mpg.

Old 03-26-2011, 12:26 AM
SpringerPop
Too old to be too smart
SpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputation
Probably!

Guess you'd REALLY want to have that name brand to put up with all the downsides.

That's not to say it is a bad transmission. It isn't.

But it's SURE not for our application.

If you need to have a dump truck with an automatic transmission, I suppose...

Pop

Old 03-26-2011, 05:57 AM
megawatt00
Post Fiend
megawatt00 has a superb reputationmegawatt00 has a superb reputationmegawatt00 has a superb reputationmegawatt00 has a superb reputationmegawatt00 has a superb reputationmegawatt00 has a superb reputationmegawatt00 has a superb reputationmegawatt00 has a superb reputationmegawatt00 has a superb reputationmegawatt00 has a superb reputationmegawatt00 has a superb reputation
Allison is a great name for a girl....... just sayin

Old 03-26-2011, 07:35 AM
ghig1967
Elder User
ghig1967 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.ghig1967 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Hmmmm, makes me wonder. What transmission gets bolted behind the IH trucks with the DT466 in it?

Old 03-26-2011, 07:42 AM
DieselCamper01
Post Fiend
DieselCamper01 has much to be proud ofDieselCamper01 has much to be proud ofDieselCamper01 has much to be proud ofDieselCamper01 has much to be proud ofDieselCamper01 has much to be proud ofDieselCamper01 has much to be proud ofDieselCamper01 has much to be proud ofDieselCamper01 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by megawatt00 View Post
It sure is. That's my granddaughters name.

Old 03-26-2011, 08:56 AM
Franko72
Molon Labe
Franko72 has much to be proud ofFranko72 has much to be proud ofFranko72 has much to be proud ofFranko72 has much to be proud ofFranko72 has much to be proud ofFranko72 has much to be proud ofFranko72 has much to be proud ofFranko72 has much to be proud ofFranko72 has much to be proud ofFranko72 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by megawatt00 View Post
LOL....Allison got their rep from the big OTR truck trannies. The smaller ones aren't that great, and certainly not worth the effort to shoe horn in one of our trucks.
Dont believe the hype when the Chevy guys brag about em...when you have a "lesser" truck like Chevy, you have to find one thing about it to brag about.

Old 03-26-2011, 09:36 AM
damicofuel
Senior User
damicofuel is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by ghig1967 View Post
Hmmmm, makes me wonder. What transmission gets bolted behind the IH trucks with the DT466 in it?
Like Pop said, ok for a dump truck!!

Old 03-27-2011, 08:03 PM
snakedoc
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Franko72 View Post
LOL....Allison got their rep from the big OTR truck trannies. The smaller ones aren't that great, and certainly not worth the effort to shoe horn in one of our trucks.
Dont believe the hype when the Chevy guys brag about em...when you have a "lesser" truck like Chevy, you have to find one thing about it to brag about.
i like that a "lesser" truck

Old 03-27-2011, 08:06 PM
remhaust
Senior User
remhaust is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
All i gota say is good luck.LOL Never seen a allison last yet. But anythings possible

Old 03-27-2011, 08:08 PM
Franko72
Molon Labe
Franko72 has much to be proud ofFranko72 has much to be proud ofFranko72 has much to be proud ofFranko72 has much to be proud ofFranko72 has much to be proud ofFranko72 has much to be proud ofFranko72 has much to be proud ofFranko72 has much to be proud ofFranko72 has much to be proud ofFranko72 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by snakedoc View Post
i like that a "lesser" truck
My best friend had a chevy 3500 8.1 gas, and the only thing that came out of his mouth was Allison Allison Allison....I guess that was the only good thing about his truck, so he had to keep repeating it to himself while he was driving around getting 9mpg.

Old 03-27-2011, 08:14 PM
snakedoc
Postmaster
if he is getting 9mpg it must have been from the tail wind.

Old 03-27-2011, 08:17 PM
wildlifer
Senior User
wildlifer is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
"tail wind" *snicker* Oh, thank you all, I needed those laughs tonight! ROFLMAO!!

Old 03-27-2011, 09:31 PM
dlibson
Post Fiend
dlibson has a spectacular reputation.dlibson has a spectacular reputation.dlibson has a spectacular reputation.dlibson has a spectacular reputation.dlibson has a spectacular reputation.dlibson has a spectacular reputation.dlibson has a spectacular reputation.dlibson has a spectacular reputation.dlibson has a spectacular reputation.dlibson has a spectacular reputation.dlibson has a spectacular reputation.
I've been working on big trucks for a long time. Even in those I don't have mush good to say about an Allison. Much less the tranny with the Allison name on it they put in a Chevy...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: May Have Found An Allison Trans That Might Fit 7.3

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.