Drag truck or Car?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2011, 12:04 AM
jchamp429
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Good point. I'm kinda leaning towards the FE since its an FE era car, plus its a more door so it will never be the fastest thing around. I may just keep my eye open for a 2 door to build a 577 for as a dedicated drag car.

Old 04-09-2011, 05:29 PM
427 fordman
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 32 Posts
Just about ready to fire the 390. Need a bottom radiator hose, driveshaft, and a fitting to finish my oil pressure line. Oh, and dad to get home, don't want to fire it without him! Here's a couple new pics

Old 04-10-2011, 05:32 PM
polcat
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just curious what drag race your talking about? Anyways looks like I am still one of the few running a truck around here

Old 04-10-2011, 06:32 PM
427 fordman
Hotshot
none imparticular. He titled the thread anyone building an fe drag truck or car, just participating.

Old 04-16-2011, 09:01 PM
polcat
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AHH I got it! Just curious how many FE guys are running in trucks?

Old 04-21-2011, 07:49 AM
RapidRuss
FE "Freakin Expensive"

Got one...But still far from the finish !! Might be done by retirement time ?

Old 04-22-2011, 10:48 AM
maxtor
Posting Guru

Originally Posted by RapidRuss
Got one...But still far from the finish !! Might be done by retirement time ?
You need to get on the stick Russ,, Time is flying by. You should have one bad truck when you are finished.
What's up with Glens project?

Old 04-22-2011, 11:11 AM
RapidRuss
FE "Freakin Expensive"

Originally Posted by maxtor
You need to get on the stick Russ,, Time is flying by. You should have one bad truck when you are finished.
What's up with Glens project?
Hey Lloyd good to see you in here again buddy ! I dont know how bad it'll be? But it should get out of its own way I hope...LOL..Just a set back with money coming in after my botched foot surgery..You know 3 steps forward and 2 steps back, hell I'd be ahead of the game if I got that 427 collecting dust at your place and sold what I have for a aluminum top end..I could be Racin this summer then..

Glenns doing fine on his build..he 454 Sideoiler Ford is gonna be one Bad Azz motor when done..he's only a few parts away from starting to put it together..He does need final machine work done tho..As close as I could come on his build and still being some what street legal was about 625/650hp and well over 550ftlbs of Tq..all in by 6600rpm..and starting at about 3000 rpm with a good 500ftlbs of Tq down low.. But as like mine its been slow..as work is slow..so ya do what ya can when ya can..

Its been good to hear from ya..Dont be a stranger..we need to get this forum back to its prior Glory ! Peace !

Old 04-22-2011, 11:31 AM
FFR428
Needsmorecoffee.

Hey Lloyd how it going out there?? Hope you get some good runs on the Falcon this season. Russ pretty much covered my situation. I'd be happy with 500-550hp so we'll see how it turns out? I've been out of work since last Sept but hopefully will be working again by June 1st if all goes well. That's taken the wind out of my sails cash wise but I'm still pluggin along.

Old 04-22-2011, 08:58 PM
maxtor
Posting Guru

I know the economy has been brutal for many people. I am just fortunate to be retired from a good company. Yes the 427 and 428scj are just collecting dust.
The Falcon is going out tomorrow night for the first time this year. I filled the nitrous bottle, so we will see if it will go into the 9's with a little juice.
Most of this winter has been taken up by my going to the dark side and buying a Corvette. I took it down to L.A. and had them install a supercharger so it had enough hp to stay up with our Focus.

It made 515.67 hp on the dyno, which is about 606 hp at the flywheel. I bought it with the Z51 suspension package, so I could road race it at Thunderhill raceway.

I will let you guys know how the old FE did Sunday, because the racing starts Saturday at 6 p.m. and ends at 11 p.m.
It ran 10.26 last year going sideways at mid track, (about messed my pants),so hoping for 9's with a little juice.
Since I do not have a NHRA license, (don't want one) I can only run one 9 second pass, or I will be kicked off the track.
I hope all goes well for you guys this year. You both have some fun projects.

Old 04-23-2011, 06:07 AM
RapidRuss
FE "Freakin Expensive"

Originally Posted by maxtor
I know the economy has been brutal for many people. I am just fortunate to be retired from a good company. Yes the 427 and 428scj are just collecting dust.
The Falcon is going out tomorrow night for the first time this year. I filled the nitrous bottle, so we will see if it will go into the 9's with a little juice.
Most of this winter has been taken up by my going to the dark side and buying a Corvette. I took it down to L.A. and had them install a supercharger so it had enough hp to stay up with our Focus.

It made 515.67 hp on the dyno, which is about 606 hp at the flywheel. I bought it with the Z51 suspension package, so I could road race it at Thunderhill raceway.

I will let you guys know how the old FE did Sunday, because the racing starts Saturday at 6 p.m. and ends at 11 p.m.
It ran 10.26 last year going sideways at mid track, (about messed my pants),so hoping for 9's with a little juice.
Since I do not have a NHRA license, (don't want one) I can only run one 9 second pass, or I will be kicked off the track.
I hope all goes well for you guys this year. You both have some fun projects.
Well lloyd, I wouldnt say the Vette was going over to the Dark side.. I happen to have a love for all cars that are well thought out and put together well..and ya have to love the Vettes..or you dont have any blood running thru you veins.. Who's blower did you go with , and who did you have do the wrenching down south ?

We did nt have the New Stang for a few days and I was already looking into the X-Charger blower for it.. but it still has 23K before it comes off of warranty, It only being the V6 4.0L motor, even with 11psi only gets about 380hp at the wheels according to Dave at Explorer Express and Gaylon a mule Privateer thats banking the new R1900 blower set up for the 4.0L Stangs..

I would have gone with the GT, But it was a little out of my price range with only one income at this point and me being partially Handicap now..after a botched surgery from our Great VA hospital..

But Gaylon is thinking with the Higher displacement of the R1900 blower and a air to water intercooler..you can run less boost intern lower heat in the system plus even cooler charge, he's banking on around 400rwhp out of the 6 Banger..So we'll see...Its a one off right now..But they have all the computer files saved ..and if his turns out right..X-Charger will go into production on them.. I still cant wrap my head around the sound of a V6 tho..aint nothing like the V8 sound !

Good luck with the Falcon come sunday and please keep us gearheads posted..get someone to do some video if you can..you know were a picture kind of group..as we have a hard time reading the big words like it and the..LOL

Have safe but great weekend, and Happy Easter Buddy !

Old 04-23-2011, 06:42 AM
427 fordman
Hotshot
Would love to hear how it runs too Lloyd. Pictures or a video would be great if you can. I'm hoping to get the 390 out on the 14th,15th. It's running now, just got some little things to do. I'm looking for the high 10's, I think it should run there. It's kind of put together like a superstock car, so a nice wheelstand should be in the works...

Old 04-23-2011, 11:59 AM
maxtor
Posting Guru

It is 9 a.m. here on the left coast, and I just got up, "it's raining". I hope it stops and clears for tonight.
I have a camera that takes movies. A buddy used my camera to take video of the November run, but being old like me, he took 10 seconds of the run and 12 minutes of pictures of the ground because he did not turn off the camera. How do you edit out the 12 minutes, so we can upload the 10 seconds?
Anyway, I will need to find a "young" person to take the movie.
The installer for the Supercharger was A&A Corvette in Oxnard Ca. They designed the system using the Vortech s/c. They specialize in Corvette installations. I purchased the V3 unit that has its own oiling system and does not use the engine oil.
http://www.aacorvette.com/supercharg...products_id=81

They also installed a racing clutch, because the stock clutch will not hold the added hp.
They have vendors all over the country, and have to protect them with low prices, so they are pricey, (List price x2) but I feel the best, so that is why I went to them even though they had vendors in San Jose which is 220 miles from us, when they are 550 miles from us. The vette has been in the garage for the last 45 days, because coming back from Oxnard, a rock truck pelted the front of the vette with rock chips, so I had it re-painted. The paint is curing. It turned out to be an expensive trip. Anyway, we now have a vette with a new paint job, and only 32 hp less than a 2011 ZR1 vette.
It sounds like you, Glenn and 427 Fordman all have great projects ahead. A large part of the fun in life is planning and building projects. Wish you were out here to help this old man at the track. Most of my old buddies have kind of given up on life, but not me... at least not yet.
Have a great Easter also. Jesus gave his life for us.

Old 04-23-2011, 04:10 PM
maxtor
Posting Guru

The race has been canceled due to wet track. Next race May 7th.

BTW 427 Fordman,,,your engine looks great.
Here is ours.

http://s283.photobucket.com/albums/k...Ford%20Falcon/

Old 04-23-2011, 04:36 PM
427 fordman
Hotshot
Yep, yours looks excellent maxtor. I just love the looks and sound of a built up good ol FE. I had permagrin for a while after getting ours fired up.

Stinks about the weather, now you'll just have to think about it a couple more weeks! We have a race next weekend, but I don't want to rush finishing up the project, so will make the next one.

Quick Reply: Drag truck or Car?