Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Straight pipes on a built 302.

Old 03-21-2011, 04:12 PM
swampbusiness94
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Straight pipes on a built 302.

im putting straight pipes on my f150 and i gotta few questions. im worried about back pressure problems but i wanna get the loudest and best sound out of it without putting short body mufflers on it. i was told with the correct bends and angles you dont have to buy mufflers to get back pressure. i have a old 2.5inch X pipe laying in the shop and i was wondering if that would help with the back pressure....any ideas???

Old 03-21-2011, 10:01 PM
zxwut?
Fleet Mechanic
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Don't worry about back pressure. You're over your head if that's what you're worried about.

They make S-bent pipes that are supposed to be able to replace mufflers but I don't like them. I've never heard anything with straight pipes that sounded "good." I think what sounds good depends on the person though. I'd just put a y-pipe to a high flow cat, to a muffler of your choosing, to a tailpipe.

Old 03-22-2011, 09:28 AM
raystankewitz
Posting Guru

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Another straight pipe thread!

You know, just have your muffler man put 3" pipes out to just in front of your rear tires. Don't bother to come out the sides, just go with some down tips. It's going to drone like mad but what the hell, you're loud now!

Now you're loud as you could be without just leaving the pipes off altogether. Go out cruising and make your neighbors like you by setting off their car alarms. Be sure to wave and shoot the local cops a big rev when you see them . . .

go get a single 3" in/out Magnaflow. Sounds good, neighbors won't be tempted to talk to you about your vehicle's volume.

Old 03-22-2011, 09:38 AM
swampbusiness94
Freshman User
well i already got a good set up but its just not loud enough.
haha, you cant blame me for wanting it louder. but i gotta 2 inch pipe running down to a true duel flowmaster exhaust(only on one side). i dont want it to sound like crap i just want it to be louder. haha

Old 03-22-2011, 10:15 AM
zxwut?
Fleet Mechanic
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I can blame you for wanting it louder. It's things like this that lead to strict noise standards. It's also simply annoying.

Here's what you're thinking:
"Holy crap, everyone's looking at me. I'm such a BA; they must think I'm so cool now!"

What they're thinking:
"Holy crap, I wish his truck would explode into a ball of flames and put itself out of its misery. What an idiot!"

Old 03-22-2011, 10:24 AM
White Max
Laughing Gas
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by swampbusiness94
well i already got a good set up but its just not loud enough.
haha, you cant blame me for wanting it louder. but i gotta 2 inch pipe running down to a true duel flowmaster exhaust(only on one side). i dont want it to sound like crap i just want it to be louder. haha
A single pipe running to a dual out muffler isn't "true duals".

From the heads all the way back, what exactly is your current setup?

-Rod

Old 03-22-2011, 10:57 AM
6CylBill
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I can blame you, you little peice. It's kids like you that wake me up in the middle of the night.

Old 03-22-2011, 11:17 AM
BRay09
Cargo Master
Here we go again...

Put in a high flow cat and put a good dual chambered muffler on it. It'll sound good. Being loud in a neighborhood like mine won't give you any rep points. people respect a great sounding exhaust vs hating an annoying loud a$$ truck that drives in at 4 in the morning.

Old 03-22-2011, 11:30 AM
6CylBill
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by BRay09
Here we go again...

Put in a high flow cat and put a good dual chambered muffler on it. It'll sound good. Being loud in a neighborhood like mine won't give you any rep points. people respect a great sounding exhaust vs hating an annoying loud a$$ truck that drives in at 4 in the morning.
EXACTLY.

Rep points for you.

Old 03-22-2011, 12:05 PM
KevinGnWV
The village idiot.

When I was young.........

I had an old cheby with a 4 spd. Down hills in town while "cruising" I'd shut the ignition off in gear then turn it back on Talk about loud....wow. Cost me $50 for the fine.

Anyway.....loud is not cool. Go through a fast food drive-thru that loud and I'll bet you get the secret recipe on your whopper

Old 03-22-2011, 01:06 PM
timbersteel
Logistics Pro
Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts
Absolutely, The most entertaining thread I have read in a long time!! I needed a laugh, but now my sides are hurting..

If you want it louder, be sure not to decide to go hunting, go thru the drive-thru, and don't expect the neighbors to call the cops if someone is stealing your "Ear deafing, teeth chattering" truck...."they probably paid someone to do it for them and didn't have the heart to do it themselves.

I ran 3" pipe from the bend over the cross-member and dumped it in front of the rear pass. tire. My neighbors don't complain... is good enough for me.

Old 03-22-2011, 04:36 PM
BRay09
Cargo Master
Just to throw fuel on the fire... what exactly do you mean by a "built" 302? Headers, heads, cam intake with MA and a custom tune? If not it'll sound like crap with no muffler. Having more power out of that truck with an exhaust set up with lets say a super 44 flowmaster and a high flow cat would sound good and not be too loud to get you into trouble.

Old 03-22-2011, 08:42 PM
HotrodSmurf
Senior User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i had a straight piped chevy given to me... it was fun for five minutes. i thought my ford was too quiet till my brother borrowed and i heard it from outside that cab. be loud, not obnoxious.

Old 03-22-2011, 09:29 PM
MGIBSON
New User
A "built 302" ??? What do you mean? I was under the assumption that All engines were built at some time or another, usually toward the beginning of their lives, but I may be wrong. I must have one of those "hatched engines" shucks!

Old 03-23-2011, 01:16 PM
swampbusiness94
Freshman User
This is what i mean by built........bored 60. over, ford racing roller heads (complete roller motor), competition solid lifter cam, roller rocker arms...MUCH more

And plus were did ya'll get the impression that im driving this on the road??????? i didnt say i was driving it on public roads anyways......man talk about people jumping to conclusions ^^

And plus even if i did i dont drive a 4 in the morning?....the damn truck doesnt even fit in drive throughs.....and i live out in the middle of nowhere in south Georgia and no one cares how loud my truck is going to be trust me i have thought of all the circumstances.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Straight pipes on a built 302.