Opinions From the Ford Gurus

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2003, 11:43 AM
warriorblaze
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Opinions From the Ford Gurus

Hey Guys,
Could you help out a fellow Ford lover? I'm wanting to get a 97 to 2000 model F-150. Specifically a 2wd with a 4.6 backed by a 5 speed manual, short bed. Everything else is up in the air because I'm not gonna be that picky. I want to build this truck as a lowrider and one FAST truck. Any Information you might be able to offer to help me narrow down a specific model year or point out any problems with these trucks would be helpful.
Thanks

BTW, I'm also building a 79 Bronco 4x4 If anyone cares to know. lol

Old 03-17-2003, 02:51 PM
Expy D
Freshman User

Take it from someone who has done exactly what your thinking, do not go with the 4.6/5 speed combo.. you WILL be disapointed. I ordered an early '98 in '97, regular cab, flareside, 2WD, before the Lightnings with the same idea. Looked very similar to the '97 BellTech poster truck. Did a 4/6 drop, 20" Billet Specialties, exhaust, paint, grill, etc. It was an awesome truck except the powertrain combo. The other issue you'll have to deal with is application of power in a stick. The rear leaf setup would hop like hell with an aggresive launch. Go with the 5.4/auto combo, toss on a Vortech and you'll be much happier. I have had very good sucess with Vortechs on other vehicles. Good luck with your project!

Old 03-28-2003, 05:47 PM
Ford_a_holic
Senior User

im not sure you can have a 4.6L with the 5sd manual. I thought only the V6 came with standards but i could be wrong. I i agree with the post above me go with the 5.4 auto and if you have the money supercharge it.

Old 03-29-2003, 11:47 PM
kspilkinton
Postmaster

The 4.2's and 4.6's have the option (or standard) of an M5OD manual. The 5.4's only show up in the F150's with an auto.

Try the attitude: "the newer the better" as you look for your truck.

-Kerry