6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Turbo braking yes/no?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2011, 10:15 PM
joe blow
Cargo Master
Received 336 Likes on 209 Posts
Turbo braking yes/no?

I have talked to Matt @ gearhead about adding the turbo braking via the SCT to my truck. Matt said he does not like it because under severe duty it adds extreme pressures to the exhaust valves and that is why he discourages the use of it. I wanted to know what your guys' experience is with this feature if you use it.

Thanks

Old 03-23-2011, 10:30 PM
Jayybird
Tuned
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I am interested in this aswell ( just subscribing).

Old 03-23-2011, 11:02 PM
High Binder
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I wouldn't say 'extreme pressures' but more than you'll want in these engines. I've seen it work but on industrial (specifically ship) engines but they're built for it.

I'd strongly suggest skipping it on our 6.0/4/7 engines, they're just not engineered for it.

Old 03-24-2011, 04:47 AM
joe blow
Cargo Master
That is what he was trying to get through my thick head.....and it does make sense. He did however mention that he accentuates the tow/haul mode and makes this feature work much better ad hit harder/better with his tuning.

Old 03-24-2011, 05:18 AM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

Received 68 Likes on 42 Posts
Matt is right about the exhaust valves. The springs are already pretty weak and valve to piston clearance is at a minimum anyway. If the towhaul feature is properly configured it works very well.

Old 03-24-2011, 09:40 AM
snorindad
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is something I was going to look into for my truck. Thay make a couple of exhaust brakes that go on right behind the turbo and also make some that go farther back in the exhaust system. I have used exhaust brakes in many larger trucks and it is the only way to go. Dodge offers exhaust braking in their trucks and I think Chevy also is starting to offer this. The tow haul mode seems to me runs the rpms to high and I can't see how that can be good for this engine. I tow 15k fifth wheel and it just screams on the down hill with the tow haul. Anyway I will shut up now but I would be interested on what everybody thinks about exhaust brakes(Jacobson,B&D,and others). Thanks

Old 03-24-2011, 10:17 AM
joe blow
Cargo Master
The exhaust brake (mechanical) is much different and better than the turbo brake IMO ( I have no personal experience with either so take it with a grain of salt)....the turbo brake manipulates the vanes within the turbo to create backpressure, while the mechanical add-on exaust brake closes a butterfly to limit/stop exhaust flow out of the pipe to create backpressure.

Personally the add-on brake is my first choice because you are able to turn it on/off as opposed to the turbo brake that is on ALL the time, which some people claim to be a nuisance. The cost for the add-on exhaust brake is the deciding factor for me....50.00 for a custom tune as opposed to almost 1500.00 and about 10+ hours of labor for the other

Old 03-24-2011, 11:09 AM
snorindad
Elder User
I did not know until now just how the turbo brake worked. And yes the exhaust brake is more expensive but if it saves on your truck and trialer brakes and is also safer the that to me justifies the money. I have a friend that has a dodge and he says he never even touches his brakes going downhill with the exhaust brake. I am just curious if it does any harm or not.

Old 03-24-2011, 01:47 PM
joe blow
Cargo Master
As far as more efficient....most likely. In regards to safe for the motor......I am pretty certain this application is. You definitlely want to do your homework though.

Old 03-24-2011, 02:14 PM
snorindad
Elder User
10-4 on the homework. before i do the exhaust brake i plan on installing studs and some other mods first but I just want to find out which system is best and is less hazardous to the motor. But I think it will be safer for the passangers in the truck also.

Old 03-24-2011, 04:11 PM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

Received 68 Likes on 42 Posts
Originally Posted by snorindad
This is something I was going to look into for my truck. Thay make a couple of exhaust brakes that go on right behind the turbo and also make some that go farther back in the exhaust system. I have used exhaust brakes in many larger trucks and it is the only way to go. Dodge offers exhaust braking in their trucks and I think Chevy also is starting to offer this. The tow haul mode seems to me runs the rpms to high and I can't see how that can be good for this engine. I tow 15k fifth wheel and it just screams on the down hill with the tow haul. Anyway I will shut up now but I would be interested on what everybody thinks about exhaust brakes(Jacobson,B&D,and others). Thanks
What do you consider high RPM's??? They will stand a LOT of RPM's compared to other diesels. Mine has seen in excess of 4500 more than once and it's a stock bottom end. I know braking is a different story, but under 4K is nothing.

Old 03-24-2011, 07:08 PM
snorindad
Elder User
Over 3k and that is with 15k trailer pushing it. I just thought and exhaust brake would be a better method of keeping 23k under control going up and down the hills. I know these engines are work horses but it just seems to me why put that kind of strain on them and the trany for that matter. I am no expert on these matters and that is why I read this forum all the time you might say I am addicted to it. I do appreciate everyone who replies to the questions I and others post.

Old 03-24-2011, 08:20 PM
joe blow
Cargo Master
I can say one thing norindad.....I will let you know how well GEARHEAD's modified/enhanced tow-haul mode works when I get his three tune package....He and others claim it to be better than turbo braking. To be honest with you, my tow/haul function works pretty good in holding the trailer at a decent deceleration speed with an occasional tap of the service brake. I am curious as to how well Matt's works. I'll let you guys know once I get it.

Old 03-24-2011, 08:30 PM
snorindad
Elder User
Thanks look forward to hearing your results.

Old 03-24-2011, 08:48 PM
joe blow
Cargo Master
It will be a couple of weeks though buddy....

Quick Reply: Turbo braking yes/no?