Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake caliper question?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2011, 03:27 PM
Shanemh
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brake caliper question?

I am going to change the front left caliper on my truck as it seems to be sticking and wearing the inside pad down quick.
I noticed that at my local kragen, the prices range from $40-$140.
Is there a certain brand I should go with or is it better to go with the more expensive ones for quality reasons?
Also, is it a good idea to replace both sides when doing this?
Any info much appreciated.
Thanks

Old 03-25-2011, 03:37 PM
rla2005
Hotshot
Received 1,163 Likes on 918 Posts
How much is your life worth? I stay away from the low end brands. My experience has been to replace both calipers as a set.

Old 03-25-2011, 03:44 PM
Truck Paradise
Senior User
Chances are the slides are hanging up. Remove the slide hardware, clean off all corrosion, and antisieze. $0.00

I'm not saying this is definately the problem, but if it's wearing the inboard pad and the outboard pad still looks new then try this first.

Old 03-25-2011, 03:59 PM
andym
Post Fiend
Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts
Yes, definitely try cleaning the slides first. If they are sticking they will cause the same symptoms as a stuck caliper.

There really shouldn't be a big price difference in calipers. You might be looking at loaded vs. unloaded caliper prices. Loaded calipers come with pads, unloaded do not. Even so, I would not go with the cheap ones and I would put brake parts from Autozone, Kragen, Pep boys, etc. on anything I drive. Try ordering online, the prices and quality are both much better.

Old 03-25-2011, 08:22 PM
Keystonepaul
Junior User
the prices and quality are both much better.

Old 03-26-2011, 01:45 AM
xxshine
Senior User
Isin't Kragen now called O'reilly ? And don't they offer a limited lifetime replacement ?

Old 03-26-2011, 02:39 AM
Nevada Al
Senior User
I would put brake parts from Autozone, Kragen, Pep boys, etc. on anything I drive. Try ordering online, the prices and quality are both much better.

would or wouldn't?...lol...There's only so many manufactures...As far as F-series trucks go you can get 95-99% of the same brands from the auto parts stores as you can online......I guess Brembo and EBC make garbage better left to the third world... BTW, a very large portion of the police and emergency vehicles in this country brake with Raybestos products that can be had at probably all those stores...

I get the point that stuff like this can be bought "cheaper online" but in this economy It's not a horrible thing to keep your "locally earned" money supporting your own community and stores..... Not to mention if something don't line up you can drive down the street and straighten it out...I order stuff online all the friggen time too, mainly cause I live 60 miles from nowhere, but I do get it...

OP, I'd also check to make sure your not hanging a caliper..As far as parts there's lots of brands to choos from but you are NOT going to die by using anything sold at the local parts store... Of course there are difference's in product quality, you know the old saying you get what you pay for.... but like most other things there IS a point of dimishing returns.....

Old 03-26-2011, 02:50 AM
zxwut?
Fleet Mechanic
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You could just rebuild your stock calipers...