Sponsored by: DP Tuner

how to fix rear main

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2011, 11:31 PM
szotty
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
how to fix rear main

hello well i belive its the rear main seal leaking the valley is dry the rear hole that drains in to tranny is dry, the end rail plugs are dry so that leads me to this conclusion.so whats involved on fixing it and how expreinced do you need to be to fix and what tools needed?

Old 03-22-2011, 07:46 AM
riverrat41
Postmaster

The rear main leak is a rare occurance with our trucks.....BUT...Mine is one of the rare ones as well.Mine has been leaking for several years now.It will make a spot on the concrete about the size of a silver dollar.If I take a 4hr trip it will drip a little more.I am really not concerend with fixing it until I have to pull the tranny.You cannot pull the oil pan on our trucks without pulling the motor or cutting the frame support out.
I just tolerate it for now.

Old 03-22-2011, 08:01 AM
bfife
still plays with trucks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
check the rear edge of the oil pan. I had a nasty leak that I too thought had to be rear main. right behind the starter, this thing would leave a "blood trail" like a stuck hog. but after REALLY looking it over discovered it was the pan to block "gasket". I took a 1/4 drift punch and tapped up, all around the outside edge and the leak all but stopped. the oil pan does not need to come off to change the rear main seal. rear mains do require a special seal installer

Barney

Old 03-22-2011, 08:21 AM
szotty
Senior User
cool cool i have same silver dollar effect going on more now cus lighter wieght oil for winter. i just last fall took engine out and put new pan on and i thought at that time turbo seals so thats why i didnt replace. hmm might call around for price to get done looks like tool is 300 bucks