6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

MY 6.7 Diesel NIGHTMARE

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2011, 12:35 PM
PDX_F250_78
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by srosa
That is a stretch. There is some koolaid being injested here but I've found the forum participants to be very helpful and most are objective enough when discussing complaints.

If Ford employees who also happen to own Ford trucks wish to add to the forum, the rest of us are better off for it. Their status as union or non-union workers is completely irrelevant to the discussion.

Steve
LOL, a crook is a crook

You have two posters questioning the veracity of the OP. So you don't know what people's motives are all the time.

Old 03-22-2011, 12:54 PM
johnnyballgame
Freshman User
Well Put

Thanks rickatic I appreciate your comment and have seen many of your posts that have been very helpful to me. I'm writing a new post that has more detailed information and will post in a minute.

Originally Posted by rickatic
I missed the fireworks and the post deletions but as a frequent contributor I feel compelled to comment. Ford does not dictate commentary here. Although there are some Ford staff that visits this site they participate as members and have no edit privileges.

I visit many web boards but I call this forum home. The reason is simple. This site is the least confrontational of any I frequent. Trolls and troublemakers do not last long here. Although no one is expected to prove anything, low post count members do raise the troll flag when they post trouble and then do not respond. Occasionally, this causes some hard feelings when the story is real and the owner gets wrongfully suspected of trolling. All one needs to do is visit other sites and see what bickering and bashing is allowed to go on to see why this group is protective of it's civil environment. The mod's here do a great job. I know both 6.7 mods personally and neither is a Ford employee...just a couple of good old boy's who like Ford trucks.

It was the listing of every small issue these trucks have had in widely scattered geographies all encased in one truck and posted by a relatively new member that raised the troll flag. Unfortunately, you fit the mold but not the motive.

All of us type a message now and then that could be worded better. Many here always try to do better after we write something we later regret.

Please continue your participation here and let us know how your issues are resolved.

Regards

Old 03-22-2011, 01:00 PM
johnnyballgame
Freshman User
OK so here is a factual breakdown of my 2011 F-350 Lariat buying experience. I’ll try to keep it as short as possible but unfortunately it’s longer than I would have liked<O</O
Ø I ordered my truck and was told 6-8 weeks for delivery and it took 10>><O</O
Ø Salesman called me to tell me my truck would be in tomorrow so I went and signed my F-150 away that I sold privately that day<O></O>
Ø Called the salesman the next day and he told me he messed up and meant to tell me next Monday not this one, so I rented a car for a week because they wouldn’t provide me with a loaner<O></O>
Ø During the test drive I immediately noticed the shifting issue and was told the diesel trucks have to break in about 1,000 miles prior to running smoother<O></O>
Ø Took the truck in for service after several hundred miles later because the tranny was still horrible and I was concerned<O></O>
Ø Dealer re-flashed the truck and told me it was fixed<O></O>
Ø I took it back a month later because nothing changed and complained to the service manager who told me he personally road tested it and acknowledged my concern and said they were doing a new flash and that it would fix it. They flashed it again and road tested it and told me that it drives a 100 times better<O></O>
Ø I picked up the vehicle and nothing had changed<O></O>
Ø I dropped it off the next day for an oil change and scheduled another appointment for the tranny. The dealer locked my keys in the truck during the oil change and rather than admitting this and asking me for the electronic key code, I saw them trying to jimmy the lock. I was furious with the manager and they refunded my oil service fee and as a courtesy topped off my DEF fluid.<O></O>
Ø I started the truck to leave and the check engine light was on and they were closing for the day so they told me they would address it at my next service appointment but assured me it couldn’t have been from anything they did with the oil change and def top off.<O></O>
Ø At the next appointment they told me they did another reflash to fix the tranny and that the check engine light came on from the DEF being filled to the brim and that there is a sensor that doesn’t work and Ford is engineering a fix for that and they would call me when Ford found a fix to the issue. They told me 4 wheel drive sounding like a sledge hammer was normal on diesels.<O></O>
Ø I drove the vehicle away with the check engine light on, transmission issues un-resolved and multiple other little issues.<O></O>
Ø I went back to the salesman and told him to work with his management because I was done with the vehicle. I paid $60K for it and they told me they would give me $47K trade in for it and at that point I pursued Ford directly. I went back and forth with Ford until they finally issued me an offer to trade my lemon for any ford or Lincoln vehicle of equal or greater value. I was thrilled until they hit me with the $6K usage. I ordered the same truck but with the 6.2 gas engine and I guess unless I get an attorney I’m just screwed. I hope the gas truck does better than this one.<O></O>
Ø I fault my dealer for much of this because I think they are just incompetent. The main issue I have with Ford is they didn’t step up and take care of me as a customer either. Bottom line, I just don’t understand why I have to pay the $6K but they say it is my state lemon law. Regardless of that, I wish Ford or the dealer would step up and work with me a little. I’m not saying that there shouldn’t be some usage fee, but for all I have been through this just seems excessive.<O></O>

Old 03-22-2011, 01:11 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts
Okay, thread cleaned up.

First of all, there is NOBODY employed by Ford that has Mod rights here on FTE. We are not owned or subsidized in any way from Ford. While these public forums may be monitored by Ford there has been very little involvement by Ford in recent years with few exceptions.

Secondly, earlier I attempted to correct what could be considered a personal attack and subsequently removed the posts related to that. I was hoping to not derail things, but things went awry fast after that.

Personal attacks aren't welcome here. This is a technical forum for discussing issues, everyone is free to express their opinion as long as it's not a personal attack against someone else.

If anyone has any issues with this feel free to send me a PM, I will not discuss this futher in public.

Thanks!

Old 03-22-2011, 02:19 PM
djjoshuad
Posting Guru
@crazy001 - thanks for the moderation

@johnnybg - The detail does help clear some things up. It looks like your real problems are with your dealer. You have to try and keep that frustration separate from what's going on with the truck itself. Not an easy thing to do, but the dealer didn't build your truck, and Ford does not own that dealer. I do hope, however, that you reported all of this to Ford so that they are aware. They may not want to do business with a dealer that is apparently as incompetent as yours is. I think you may also have gotten a bad transmission. All of the "fixes" that your dealer did probably had no effect. Again, this should be blamed mostly on the dealer... a good technician will recognize the difference between a trans that needs new software and one that needs replacement. I'm relatively certain that a better tech who has more experience with the 2011 SD would be able to get you all fixed up. The other issues are minor and once again... could be *easily* fixed by a good technician.

You have been the unfortunate victim of an incompetent dealer. If there is another one anywhere within reasonable driving distance, I strongly suggest that you work with them. It might not be too late to resurrect your 6.7L and avoid that 6k hit... and the one that will come on resale with that gasser

Old 03-22-2011, 02:50 PM
johnnyballgame
Freshman User
Does anyone have any positve or negative feedback on the 6.2 vs. the diesel. I'm getting 12 MPG on my diesel and I drive 30% highway, 70% city, I have a very light foot and haven't towed anything for 6 months. Somebody prior mentioned that it might be because the diesel up here in Alaska but I don't know what's going on. Regardless, the dealer was claiming I was going to get a minimum of 17MPG and that's a far cry. I gave Ford every opportunity to help me with this issue and while I appluad their willingness to do the exchange of vehicles, they refuse to work with me in any other way and have showed no interest in trying to win me over as a customer...

Old 03-22-2011, 03:09 PM
djjoshuad
Posting Guru
the 6.2 is a great engine, but it's not a diesel. You will lose half of your torque and it will rev a LOT higher to make it's maximum... so your mileage towing will be significantly worse. without towing, you might not see a decrease since yours is currently so bad.

It was me who mentioned that your mileage might be related to winter diesel. If you really are on #1 fuel or a blend, 12 mpg makes sense with 70% city driving. Your salesman shouldn't have told you 17mpg. In that cold air with winter diesel, you *might* get 17 all-highway. City driving will drop that number quite a bit. For comparison, in 75 degree weather on #2 diesel I get about 18 unloaded on the highway (21-ish if it's all flat ground with no wind) and about 15 in the city, depending on how many people cut me off that day . That's lower density air and probably more efficient fuel. I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but there aren't many trucks this size that will get good mileage in the conditions you describe.

Old 03-22-2011, 03:13 PM
Biggziff
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by johnnyballgame
Does anyone have any positve or negative feedback on the 6.2 vs. the diesel. I'm getting 12 MPG on my diesel and I drive 30% highway, 70% city, I have a very light foot and haven't towed anything for 6 months. Somebody prior mentioned that it might be because the diesel up here in Alaska but I don't know what's going on. Regardless, the dealer was claiming I was going to get a minimum of 17MPG and that's a far cry. I gave Ford every opportunity to help me with this issue and while I appluad their willingness to do the exchange of vehicles, they refuse to work with me in any other way and have showed no interest in trying to win me over as a customer...
If you're asking about the 6.2's fuel economy I'd tell you to ask in the 6.2 forum, but I can say that you can expect 15 or so highway and 10-11 city with the 6.2.

The guys with the 6.2 seem to like them, but you'd have to explain what your intended use is. Do you tow or haul anything on a regular basis? The 6.2 needs to spin to make its power and coming from a diesel you may not like the 6.2's power curve.

Old 03-22-2011, 03:51 PM
Byram
Posting Guru

6.2 mileage - I've kept a spreadsheet since my truck was new. I've put 1432 gallons of gas into it. My overall average is about 11.1 mpg. about 1/4 of that is towing fairly or really heavy where I get about 9mpg. I would classify me as 50/50 hwy/city

I have seen straight highway Interstate - going 75mph bring in a peak mileage of 15.74mpg. I tend to see 10.5-12 most days.

Also - my truck has pipe bumpers,rack, full toolbox, 285/17 Goodrich Mud terrains - which adds a good deal of weight.. It weighs in at 8280# - Full of Fuel, Me & 80# dog...

I can say that the 6.2 runs great & I pull in some serious off - road & while more torque is always better this truck can pull very well & I've had a 390ci, 400ci, 460cu, 7.3 (all Standard) and a v-10 Auto...

Old 03-22-2011, 04:19 PM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
OK so here is a factual breakdown of my 2011 F-350 Lariat buying experience. I’ll try to keep it as short as possible but unfortunately it’s longer than I would have liked<o</o
Ø I ordered my truck and was told 6-8 weeks for delivery and it took 10>><o</o
Ø Salesman called me to tell me my truck would be in tomorrow so I went and signed my F-150 away that I sold privately that day<o></o>
Ø Called the salesman the next day and he told me he messed up and meant to tell me next Monday not this one, so I rented a car for a week because they wouldn’t provide me with a loaner<o></o>
Ø During the test drive I immediately noticed the shifting issue and was told the diesel trucks have to break in about 1,000 miles prior to running smoother<o></o>
Ø Took the truck in for service after several hundred miles later because the tranny was still horrible and I was concerned<o></o>
Ø Dealer re-flashed the truck and told me it was fixed<o></o>
Ø I took it back a month later because nothing changed and complained to the service manager who told me he personally road tested it and acknowledged my concern and said they were doing a new flash and that it would fix it. They flashed it again and road tested it and told me that it drives a 100 times better<o></o>
Ø I picked up the vehicle and nothing had changed<o></o>
Ø I dropped it off the next day for an oil change and scheduled another appointment for the tranny. The dealer locked my keys in the truck during the oil change and rather than admitting this and asking me for the electronic key code, I saw them trying to jimmy the lock. I was furious with the manager and they refunded my oil service fee and as a courtesy topped off my DEF fluid.<o></o>
Ø I started the truck to leave and the check engine light was on and they were closing for the day so they told me they would address it at my next service appointment but assured me it couldn’t have been from anything they did with the oil change and def top off.<o></o>
Ø At the next appointment they told me they did another reflash to fix the tranny and that the check engine light came on from the DEF being filled to the brim and that there is a sensor that doesn’t work and Ford is engineering a fix for that and they would call me when Ford found a fix to the issue. They told me 4 wheel drive sounding like a sledge hammer was normal on diesels.<o></o>
Ø I drove the vehicle away with the check engine light on, transmission issues un-resolved and multiple other little issues.<o></o>
Ø I went back to the salesman and told him to work with his management because I was done with the vehicle. I paid $60K for it and they told me they would give me $47K trade in for it and at that point I pursued Ford directly. I went back and forth with Ford until they finally issued me an offer to trade my lemon for any ford or Lincoln vehicle of equal or greater value. I was thrilled until they hit me with the $6K usage. I ordered the same truck but with the 6.2 gas engine and I guess unless I get an attorney I’m just screwed. I hope the gas truck does better than this one.<o></o>
Ø I fault my dealer for much of this because I think they are just incompetent. The main issue I have with Ford is they didn’t step up and take care of me as a customer either. Bottom line, I just don’t understand why I have to pay the $6K but they say it is my state lemon law. Regardless of that, I wish Ford or the dealer would step up and work with me a little. I’m not saying that there shouldn’t be some usage fee, but for all I have been through this just seems excessive.<o></o>
can u tell us what time of year these events took place? there have been two reflashes that have affected tranny preformance.. and another one almost released this week..(well release and pulled back)..

sorry you've had such a poor dealer experience.

sam

Old 03-22-2011, 05:19 PM
MobeyDick
Posting Guru
How many miles a year do you plan on putting on the truck. Up to 15,000 a gasser would have been a better choice. 15,000 to 30,000 it's a toss up, over 30,000 miles the Diesel starts to be more cost efficient!

Old 03-22-2011, 05:47 PM
trevordog88
Freshman User
sounds good

OK, thanks for clearing this mornings issues up. I too have got a lot of valuable info from this forum.

Old 03-23-2011, 12:34 PM
supeRobertduty
Laughing Gas
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Biggziff
Maybe I'm just suspicious by nature, but I smell a troll here....
Yep ,
I Think you might be correct.

Old 03-23-2011, 01:39 PM
ctownson
Senior User
After rereading all this again, I also agree that the dealer seems to be at the center of most issues and not necessarily the truck itself (although I understand the frustration with some of the issues!). Elevating to Ford corporate and following their process is still probably your best bet.

Old 03-23-2011, 02:01 PM
MobeyDick
Posting Guru
OK so here is a factual breakdown of my 2011 F-350 Lariat buying experience. I’ll try to keep it as short as possible but unfortunately it’s longer than I would have liked<O</O
Ø I ordered my truck and was told 6-8 weeks for delivery and it took 10>><O</O
Ø Salesman called me to tell me my truck would be in tomorrow so I went and signed my F-150 away that I sold privately that day<O></O>
Ø Called the salesman the next day and he told me he messed up and meant to tell me next Monday not this one, so I rented a car for a week because they wouldn’t provide me with a loaner<O></O>
Ø During the test drive I immediately noticed the shifting issue and was told the diesel trucks have to break in about 1,000 miles prior to running smoother<O></O>
Ø Took the truck in for service after several hundred miles later because the tranny was still horrible and I was concerned<O></O>
Ø Dealer re-flashed the truck and told me it was fixed<O></O>
Ø I took it back a month later because nothing changed and complained to the service manager who told me he personally road tested it and acknowledged my concern and said they were doing a new flash and that it would fix it. They flashed it again and road tested it and told me that it drives a 100 times better<O></O>
Ø I picked up the vehicle and nothing had changed<O></O>
Ø I dropped it off the next day for an oil change and scheduled another appointment for the tranny. The dealer locked my keys in the truck during the oil change and rather than admitting this and asking me for the electronic key code, I saw them trying to jimmy the lock. I was furious with the manager and they refunded my oil service fee and as a courtesy topped off my DEF fluid.<O></O>
Ø I started the truck to leave and the check engine light was on and they were closing for the day so they told me they would address it at my next service appointment but assured me it couldn’t have been from anything they did with the oil change and def top off.<O></O>
Ø At the next appointment they told me they did another reflash to fix the tranny and that the check engine light came on from the DEF being filled to the brim and that there is a sensor that doesn’t work and Ford is engineering a fix for that and they would call me when Ford found a fix to the issue. They told me 4 wheel drive sounding like a sledge hammer was normal on diesels.<O></O>
Ø I drove the vehicle away with the check engine light on, transmission issues un-resolved and multiple other little issues.<O></O>
Ø I went back to the salesman and told him to work with his management because I was done with the vehicle. I paid $60K for it and they told me they would give me $47K trade in for it and at that point I pursued Ford directly. I went back and forth with Ford until they finally issued me an offer to trade my lemon for any ford or Lincoln vehicle of equal or greater value. I was thrilled until they hit me with the $6K usage. I ordered the same truck but with the 6.2 gas engine and I guess unless I get an attorney I’m just screwed. I hope the gas truck does better than this one.<O></O>
Ø I fault my dealer for much of this because I think they are just incompetent. The main issue I have with Ford is they didn’t step up and take care of me as a customer either. Bottom line, I just don’t understand why I have to pay the $6K but they say it is my state lemon law. Regardless of that, I wish Ford or the dealer would step up and work with me a little. I’m not saying that there shouldn’t be some usage fee, but for all I have been through this just seems excessive.<O></O>
That right there tells me you need to switch dealers. If their not smart enough to cut a key to open the look door. Their not too bright!

Quick Reply: MY 6.7 Diesel NIGHTMARE