Missouri Chapter Join Chapter , Leader:77&79F250

August 2021 Mo chapter Chat and BS Thread.

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2021, 09:10 PM
77&79F250
Moderator & parts seller
Received 3,281 Likes on 2,438 Posts
August 2021 Mo chapter Chat and BS Thread.

Well to get this months chat and BS thread going, lets throw the coals to it. No not really, it is hot enough to make a chicken on a hot tin roof jump off. So kick back, turn up the a/c and get your read on. A iced tea in hand, some fast internet and relax inside.

So did you all know that August is the eighth month of the Gregorian calendar? It was named for the first Roman emperor, Augustus Caesar, in 8 BC. But some folks think the meaning of August comes from that fact that Augustus is Latin and means “the venerable one” or “the great one.” (Depends on where you get your info). It was the title given to the first Roman emperor, Gaius Caesar. Its original name was Sextilus, Latin for “sixth month,” indicating its position in the early Roman calendar.

Who knew that August 1 is National Girlfriends Day?
AUGUST 13: INTERNATIONAL LEFT HANDERS DAY.

AUGUST 19: NATIONAL AVIATION DAY. Franklin Delano Roosevelt laid out the ultimate burn by declaring Orville Wright's birthday National Aviation Day. Why he chose to honor Orville over Wilbur in 1939 is a mystery to historians, but we think National Aviation Day is a great time to start preposterous rumors based on wild speculation, i.e. maybe Wilbur Wright was a figment of Orville’s imagination. It could also have had something to do with the fact that Orville was still alive when FDR made the day official ... and Wilbur was not.

Certain meteor showers take place in August. The Kappa Cygnids take place in August, with the dates varying each year. The Alpha Capricornids meteor shower takes place as early as July 10 and ends at around August 10, and the Southern Delta Aquariids take place from mid-July to mid-August, with the peak usually around July 28–29. The Perseids, a major meteor shower, typically takes place between July 17 and August 24, with the days of the peak varying yearly. The star cluster of Messier 30 is best observed around August.Peridot and Spinel and maybe even Onyx (depends on where you get your info), are the birthstones of those born in August. Peridot is a semi-precious olive or lime-green stone found in lava flows and veins from the United States to Finland and Pakistan, among others. Found in shades of pink, red, blue, violet and lavender, Spinel is a more recent addition to the August birthstones.

August’s Full Moon is known as the Sturgeon Moon, named after a huge freshwater fish that can be found in great numbers in August. Because August is harvesting season in the Northern Hemisphere, August’s Full Moon is also called Grain Moon, Fruit Moon, and Barley Moon.

Zodiac Signs in August Leo (Lion): July 23August 22 Virgo (Virgin): August 23September 22

FOLKLORE FOR THE SEASON

• ​​​As August, so February.
  • Observe on what day in August the first heavy fog occurs, and expect a hard frost on the same day in October.
  • If the first week of August is unusually warm, The winter will be white and long.
  • So many August fogs, so many winter mists.
  • When it rains in August, It raises honey and wine.

Old 07-31-2021, 08:52 AM
whiskey runner
Lead Driver
Received 190 Likes on 174 Posts
good morning missouri.. another month must of gone by... i looked at my piggy bank and the great eagle has done already crapped into it...

well it looks like a good day to just sit on the spring and sip cool water all day...... if you dont have a spring ya'll are welcome to come down and share mine..

Attached Images  
The following 3 users liked this post by whiskey runner:
Old 07-31-2021, 03:40 PM
earthquake68
Hotshot
Received 256 Likes on 193 Posts
Afternoon Everyone!

I got the brakes bled on EQ, the trailer down off the jacks and everything cleaned up and put away. We're going to spectate at the fair show in Springfield tonight. It'll be a nice change to just watch a show for a change. (let's hope I don't get put to work. it's happened before)

The following users liked this post:
Old 07-31-2021, 04:46 PM
77&79F250
Moderator & parts seller
Alan you better wear shorts, flip flops and hid in the back of the crowd or you are going to be fixing someone's broke monster truck before the night is over.

Old 07-31-2021, 10:48 PM
earthquake68
Hotshot
Received 256 Likes on 193 Posts
We made it home. I didn't have to fix anything, but a friend that is going to change the body on his truck, asked me to measure a similar body on a truck that was there tonight, so I DID have to go in to the pits after the show with a tape measure, but that was about the extent of the "work" I was asked to do. It was nice to come home clean and in about 30 minutes. That doesn't happen very often. ....like, ....never.

Old 08-01-2021, 07:16 AM
bjmayberry2
Lead Driver
Received 543 Likes on 349 Posts
Morning All! Not much happening on the East side today. SIL has a boat and wants to go out and burn up some fuel. Not sure if the kids are going as well. If they go they'll probably bring out the jet ski. We'll see how it goes.

Alan sounds like you had a relaxing evening for a change.

Old 08-01-2021, 07:27 AM
77&79F250
Moderator & parts seller
Morning to you all, well I am having a local neighbor kid lend me a hand cleaning up around the shop and the house. I hope it stays cool weather for a while.

Old 08-01-2021, 09:37 AM
whiskey runner
Lead Driver
good morning missouri.. hope everyone is dry this morning.. at about 0300 it came a fairly good rain and now it is still a bit wet out there...

glad you had a easy night alan and got to watch the show ..

rich i cant afford to be hiring folks these days.. everyone around here thinks they are worth 25-50 a hour.. i am not even worth that ... .. HA HA HA HA ..

Old 08-01-2021, 10:43 AM
Grems4ever
Lead Driver
Received 153 Likes on 122 Posts
Morning all.

Today would have been Dad's 79th birthday but we're not making much of it for Mom's sake. I wish I could be up and as busy as some of y'all, but the heat and humidity keeps shutting me down before I can even get started good on anything. Thank goodness for air conditioning...

The idea of retiring and just migrating with the seasons is really beginning to appeal to me, but reality keeps throwing ice water on that idea.

Old 08-01-2021, 02:15 PM
whiskey runner
Lead Driver
dave following the weather when retired was my idea when i built the bus.. but being retired is not what i expected for sure.. ha ha ha ha .. i still keep hoping that someday i may get to do it..

Old 08-01-2021, 02:32 PM
1OldFordMan
Logistics Pro

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by whiskey runner
good morning missouri.. hope everyone is dry this morning.. at about 0300 it came a fairly good rain and now it is still a bit wet out there...

glad you had a easy night alan and got to watch the show ..

rich I cant afford to be hiring folks these days.. everyone around here thinks they are worth 25-50 a hour.. I am not even worth that ... .. HA HA HA HA ..

R.C. - I'd be HAPPY to ONLY pay that! Cheapest place I can find around here is $110.00/hr. & MOST are $125.00!!

Old 08-01-2021, 07:37 PM
97 Mountain Man
Fleet Mechanic
Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by Grems4ever
Morning all.

Today would have been Dad's 79th birthday but we're not making much of it for Mom's sake. I wish I could be up and as busy as some of y'all, but the heat and humidity keeps shutting me down before I can even get started good on anything. Thank goodness for air conditioning...

The idea of retiring and just migrating with the seasons is really beginning to appeal to me, but reality keeps throwing ice water on that idea.
hear you on the heat & humidity. I need to put brakes on my truck. I was thinking I would finally get a chance yesterday but the 85% humidity at 8:00 yesterday morning made it a no for me. Then about 2:30-3:00 Saturday afternoon the skys opened up.

Old 08-01-2021, 10:07 PM
Docj2006
Cross-Country
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New rig

Evening gents. Well, I had a productive day spending money yesterday. We have been needing something to haul all 4 kids in that was more comfortable than my supercab f150 or the wife's cx9. I wanted something that could tow a trailer and fit all our gear. And being a ford guy and bigger always being best, u went looking for an excursion. I've looked for the past 2 years but just never could pull the trigger on one. We drove to Bentonville yesterday and after 5 HOURS at the dealership with 4 hot kids and a very gracious wife, I brought home a decently nice truck. Needs some cleaning up and small repairs inside. Eventually it will need the drivetrain, as the mileage is getting up there, but for now it should fit the bill. Now if I can just get it as high as Wicked Sickness, maybe I can make it fly like Alan! Or not..........!

Old 08-02-2021, 07:24 AM
whiskey runner
Lead Driver
good morning missouri.. pat .. do you mean just general unskilled yard labor is that high up there??...
i know nowadays most mechanics..opps i mean technicians .. get paid 75-100.00 a hour .. not me of course that is just for the guys who know what they are doing.. ha ha ha ha ha .. i did charge 25-50 a hour back before i retired.. now most people probably think that if i charged half of that... i would be over paid.. ha ha ha ha ..

Old 08-02-2021, 07:44 AM
77&79F250
Moderator & parts seller
Morning to all, I was busy yesterday (out in the heat) all day cleaning up round the shop and house. Moving stuff, mowing, weed wacking. Working on a project or 2. The Bronco axle plans got changed, so I reloaded that axle in the back of my truck. Thankfully it is almost bare (no axles, R&P, spider gears, spindles, hub/rotors, brake calipers) so that was not to bad. Al those parts are loose and in another box, so at least getting the axle housing in the back was not that bad. It is still going to the son in laws buddy for a complete overhaul.

Docj nice big ride, I do not see a powerstroke badge so it must be gas?

RC when I win the lottery I will pay you 100 an hour for help and I will even send my chauffeur to come get you and bring you up. That way you can set back, look around, enjoy the a/c and drink iced tea. But 1st I have to win the lottery...

Everyone stay cool as ya can and stay hydrated.

Quick Reply: August 2021 Mo chapter Chat and BS Thread.