1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

'93 E350 Class C - fuel pump/ignition module/vapor lock?

Old 03-20-2011, 09:10 AM
rgnprof
Cross-Country
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'93 E350 Class C - fuel pump/ignition module/vapor lock?

My first post here and my first Ford since a mid '90s Taurus. I have a '93 Ford E350, 460 on a Class C. I have had this problem occur twice and I've only had the coach since Aug/10. I was heading to a campground and the coach drove great - for 150 miles. I pulled into town and slowed down and the power cut out - no lurching etc., just died - and I coasted off the highway into a parking lot. I waited about 10 minutes, powered the fuel pump on and off several times and I could clearly hear it running when I turned on the key, and then started it up and drove into town and it did the same thing in about a mile or 2. This time I let it cool down for about 20-30 minutes - started right up and I drove to a gas station and filled up, about 1/2 tank. Drove it the rest of the way to the campground w/o incident. Did the same thing on me last August - both times it was hot - 90's last year, mid 80's yesterday.

I have read thru fuel pump issues, fuel pressure regulator problems and bad ignition control modules that overheat. I think I am going to change the fuel pump for sure - almost positive this is the original pump (coach has 58,000 miles). I had already noticed the pump noise - a loud whirring when the coach idles. I will probably get a new ignition control module as well, and from my research I need the gray one - I think. It currently has a gray one installed on the fender wall behind the battery.

Any other suggestions? I have been looking at fuel pumps, and fuel pump assemblies and I'm not sure what to get? Do I just replace the pump? Also, there seems to be a disagreement about going back with a Ford one, or going aftermarket - as in Ford never did quite get this right and some other manufacturer's pumps are actually better. Any recommendations? I would like to do what I can to avoid repeating this job in a few months...

Thanks for reading.
Ryan

Old 03-21-2011, 03:01 PM
gasman6674
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Mine shut off intermentantly and it was the engine computer shutting off the ingnition. I thought I was having transmission issues. Unless you just want to throw parts at it you might want to invest in diagnois time with a good shop. PS had to send my unit out and have it rebuilt as they are no longer availible from Ford and most parts stores didnt have them.

Good Luck

Last edited by gasman6674; 03-21-2011 at 03:02 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-23-2011, 09:02 AM
subford
Fleet Owner
Received 223 Likes on 175 Posts
When it dies, turn the key on a time or two and if you can hear the fuel pump. If you do hear it and it does not start then I would say it is an Ignition problem.

My guess is you have a bad PIP sensor mounted on the stator inside the distributor.
Because slowing down is not going to change how the fuel delivery system works and you will have a lot more heat in the engine compartment.

So I would say it is one of two items that are bad, PIP sensor or the Gray ICM.
You do have in 1993 a push start Ignition system so it does use the Gray ICM.
Because that it is heat related you will not get a good test at an auto parts store on the ICM.

Because it is an RV i would not want to have it die in the middle of no place so I would buy a rebuilt distributor and a new stator from a parts store and take the rebuilt distributor apart and replace the stator. About 70% of the time a rebuilt distributor will have a bad PIP sensor in it and it will do what yours is doing now.

I know of poster on here that have got four distributors in a row with bad PIP sensors and then the poster replaced the stator in the last one and it fixed his problem.

When they rebuilt the distributor if the PIP sensor tests good they will not replace it and the problem is most do not show bad until they get hot after a few miles. Most distributors are replace for the bad PIP sensor and they do not replace it when they rework it if it tests good.

Old 03-26-2012, 02:25 PM
iremain69
New User
SAME THING!!!

So I have a 93 Four Winds Class C and have the EXACT same issues as rgnprof. Did anyone find a definite solution? I have taken trips from 400 miles to 10,000 mile tours. It happens every time with no constant involved...low gas , high grade gas , usually warmer conditions etc.... Just went from ATL - Austin and back and did not happen until I was 100 miles from Atl on the way back! I have replaced distibutor , ignition module , and I hear the fuel pump every time I turn the key no matter if its running fine or sitting on side of the road. Only fix seems to be 30 mins on side of highway. Not about to spend a ton of money on a new engine computer especially just guessing. Anybody have anything???? Much appreciated

Old 03-26-2012, 02:53 PM
rgnprof
Cross-Country
A new Motorcraft fuel pump fixed my problem. My fuel pump was running as well, but I found so much online information about a 'mid 90's Ford fuel pump problem...', that I just decided to change it out. I bought the whole Motorcraft assembly online and did it myself. Pretty straightforward job actually - just get all the fuel out of the tank.

Haven't had the problem since....

ryan

Old 03-26-2012, 02:54 PM
95e150CW
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My 460 equipped F350 would do the same thing. I eventually bought a 20 dollar code puller, and next time it happened i pulled the codes. It was a bad PIP.

Old 03-26-2012, 03:24 PM
iremain69
New User
code puller sounds like it could help since it would read fine if I took it to a shop when I cant duplicate the issue. I just had new distributor put in and they said it has new pip so not real sure what to do next.....fuel pump? Power Control Module? Hate guessing throwing money away but can not afford to risk this before I leave again in 2 weeks

Old 03-26-2012, 08:00 PM
subford
Fleet Owner
When the PIP sensor does it it seems to happen in about 30-50 miles.
Sounds like low fuel pressure more than likely the pump is bad.

You could always tape a fuel pressure gauge to the outside mirror, I have does this before with a class "C".
You could hook a LED up to the distributor plug (PIP wire) or at the ICM then when it quits you can see if the LED flashes as you crank it. If it flashes the PIP is a good one. If it does flash then you could try a NOID light on one of the injectors. If it does not flash it would be the computer. But if it is the computer most of the time the fuel pump will run all the time the key is on with the engine not running. This is because the clock has stopped in the computer. Maybe a bad crystal or cap.

Old 03-26-2012, 08:15 PM
iremain69
New User
Thanks alot for the info , i will try all of that. Its just hard that when i leave im gone for weeks and really wish I could find the problem at home rather than on the road in the middle of nowhere at the mercy of whoever I can find. But yes it has never happened within 50-60 miles. It happens days or weeks into the trip and happens anywhere from a 300 mile drive to a 700 mile. So random

Old 03-26-2012, 08:32 PM
subford
Fleet Owner
This is the LED that I all ways have with me if I have PIP problems.

/

Old 03-26-2012, 08:41 PM
iremain69
New User
interesting...thanks

Old 07-02-2012, 06:35 AM
hughes11
New User
We are having the same problem with our 93 E350 Jamboree Searcher. I was leaning towards a fuel issue since changing the fuel filter seemed to fix it the first couple of times but I'm now thinking it may have been letting it cool that fixed it instead. I haven't checked the fuel pressure when it happens but it seems to have plenty of pressure when I pull the line off the back side of the filter. This past weekend we left on a 260 mile trip. We made it about 90 miles and it backfired once and shut off. I jumped out and changed the fuel filter but it still wouldn't start. We called for a tow but by the time the tow service got there it cranked up and ran fine. We changed the ignition module and made it the rest of the way with no problem. On the return trip it ran fine for about 75 miles and then I could feel it losing power so I stopped and let it cool for 10 or 15 minutes and kept going. It went another 50 miles or so then shut off and we had to let it cool for about 45 minutes. We finally made it home after about 3 stops.

Do you think it could be the fuel pump even though the pump runs and seems to have plenty of pressure when it shuts down? What about the ignition coil?

Thanks,
Johnny

Old 07-02-2012, 10:58 AM
forddriverdad
New User
I have same chassis Johnny , have never had problem with engine stopping but fuel pump was replaced a few years ago for rust on low pressure line.

I have a picture of what top of tank hole looks like on this link

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/7...ing-bolts.html

Old 07-30-2013, 08:16 PM
RonsRV
New User
6 Ford E350, 460/7.5L Jamboree FUEL STARVATION?

I have the same problem with my 96 Ford E350, 460/7.5L Jamboree Class C 150000 miles. I have had this problem occur several times most recently moving from NC to NY, the vehicle just slows down, and the power cuts out as if it has (FUEL STARVATION) and I coast off onto the shoulder or off an exit. I have found that when I either change the gas filter or just remove the line at the filter to relieve the pressure it will start right up and go no problem? Fuel tank removed, no dirt, grime, water, nothing in the tank (CLEAN) fuel pump sock? Don’t know, removed it, it was looking a bit sick.
I open to suggestion as to what it might be if you’ve had this issue with mid 90s E350 Super Duty.

Thanks

Originally Posted by rgnprof
My first post here and my first Ford since a mid '90s Taurus. I have a '93 Ford E350, 460 on a Class C. I have had this problem occur twice and I've only had the coach since Aug/10. I was heading to a campground and the coach drove great - for 150 miles. I pulled into town and slowed down and the power cut out - no lurching etc., just died - and I coasted off the highway into a parking lot. I waited about 10 minutes, powered the fuel pump on and off several times and I could clearly hear it running when I turned on the key, and then started it up and drove into town and it did the same thing in about a mile or 2. This time I let it cool down for about 20-30 minutes - started right up and I drove to a gas station and filled up, about 1/2 tank. Drove it the rest of the way to the campground w/o incident. Did the same thing on me last August - both times it was hot - 90's last year, mid 80's yesterday.

I have read thru fuel pump issues, fuel pressure regulator problems and bad ignition control modules that overheat. I think I am going to change the fuel pump for sure - almost positive this is the original pump (coach has 58,000 miles). I had already noticed the pump noise - a loud whirring when the coach idles. I will probably get a new ignition control module as well, and from my research I need the gray one - I think. It currently has a gray one installed on the fender wall behind the battery.

Any other suggestions? I have been looking at fuel pumps, and fuel pump assemblies and I'm not sure what to get? Do I just replace the pump? Also, there seems to be a disagreement about going back with a Ford one, or going aftermarket - as in Ford never did quite get this right and some other manufacturer's pumps are actually better. Any recommendations? I would like to do what I can to avoid repeating this job in a few months...

Thanks for reading.
Ryan

Old 07-31-2013, 06:23 AM
subford
Fleet Owner
Ron,
I think you need to check the codes in CM and see what they say.
You might also put a fuel gauge on it while driving it and see what the fuel pressure does when it happens.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: '93 E350 Class C - fuel pump/ignition module/vapor lock?