1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

Dead water temp gauge

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2011, 07:25 AM
cloead1
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dead water temp gauge

Read a couple threads on here but can't find much information..

Water temp gauge on my '96 e250 4.9L straight 6 hasn't worked since i got the van.

Figured it was the temp sensor. Replaced that yesterday, still no change.

Does anyone know how I could go about testing the gauge itself?

Is there another sender/sensor that feeds the gauge?

Thanks in advance

Old 03-18-2011, 04:19 PM
joshofalltrades
Postmaster
to test the gage and wiring together, i like to connect one side of a test light to the sender wire, and the other end to a ground. the gage should show a reading somewhere in the mid-range, or ground the wire directly and the reading should be the upper limit of the gage.
if this fails, remove the instrument cluster, attach a hot lead to one of the 2 posts on the gage, and repeat the above procedure using the other post of the gage instead of the sender wire.

Old 03-18-2011, 09:35 PM
cloead1
New User
Originally Posted by joshofalltrades
to test the gage and wiring together, i like to connect one side of a test light to the sender wire, and the other end to a ground. the gage should show a reading somewhere in the mid-range, or ground the wire directly and the reading should be the upper limit of the gage.
if this fails, remove the instrument cluster, attach a hot lead to one of the 2 posts on the gage, and repeat the above procedure using the other post of the gage instead of the sender wire.
today i put a meter across the two pins in the plug that attaches to the sender.. read 4.8 volts when the truck is on

when you say put a test light, could i just use a piece of wire? test light is long gone :/ and which wire.. theres two in the plug, just try both i'm assuming.

im starting to think the gauge itself is bad.

Old 03-20-2011, 05:30 PM
joshofalltrades
Postmaster
"test light is long gone" - attach wires to ANY 12v light bulb and you have a test light, doesn't matter if its an old taillight socket, or simply solder on a bulb. the reasons we prefer it over just wire is 1) feedback 2) safety - you aren't likely to blow any circuits or electronics with a single light bulb, whereas a straight wire will blow things.
i was thinking it was an old-style 1-wire sender, in which case it would be grounded to the engine block. IIRC, your 2-wire sender should be able to be minipulated by simply shorting the 2 pins of its wire harness with your test light (or wire if nothing else is available), and doing so should cause the gage to read at its upper limit. however, i'm not dead sure on that, it could be that 1 wire goes to the gage and the other to the computer, so try it both ways, and something should have the gage spike when you ground it.

Old 03-20-2011, 09:11 PM
cloead1
New User
yeah i shorted the two pins of the plug together with a piece of wire and the gauge didn't move. i'll try messing around with a test light tomorrow after work and will post back with results. i think i read that the ECU gets its water temp signal from a different sender. i guess it doesnt really matter if the gauge works or not. :/

Old 03-20-2011, 11:58 PM
joshofalltrades
Postmaster
seeing that your truck is a 96, simply plug in your OBD2 code scanner, go into the data stream side of things, and ask it what the coolant temp is, if the sensor for the computer is bad, you'll either get a reading of -40 or somewhere upwards of 260 (exact reading depends on current voltage), maybe even unplug the sensor with the computer on it to be sure if thats the gage sensor or the computer sensor

Old 03-21-2011, 12:44 AM
joshofalltrades
Postmaster
seeing that your truck is a 96, simply plug in your OBD2 code scanner, go into the data stream side of things, and ask it what the coolant temp is, if the sensor for the computer is bad, you'll either get a reading of -40 or somewhere upwards of 260 (exact reading depends on current voltage), maybe even unplug the sensor with the computer on it to be sure if thats the gage sensor or the computer sensor

Old 03-21-2011, 06:53 AM
cloead1
New User
Originally Posted by joshofalltrades

i tried that.. i think my obd2 scanner is too cheap. doesnt show coolant temp in there. if i was on good terms with that one ex i could use her $2500 snap on obd2 scanner rofl.

i'll mess around with a test light tonight and see what i find. going to try grounding both pins of the connector and then try shorting them together again. need to wait till someone gets home to watch the gauge for me.

Old 03-21-2011, 08:08 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Received 1,391 Likes on 1,100 Posts
Having gone through this almost exact same situation on a '97 E250 I learned the hard way it requires replacing the entire gauge cluster. Its vitally important to get the same year as there it does make a huge difference.

With too much time on my hands I did learn these clusters can be "repaired" but it still requires another gauge cluster only this time within a year or so of original manufacture. It ain't easy but not impossible and requires a bit of time not to mention patience.

I'll save y'all the details what happens when the wrong year and fuel type clusters in interchanged!

Old 03-21-2011, 08:11 AM
cloead1
New User
Originally Posted by JWA
Having gone through this almost exact same situation on a '97 E250 I learned the hard way it requires replacing the entire gauge cluster. Its vitally important to get the same year as there it does make a huge difference.

With too much time on my hands I did learn these clusters can be "repaired" but it still requires another gauge cluster only this time within a year or so of original manufacture. It ain't easy but not impossible and requires a bit of time not to mention patience.

I'll save y'all the details what happens when the wrong year and fuel type clusters in interchanged!
When I was at Pull-A-Part yesterday I tried taking a gauge cluster out of another van. So year is very important, but what about engine? IE, I have a 96 E250 with the 4.9L 6, do I need the cluster out of another '96 6 cyl van?

Also.. when removing the cluster. What the heck is that little string type thing that I couldn't figure out how to remove without breaking it? It goes into the bottom of the cluster and then is looped over something under the dash. Any tips?

Old 03-21-2011, 08:23 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Wow----you're in for a treat my friend! LOL

That little string thing is the shift lever indicator attaching to a little hook on the shift tube inside the column--it pulls the needle as you move from P>R>N>D>2>1 ect. Typically you need to remove the column shroud.

What I did was to take the clusters apart and simply transfer the green flexible circuit board AND the little hard circuit board from the non-working cluster over to the new-to-you one. Its not that difficult but does require a lot of careful handling to avoid damaging these parts.

There is a way to configure the odometer on the new-to-you cluster so its accurate mileage wise but that takes a lot of trial and error. Honestly I'd suggest just noting somewhere the existing mileage visible so you can calculate the real total miles driven. Its far far easier this way unless (like me) you're **** about such minor things.

Hope this even begins to help!

Old 03-21-2011, 08:28 AM
cloead1
New User
Originally Posted by JWA
Wow----you're in for a treat my friend! LOL

That little string thing is the shift lever indicator attaching to a little hook on the shift tube inside the column--it pulls the needle as you move from P>R>N>D>2>1 ect. Typically you need to remove the column shroud.

What I did was to take the clusters apart and simply transfer the green flexible circuit board AND the little hard circuit board from the non-working cluster over to the new-to-you one. Its not that difficult but does require a lot of careful handling to avoid damaging these parts.

There is a way to configure the odometer on the new-to-you cluster so its accurate mileage wise but that takes a lot of trial and error. Honestly I'd suggest just noting somewhere the existing mileage visible so you can calculate the real total miles driven. Its far far easier this way unless (like me) you're **** about such minor things.

Hope this even begins to help!
Ahhh that makes sense. So in the yard I'll just cut the string off the one I'm taking, and then when I get to my van I can take the cluster apart so I can swap the part from the old cluster into the "new".

And yes I don't really care about the mileage. I am hoping whichever one I get has less than 180k miles so I can pretend in my head that I have lower miles :rofl: :rofl: Wish there was a way I could check in the yard how many miles they have

Old 03-22-2011, 05:16 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
If you can simply unhook that string you'd be better off---might make things easier and be one less thing you'll have to transfer or repair.

Instead of wandering a self-serve yard why not hit FleaBay or search the outfit known as LKQ Online? They both have skads of available parts possbily the exact year of your current van. I've used them both to great success; point, click and wait for the part to arrive. They'll typically have generous return/exchange policies so not much of a down side seeking parts that way.

As much as I once enjoyed tromping around a muddy scrap yard fighting every other searcher for sometimes the same thing as me once the internet became so easy to find and purchase I loathe those days now!

Old 03-22-2011, 07:17 AM
cloead1
New User
Originally Posted by JWA
Instead of wandering a self-serve yard why not hit FleaBay or search the outfit known as LKQ Online? They both have skads of available parts possbily the exact year of your current van. I've used them both to great success; point, click and wait for the part to arrive. They'll typically have generous return/exchange policies so not much of a down side seeking parts that way.

As much as I once enjoyed tromping around a muddy scrap yard fighting every other searcher for sometimes the same thing as me once the internet became so easy to find and purchase I loathe those days now!
A few reasons really... for one you can't really be sure what you are getting, especially when dealing with salvage yards online. They seem to be in the stone age when it comes to dealing with online orders. Second is price. I looked online for gauge clusters, and they are all $50-$100+ At pull a part a gauge cluster is $20 regardless of what vehicle it comes from. And then I can verify year, engine, etc myself.

Old 03-22-2011, 08:44 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Gotta disagree completely there Mr Cloead! The same issues you think you'll find online are even more present with any salvage yard. In my experience those online tend to be far more accurate with what they actually have due computerized inventories that are updated if an item sells.

I've yet to pay more than $50 for a working used gauge cluster AND IF the part doesn't work its 100% returnable for exchange or refund. Maybe in your area suitable year Econolines are plentiful but here locally even the pre-92's are scarce.

Not trying to sway you towards my way but its just much easier to hunt, click and wait for UPS than repeat to any yard hoping your part is there.