for those worried about reactors in Japan... - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

for those worried about reactors in Japan...

Old 03-14-2011, 06:01 PM
Posting Guru

zxwut? has a good reputation on FTE.zxwut? has a good reputation on FTE.
for those worried about reactors in Japan...

I'm getting a little tired of listening to the talk on the news of "exploding" reactors and nuclear fallout. If you want to listen to misinformation and fearmongering, continue to listen to the media. For us that understand nuclear theory and reactor design, it's not a good situation, but there is no fear of any catastrophe. Here's is a link that might give more understanding into the issue.

Fukushima Nuclear Accident – a simple and accurate explanation BraveNewClimate
Old 03-14-2011, 07:30 PM

FTE Herman has a superb reputationFTE Herman has a superb reputationFTE Herman has a superb reputationFTE Herman has a superb reputationFTE Herman has a superb reputationFTE Herman has a superb reputationFTE Herman has a superb reputationFTE Herman has a superb reputationFTE Herman has a superb reputationFTE Herman has a superb reputationFTE Herman has a superb reputation
I just wish everyone had the same knowledge. Far too often, people are lead down a path someone else want to lead them, simply by manufacturing the story with the details as such.
Old 03-14-2011, 07:33 PM

FTE Herman has a superb reputationFTE Herman has a superb reputationFTE Herman has a superb reputationFTE Herman has a superb reputationFTE Herman has a superb reputationFTE Herman has a superb reputationFTE Herman has a superb reputationFTE Herman has a superb reputationFTE Herman has a superb reputationFTE Herman has a superb reputationFTE Herman has a superb reputation
On another note, some of the people I work with, who are reasonably educated, proclaimed: "But the plant is releasing radioactive iodine" and then later "Now its Cesium". I said in reply: do you know the half life of those isotopes? They said 'no'. I said: go look it up and then get back to me...
Old 03-14-2011, 07:46 PM
Post Fiend

Old93junk has a superb reputationOld93junk has a superb reputationOld93junk has a superb reputationOld93junk has a superb reputationOld93junk has a superb reputationOld93junk has a superb reputationOld93junk has a superb reputationOld93junk has a superb reputationOld93junk has a superb reputationOld93junk has a superb reputationOld93junk has a superb reputation
Apparently,..........at Chernobyl, the Soviets forgot to put a lid on their reactor.
Old 03-14-2011, 07:51 PM

Action4478 has a superb reputationAction4478 has a superb reputationAction4478 has a superb reputationAction4478 has a superb reputationAction4478 has a superb reputationAction4478 has a superb reputationAction4478 has a superb reputationAction4478 has a superb reputationAction4478 has a superb reputationAction4478 has a superb reputationAction4478 has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by FTE Herman View Post
I just wish everyone had the same knowledge. Far too often, people are lead down a path someone else want to lead them, simply by manufacturing the story with the details as such.
Doesn't that belong with the 30 foot "wall " of water ?..

Reporters like to say wall of water for some reason . As bad as it was , it looked like a wave to me ...
Old 03-14-2011, 07:59 PM
Postmaster

19fifty4 has much to be proud of19fifty4 has much to be proud of19fifty4 has much to be proud of19fifty4 has much to be proud of19fifty4 has much to be proud of19fifty4 has much to be proud of19fifty4 has much to be proud of19fifty4 has much to be proud of19fifty4 has much to be proud of
That's good information and worth taking a few minutes to read. Thanks for sharing. I encourage the guys that check out this thread to follow thru and read the article. Well worth it.
Old 03-14-2011, 08:09 PM
Post Fiend

F350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old93junk View Post
Apparently,..........at Chernobyl, the Soviets forgot to put a lid on their reactor.
And therein lies the real problem. The "radioactive steam" being hyped by the media isn't going to lead to the end of the world, (but it might cause a run on potassium iodine tablets). If a new type of problem develops, the focus will be on trying to understand it and react to it, not report what's going on.

The way we learn about failure prevention at nuclear facilites is by accidents. No one had ever blown the roof off a reactor before Chernobyl (to my knowledge). It also makes you wonder about nuclear reactors in some semi-third world countries. If they suffer some sort of disaster, I really doubt their procedures and standards are up to par with the Japanese.
Old 03-14-2011, 08:16 PM

Action4478 has a superb reputationAction4478 has a superb reputationAction4478 has a superb reputationAction4478 has a superb reputationAction4478 has a superb reputationAction4478 has a superb reputationAction4478 has a superb reputationAction4478 has a superb reputationAction4478 has a superb reputationAction4478 has a superb reputationAction4478 has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by F350-6 View Post
And therein lies the real problem. The "radioactive steam" being hyped by the media isn't going to lead to the end of the world, (but it might cause a run on potassium iodine tablets). If a new type of problem develops, the focus will be on trying to understand it and react to it, not report what's going on.

The way we learn about failure prevention at nuclear facilites is by accidents. No one had ever blown the roof off a reactor before Chernobyl (to my knowledge). It also makes you wonder about nuclear reactors in some semi-third world countries. If they suffer some sort of disaster, I really doubt their procedures and standards are up to par with the Japanese.
Won't the media just use the limited info to scare everyone out of using the most (to date ) efficient way to produce energy ..?
Old 03-14-2011, 08:36 PM
Post Fiend

F350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Action4478 View Post
Won't the media just use the limited info to scare everyone out of using the most (to date ) efficient way to produce energy ..?
No. If a real catastrophe happens, they will have an honest to God news story they can report on for a couple of days.

After that they'll look for a different angle since they don't have a "better" alternative to promote. Instead I'd look for them to go on a which hunt and point fingers on whom to blame.

Edit: Never mind. I forgot about wind and solar energy. Nuclear is so last decade and a threat to us all. Renewable energy is the way to go.
Old 03-14-2011, 09:03 PM
Senior User

bulldogchief has a good reputation on FTE.bulldogchief has a good reputation on FTE.bulldogchief has a good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zxwut? View Post
I'm getting a little tired of listening to the talk on the news of "exploding" reactors and nuclear fallout. If you want to listen to misinformation and fearmongering, continue to listen to the media. For us that understand nuclear theory and reactor design, it's not a good situation, but there is no fear of any catastrophe. Here's is a link that might give more understanding into the issue.

Fukushima Nuclear Accident a simple and accurate explanation BraveNewClimate
Yep, I knew alot of this already...I feel the same way about the reports of "cell phone radiation causing cancerous tumors in the brain" - I'm an electronics technician, been a tech for over 20 years...the RF radiation emanating from a cell phone via its antenna is so miniscule in power, there is no danger...it is not ionizing radiation and therefore will not cause cancerous tumors in the brain...you are exposed to more radiation in an X-ray machine than using your cell phone...but the media keep publishing these "scientific studies" and fanning the flames of paranoia...same thing with vaccines and autism, there is NO LINK.
Old 03-14-2011, 09:14 PM
Post Fiend

Old93junk has a superb reputationOld93junk has a superb reputationOld93junk has a superb reputationOld93junk has a superb reputationOld93junk has a superb reputationOld93junk has a superb reputationOld93junk has a superb reputationOld93junk has a superb reputationOld93junk has a superb reputationOld93junk has a superb reputationOld93junk has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by F350-6 View Post

The Russians were far from stupid about the theory or the engineering............but in the old Soviet system, production and numbers, trumped safety and long term function any day of the week. Folks who said, "go slow, do it right" got to manage the next Siberian project.
I would be REALLY worried about the safety protocols and design flaws in those third world country reactors.
It would appear the US designed, Japanese managed reactors are making the best out of a horrible situation, and the reality is far from the lamestream media version.
Old 03-14-2011, 10:02 PM
Posting Guru

VikingBabe has a good reputation on FTE.VikingBabe has a good reputation on FTE.VikingBabe has a good reputation on FTE.
Yes, I found that "BraveNewClimate" link earlier today and posted it in a couple of other forums. Also posted the An informed public is key to acceptance of nuclear energy link in those forums too.
Old 03-15-2011, 12:52 AM
Postmaster

ford2go has much to be proud offord2go has much to be proud offord2go has much to be proud offord2go has much to be proud offord2go has much to be proud offord2go has much to be proud offord2go has much to be proud offord2go has much to be proud offord2go has much to be proud offord2go has much to be proud of
Things do seem to be getting a bit dicier. The Japanese PM is now telling people near the plants to stay indoors. Radiation levels are rising, apparently after the latest explosion.

Japan PM: Radiation leaking from damaged plant - World news - Asia-Pacific - msnbc.com

It does sound as if the Japanese reactors are well designed from a safety aspect -- and that is no real surprise.

I do remember reading something in Popular Science to the effect that you could go to a Russian nuclear plant and see the workings of the plant through the water. Under normal circumstances, there is no danger. (ooops)

I know that there is a lot of media hype, but there is no doubt that Japan took it in the shorts on this one.

hj
Old 03-15-2011, 07:44 AM
Super Moderator

Krewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by FTE Herman View Post
There is more incompetence than subterfuge in the media. IMO.

Most people have no idea what radioactivity even IS.

We can thank the pervasive purposely ignorant "anti-science" crowd for that.
Old 03-15-2011, 08:38 AM
Senior User

bulldogchief has a good reputation on FTE.bulldogchief has a good reputation on FTE.bulldogchief has a good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krewat View Post
We can thank the pervasive purposely ignorant "anti-science" crowd for that.
Yep. Got a pic in my Facebook account of a girl posing underneath a church's roadside sign. The sign read, "A free thinker is Satan's slave."