Arctic Fox
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My two cents worth on test drive of 6.2L and Ecoboost

I did test drive both 6.2L and Ecoboost;

6.2L
Growly angry lion like roar for sound
Towing should be easy with this engine
Power and torque dramatically increase as RPM increases, never seems to stop even at around 6000-6500 RPM (didn't have much time to look down at tachometer)
Hydraulic power steering feels tight and sure

Dislikes
Fuel mileage doesn't get much better than the 5.4L
Possible resale value in future depending on where gas prices go

----------------------------------
Ecoboost
Intense power however, not ballsy feeling
Good fuel mileage compared to 6.2L or 5.4L

Dislikes
Way too quiet, almost electric car like
Again, way too quiet...lol
Electric power steering feels too soft and loose

Conclusion:
Both are great engines although they definitely come from different worlds. I do prefer the raw power of the big V8. I don't think I could ever get used to the quietness of the Ecoboost. Although the Ecoboost was impressively powerful, I did find the 6.2L to pull more at WOT.

I am glad of my choice to order the 6.2L but I have to admit, I can see why people would also go for the Ecoboost...it's just not my personal preference.

I have not yet tested the 5.0L...so no opinions on that.

I hope this helps some people a little.

Old 03-12-2011, 04:21 PM
Chug
Freshman User
I wonder how much your impression of the power has to do with the lack of noise emitted by the Ecoboost. I tend to think most people associate noise with power. That is why most vacuum cleaners are so dang loud. They don't need to be. You've driven these two engines and I have not, so I can't say for sure, but it seems the two engines are fairly similar in how they get the truck moving.

Old 03-12-2011, 04:37 PM
Scorpion67
Elder User
I haven't driven the 6.2 in the F150, but I have in the SD. I think Chug is right, people associate noise with power, where if you look at it scientifically, noise is wasted energy. I think the power of the EB is deceptive. It is very linear and progressive. It doesn't surge on kick down then flatten off like a lot of V8s do. That being said, from 5,000-6,000 rpm the 6.2 does have more upper rpm power and torque, which is why I'm sure you are describing it as "never seems to stop." Sounds like a strong performer.

Old 03-12-2011, 04:52 PM
barry1me
Senior User
Originally Posted by Scorpion67
I haven't driven the 6.2 in the F150, but I have in the SD. I think Chug is right, people associate noise with power, where if you look at it scientifically, noise is wasted energy. I think the power of the EB is deceptive. It is very linear and progressive. It doesn't surge on kick down then flatten off like a lot of V8s do. That being said, from 5,000-6,000 rpm the 6.2 does have more upper rpm power and torque, which is why I'm sure you are describing it as "never seems to stop." Sounds like a strong performer.
I completely agree on the quietness of the EB engine. Smooth and quiet power always seems slower then loud harsh power.

Old 03-12-2011, 05:45 PM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,219 Likes on 802 Posts
The good thing is, all four new engines use the same transmission. I'm not sure if the trannys are programed differently or not.

Ford should have brought to market a more updated version of the 6.2L. ie, 4 valve engine.

Old 03-12-2011, 06:17 PM
Arctic Fox
Senior User
You are all correct. The sound does make it more dramatic on the V8. The quietness of the Ecoboost is actually odd feeling. There's all this power and it feels like the engine is not even running. I found it very different to say the least.

I will say this, the 6.2L power is gradual and more linear feeling as you put down the pedal where as the Eco power is almost instantaneous and then gets really strong at about 2500RPM when the boost kicks in.

Good of Ford to have the different engine options at last for the F150. Should please all.

Old 03-13-2011, 07:53 AM
Chug
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Arctic Fox
Good of Ford to have the different engine options at last for the F150. Should please all.
I think you hit the nail on the head. There should be something for everyone. I'll be interested to see if more people join up here and on other F-150 forums who were owners of other brand trucks. Ford has done a great job with their engine line-up this year. I am still really happy with my 2010 with the 4.6 3 valve, but man that new 5.0 would sweet!

The other thing that would be cool is for Ford to bring back the lightning using the Ecoboost, possibly tuned for 400+ HP. I have always liked the idea of a quiet, stealthy sport truck. Plus, lightning is technically silent and it is the percussion of the air around it that makes noise. That is why Ford needs to market another truck along side the Lightning: THUNDER, its loud, raucous brother. This truck would have some variation of the 5.0 (either tuned nicely or blown). The 6.2 would be too much weight on the nose of this truck and that 5.0 is a high-revving mill perfect for this application.

Ford, are you listening?

Old 03-13-2011, 09:00 AM
efx4
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Chug
I think you hit the nail on the head. There should be something for everyone. I'll be interested to see if more people join up here and on other F-150 forums who were owners of other brand trucks. Ford has done a great job with their engine line-up this year. I am still really happy with my 2010 with the 4.6 3 valve, but man that new 5.0 would sweet!

The other thing that would be cool is for Ford to bring back the lightning using the Ecoboost, possibly tuned for 400+ HP. I have always liked the idea of a quiet, stealthy sport truck. Plus, lightning is technically silent and it is the percussion of the air around it that makes noise. That is why Ford needs to market another truck along side the Lightning: THUNDER, its loud, raucous brother. This truck would have some variation of the 5.0 (either tuned nicely or blown). The 6.2 would be too much weight on the nose of this truck and that 5.0 is a high-revving mill perfect for this application.

Ford, are you listening?
You could be on to something But I also do agree that Ford has done a good job at making an engine for just about everyone, as mentioned.

Old 03-13-2011, 09:00 AM
fonefiddy
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Turbo's always quiet the exhaust down.

Old 03-13-2011, 10:26 AM
Eric Landstrom
Senior User
I tend to think most people associate noise with power.
I think you're right. One of my sports cars has an active exhaust that when stomped on, the exhaust note goes from a tuned, low rumble to a resonating, baritone chorus of supercharged spender. But because of the super tall gearing, the exhaust note maintains something of a slow-revving, devil-gargling-methanol sound that doesn't seem all that fast even though my eyes can tell I'm getting shot out of a cannon and that I'm hurling from 0-150 mph in 19 seconds.

Old 03-13-2011, 11:07 AM
Arctic Fox
Senior User
Originally Posted by Eric Landstrom
...the exhaust note maintains something of a slow-revving, devil-gargling-methanol sound that doesn't seem all that fast even though my eyes can tell I'm getting shot out of a cannon and that I'm hurling from 0-150 mph in 19 seconds.
love the visual descriptions. Good writing.

Old 03-13-2011, 10:44 PM
Big Bad
Elder User
Originally Posted by tseekins
Ford should have brought to market a more updated version of the 6.2L. ie, 4 valve engine.
An aluminum block 6.2 4V with Ti-VCT would make for one hell of a Lightning, GT500, or "bigger than 302" Boss engine.

TBH, the 6.2 as it sits just doesn't do it for me. I say this because IMHO both the 5.0 and EcoBoost have a much better compromise of power and fuel economy in the trucks and the 5.0 is a WAY better match for Mustang, IMO.

Old 03-14-2011, 12:40 AM
640 CI Aluminum FORD
Fleet Mechanic
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Ford, are you listening?
You are on to something. The quite but still quick Ecoboost Lightning and the Loud and Quick 5.0L Thunder! I like the idea of it, and it would give the ''Performance Truck'' buyer some options. Instead of being forced into just driving an Ecoboost or just driving a 5.0L there would be one for both wakes and that would be awesome!

And for those few collecters who have the money could own both.

I can see it now...

Ecboost Lightning flys by at 150mph....WHOOOSH!

5.0L Thunder right behinde it 150mph....VROOOM!

Lightning & Thunder

Haha its a fun thought.

And yes as you said...Ford are you listening?