1961 - 1966 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Slick Sixties Ford Truck

Idea on a Shortened Long-Bed

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2011, 10:27 PM
Ziegelsteinfaust
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Idea on a Shortened Long-Bed

I have seen people cut down long beds to make short beds, by taking 14" out of the front and 4" in the rear. Which makes it now a traditional short bed.

But has anybody just chopped out the middle section, and had something like a 6'10" bed? I was thinking 14" would be cool, but maybe 16" could be done before looking to short.

My opion on Ford shortbeds is that it just is missing something, and while long beds to me look better. I was thinking a mid-length bed would still look cool, and give me a bit better turning radius.

Good news on my life I got the full amount for Pel grants so I will be using most of it to do my truck up this summer. What ever way that ends up being.

Old 03-11-2011, 10:57 PM
37 Ford guy
Posting Guru

Originally Posted by Ziegelsteinfaust
Good news on my life I got the full amount for Pel grants so I will be using most of it to do my truck up this summer. What ever way that ends up being.
Is this what you intend to spend on your truck?? Federal Pell Grant Program

Old 03-12-2011, 02:38 AM
Carefree T
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Leave it! The long beds look so much nicer than the short beds, and you don't see many of them left because so many butcher them into stubbies (short beds). They look like they're "just missing something" because they are - the rest of the truck! Hehe...now that my bias is revealed I don't know how a "medium bed" would look if you managed not to mess up the lines and the "flow" or the "balance" of the bed styling. I can't imagine why it'd be terribly worth all that effort, though, honestly. If these trucks didn't ride, handle and turn like Conestoga wagons, what'd be the fun in drivin' 'em?

Old 03-12-2011, 09:27 AM
tinman52
Welder User

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by 37 Ford guy
Is this what you intend to spend on your truck?? Federal Pell Grant Program
So my taxes are going to pay for you to play with your truck??? That pisses me off!!!

Old 03-12-2011, 09:49 AM
Pickupmanx2
Logistics Pro
Received 239 Likes on 184 Posts
Originally Posted by tinman52
So my taxes are going to pay for you to play with your truck??? That pisses me off!!!
And healthcare, and senators salaries, and, and and and the list goes on and on,,, so yep,, ya might wanna keep that one to yourself Ziglestein,,,
most of us are eeekin money from our BUDGETs for our trucks...

Old 03-12-2011, 10:59 AM
Ziegelsteinfaust
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by tinman52

I have already gone through alot of my savings while unemplyed. Me and my wife combined have payed about $1000 just on books for just this semester. Last year before I got layed off I payed $3000 to start over again in a more lucrative trade.

The truck is going to be my final large cut back I can realisticly do. We also considered giving my wifes car too, but I think one new car is fine in case we need to go somewhere. My car note is well quite high, and my feild has effectively ended here in the near term so I am re-training for a new skill.

Even if I get a job again there is little in the way of longer term employment, and it will be only a minute or two till I am unemployed again. So if I don't fix-up the truck a bit it will only leave me stranded sooner or later. If I go back to my old job a 70+ mile daily commute is the norm, and in my hopefully soon to be new feild I have no idea. I know I won't get a truck for about a year, but I will need to drive somewhere to get into the service van.

I had originally planned to upgrade the truck on a shoe-string budget when it broke, but now I plan a bit more then just grabbing better stuff out of a PYP or CL.

I can not even get a $10-12 an hour job becouse I am over-qualified.

Old 03-12-2011, 11:11 AM
Ziegelsteinfaust
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Pickupmanx2
And healthcare, and senators salaries, and, and and and the list goes on and on,,, so yep,, ya might wanna keep that one to yourself Ziglestein,,,
most of us are eeekin money from our BUDGETs for our trucks...

I have welding supplys in my moms garage, and I have the ability to trade for more if I need too with others who are laid off / under-employed I know. Hell one guy said he will weld up the frame, and drive shaft for me for a Holley I have with the tuning kit.

I also have steel left over from when I notched my GMC a couple of years ago.

So I was to do this I could do it for money that has already been spent, and parts I really don't need.

Old 03-12-2011, 11:53 AM
connvicted64f100
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You can use part of your Pell Grant on transportation.

Old 03-12-2011, 12:43 PM
Ziegelsteinfaust
Posting Guru
Any ideas on a mid length bed?

A guy a few post above me likes the long beds?

I wanna build a custom out of my truck, and not roll the typical Chevy. I have decent skills, and plenty of time to get it done.

Old 03-15-2011, 12:23 PM
Pickupmanx2
Logistics Pro
Received 239 Likes on 184 Posts

I can not even get a $10-12 an hour job becouse I am over-qualified.
You know,,, I really would like to know who coined that phrase,,, "over-qualified"

I think I have been "over-qualified" for more than half of the jobs I have had through the years,,, but guess what?!! I still did them!! Working 2 or 3 at a time before to make ends meet and put grub on the table, changing tires, oil, flippin burgers,,,, and not once have I looked to the government to support me,,, yep, I drove an old beater Fiesta,,, and ate alot of beans and mac n cheese,,,
Jobs are there,,,, over-qualified most the time, means yer prides to big,,,
what-ever happened to doin what ya gotta do to support you and yours?!
Is that lost?!

Old 03-15-2011, 12:44 PM
6CylBill
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Some of us are indeed over-qualified. I know what he means. It means people won't hire him. I've had that same problem. I put in another application last night at a hotel.

They want you to be mentally handicapted or on welfare before they're willing to hire someone for minimum wage work. I reckon they figure healthy males my age should be in college. Or the military. Really I'd love to give the Military a solid go but I have ties here I don't want to leave for years.

Old 03-15-2011, 01:15 PM
Ziegelsteinfaust
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Pickupmanx2
You know,,, I really would like to know who coined that phrase,,, "over-qualified"

I think I have been "over-qualified" for more than half of the jobs I have had through the years,,, but guess what?!! I still did them!! Working 2 or 3 at a time before to make ends meet and put grub on the table, changing tires, oil, flippin burgers,,,, and not once have I looked to the government to support me,,, yep, I drove an old beater Fiesta,,, and ate alot of beans and mac n cheese,,,
Jobs are there,,,, over-qualified most the time, means yer prides to big,,,
what-ever happened to doin what ya gotta do to support you and yours?!
Is that lost?!

Their words not mine.

I have the EPA 608 universal, CA Firelife saftey, and CA electricans card.

They were looking for complete beginers with some schooling, and or techs with 5+ years.

The only jobs I get called for is the scam insurance sales or reps.

To flip burgers in CA you need a license for that.

Old 03-15-2011, 08:55 PM
RJP66F100
Senior User
Any ideas on a mid length bed?
I'd rather not spend my tax dollars on hacking up a truck bed, not exactly neccessary for transportation...

Old 03-15-2011, 10:39 PM
Bill W
Hotshot
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
two words....

Public Transportation.

build your truck on your own dime.

Old 03-15-2011, 11:28 PM
Bdox
Fleet Owner

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Over qualified means many things.

one is: over qualified

another is: you have unrealistic expectations

and: you are too old

and: we don't pay what you want

and: I don't like you.

and: your references are not backing you up.

and: your references are fake

and: you have a lousey work record.

In other words, it's a brush off. When you get to be about fifty that's all you will hear. People don't want to hire someone that might be a threat to their position. Bottom line, it is not a compliment, it's just a gentle way of getting rid of you. It might even mean that I hear you are spending your pell grant money on your hobby, (money that you were supposed to use for food and rent so you could get by in school without being overburdened with jobs,) instead of it's intended purposes and I don't intend to support that choice.

Quick Reply: Idea on a Shortened Long-Bed