1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

specing my 2011 F350

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2011, 09:00 PM
mnbrown
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
specing my 2011 F350

2005 F250 owner and we love it! We bought it to haul a standard 5<SUP>th</SUP> wheel and when not towing, to enjoy in the mountains, dirt roads and Alaska. We have nothing but good things to say about the whole package of the 2005. However we now have children so need 3x rear proper seat belts. We also need to upgrade to a toy Hauler 5<SUP>th</SUP> wheel so really need a F350. Being a man I have manufactured a bunch of other reasons why we need to change – don’t tell her that though will you.
Looking at the 2011 we have some questions that we just can’t seem to get a straight answer from the Ford dealers. Of course they either just don’t know the detail or the F350’s they have on the lot don’t have what we want so they tell us what they want us to hear not what we want to know.
1. Does the 2011 F350 diesel, Crew Cab Lariat have exhaust breaks in tow haul mode
2. Where can I learn about the rear axle options – what are the features and benefits of limited slip Vs electronic locking
3. Is dimming rear mirror standard?
4. Is hill start worth the money and what does it really do
5. Is the hill descent if the F4X worth it
6. Why would I need anything other than the standard alternator option
7. I know I need a bigger alternator for rapid heat – is rapid heat worth it?
8. The dealers seem to want c$500 for chrome cab steps. What is the standard cab step option? i.e. if I don’t order chrome cab steps what will I get?
9. If I go for the short box (6 3/4’) if appears to come with a 26 gallon fuel tank. Can I order it with a bigger tank or is it 26 gallons because that’s the biggest they can fit in with a short box.

Old 03-14-2011, 10:21 PM
pvp64
Junior User
Most of the answers you seek I found on the found on the build it yourself portion of Fords website, or by stopping by your local dealer to grab a brochure and talk with them. If your not having any luck at the dealer try calling Ford .

Customer Relationship Center
United States
800-392-3673
800-232-5952 (TDD for the Hearing Impaired)
Available 8:00a.m.-5:00p.m. Local Time
Monday-Friday

Build and Price

Old 03-14-2011, 10:42 PM
powerstroke72
Super Moderator
Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by mnbrown
2005 F250 owner and we love it! We bought it to haul a standard 5<sup>th</sup> wheel and when not towing, to enjoy in the mountains, dirt roads and Alaska. We have nothing but good things to say about the whole package of the 2005. However we now have children so need 3x rear proper seat belts. We also need to upgrade to a toy Hauler 5<sup>th</sup> wheel so really need a F350. Being a man I have manufactured a bunch of other reasons why we need to change – don’t tell her that though will you.
Looking at the 2011 we have some questions that we just can’t seem to get a straight answer from the Ford dealers. Of course they either just don’t know the detail or the F350’s they have on the lot don’t have what we want so they tell us what they want us to hear not what we want to know.
1. Does the 2011 F350 diesel, Crew Cab Lariat have exhaust breaks in tow haul mode
2. Where can I learn about the rear axle options – what are the features and benefits of limited slip Vs electronic locking
3. Is dimming rear mirror standard?
4. Is hill start worth the money and what does it really do
5. Is the hill descent if the F4X worth it
6. Why would I need anything other than the standard alternator option
7. I know I need a bigger alternator for rapid heat – is rapid heat worth it?
8. The dealers seem to want c$500 for chrome cab steps. What is the standard cab step option? i.e. if I don’t order chrome cab steps what will I get?
9. If I go for the short box (6 3/4’) if appears to come with a 26 gallon fuel tank. Can I order it with a bigger tank or is it 26 gallons because that’s the biggest they can fit in with a short box.
This would be an excellent thread to start in the 6.7L Powerstroke Diesel forum as well. I'd say that you'll get your answers pretty quickly down there since you're specifically asking questions about the 6.7 diesel.

Old 03-14-2011, 11:29 PM
mnbrown
Freshman User
Originally Posted by pvp64
Most of the answers you seek I found on the found on the build it yourself portion of Fords website, or by stopping by your local dealer to grab a brochure and talk with them. If your not having any luck at the dealer try calling Ford .

Customer Relationship Center
United States
800-392-3673
800-232-5952 (TDD for the Hearing Impaired)
Available 8:00a.m.-5:00p.m. Local Time
Monday-Friday

Build and Price
Thank you for the above. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" /><o></o>
I am flabbergasted by the utter lack of knowledge at Ford dealerships on the key issues of the F series trucks they "sell". I also have them trying to sell me what they have on the lot with no reference or even consideration for what I want and need from the vehicle. Good job I didn't much like the guy as if I had, I would now be the owner of a truck that cannot do a darn thing I need it to do - I would however have a great Navigation system. Frustrated and needy for advice and knowledge, I have e-mailed ford twice and am still awaiting a reply – go figure. I guess the recession has taken its toll but you’d have thought now would be a good time to get ahead of the curve on dealership product knowledge and ensuring the customers get the information they want and need. Knowing that Dealerships are struggling to keep quality staff would tell me that I need to have a great customer reference facility – What do I know eh? I’m just the potential customer. - Okay rant over.....<o></o>
I’ll try calling.<o></o>
Thanks again.<o></o>

Old 03-14-2011, 11:55 PM
mnbrown
Freshman User
Originally Posted by powerstroke72
This would be an excellent thread to start in the 6.7L Powerstroke Diesel forum as well. I'd say that you'll get your answers pretty quickly down there since you're specifically asking questions about the 6.7 diesel.
Thanks jonh have done!

Old 03-14-2011, 11:57 PM
powerstroke72
Super Moderator
Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts
Good deal.

Old 03-15-2011, 06:15 AM
nycsteve
Mountain Pass
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You must order cabsteps of some sort or you will get none at all. The alternate to the tubes is the flat black ford running board, very durable.

Old 03-15-2011, 12:01 PM
unhcp
Senior User
1. exhaust brake is standard on any diesel model

2.electronic locking rear diff locks both axles together for max traction,Limited slip differentials are considered a compromise between a standard differential and a locking differential because they operate more smoothly, and they do direct some extra torque to the wheel with the most traction compared to a standard differential, but they are not capable of 100% lockup.

3. dimming rear view mirror is standard on lariats

4. hill start allows you to not roll backwards or forwards depending on your gear selection while launching with a load or trailer, it automatically applies the brakes until the truck starts going forward or reverse.

5. The Super Duty also has Hill Descent control. It allows a driver to set a maximum speed and then the computer automatically works the throttle and brake to make hauling a load down a steep grade less stressfull

6. if your do any plowing or running of emergency lights etc you could get a bigger alternator

7. rapid heat would be good if you live somewhere cold:It electronicly produces some heat until the engines warms up hot enough to produce sufficient heat to heat the cab

8.if you don't get chrome steps, you just get the black molded steps

9. gas tank is based on wheelbase, so yes that is the biggest you can get with that configuration