Notices
1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

1956 F250 and 351W?

Old 03-15-2003, 10:28 AM
Vlad44
New User
Vlad44 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Question 1956 F250 and 351W?

Hello

I am new to rebuilding pickups and i would like to know if anyone knows if i can swap out the 272 Y block that is in the pickup now and replace it with a 351W without having to do a whole lot of front end changes? Thanks in advance.

Old 03-15-2003, 05:44 PM
ferguson777
Posting Guru
ferguson777 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
1956 F250 and 351W?

There are several threads in here on the subject, including a recent one entitled something like "putting a big motor in my'51".

You don't say what year your truck is but a 351W is a relatively easy fit in just about anything. Hell, if it's a 48 to 56 - even a 460 would fit.

You'll need new motor and tranny mounts but just about everybody sells them. Do a search in here on 351W and you should find lots on the subject.

Old 03-15-2003, 06:44 PM
Earl
Postmaster
Earl has a good reputation on FTE.Earl has a good reputation on FTE.Earl has a good reputation on FTE.
1956 F250 and 351W?

Some Saturday night random thoughts while I sit in my shorts, bathed in the glow of my 20" LCD flat-screen monitor. Now there's a mental picture that'll keep you awake tonight.

Why would you want to swap out your classic 272 Y-block for some new-fangled engine that's prolly got a bunch of light-weight-iron parts in it? Boy, that old 272 is a real keeper. I've got one in my 1956 F-250, "Earl" - well, actually, on an engine stand next to Earl. 'fenders can verify that. Mine scares the hell out of my dogs. I think it's mostly the creaking sounds it makes sitting on the engine stand. Anyway, if I had that baby all spiffed up and back in my truck, I bet it would scare the hell out of everybody.

I'd think twice about losing the charm and nostalgia your vintage mill has. Wussy, post-1960 engines leak oil. The classic 50's engines ooze class. So don't modify these old beauties - keep 'em original. Don't join the dark side with their new-fangled electric windshield wipers, air conditioning, Mustolare II IFS, disc brakes, and such. Great ***** O' Fire man, us REAL men don' t need no stinking air conditioning. Or badges, for that matter.

By the way, "light-weight-iron", or, more correctly "laat-wate-arn" is apparently the technical term for aluminum in southwest ohio. Didn't know that until I moved here from Wisconsin.

Well, I'm going back down to the garage to see if I can get some more of that vintage sheet metal off the 1956 refrigerator I found. It'll make great authentic body patches for Earl.

Last edited by Earl; 03-15-2003 at 07:15 PM.
Old 03-16-2003, 07:15 AM
ferguson777
Posting Guru
ferguson777 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
1956 F250 and 351W?

Earl,

"Some Saturday night random thoughts while I sit in my shorts, bathed in the glow of my 20" LCD flat-screen monitor. Now there's a mental picture that'll keep you awake tonight. "

Not that I'm one to sit around imagining Earl in his underwear, but I'll bet he's wearing briefs not boxers and the belly hangs over them so far, you wouldn't know which anyway.

You're right Earl, S C A R E Y !!

I almost gouged my eyes out with a coffee spoon.

Old 03-16-2003, 08:31 AM
Earl
Postmaster
Earl has a good reputation on FTE.Earl has a good reputation on FTE.Earl has a good reputation on FTE.
1956 F250 and 351W?

Well, it does hang over a bit but I'm working on it. Reducing the hang over I mean. The hang over my shorts - not an alcohol hangover. Aw heck, I'll just wear blue jeans next time.

Old 03-16-2003, 09:44 PM
Fat Fendered Ford
Elder User
Fat Fendered Ford is starting off with a positive reputation.
1956 F250 and 351W?

Acquired this spy photo of George at his monitor. Send the kids out of the room 'cause it ain't pretty! I hacked his web cam. Looks like some of John's home cookin' at his feet. George might like you to think he has a piece of computer equipment as advanced as a flat screen monitor but the photo clearly shows the relic he really uses. About as outdated as they come. Don't know how he gets FTE on it.

And what's with the monkey?

Old 03-16-2003, 10:00 PM
fatfenders
Post Fiend
fatfenders has a good reputation on FTE.fatfenders has a good reputation on FTE.fatfenders has a good reputation on FTE.
1956 F250 and 351W?

Kevin

Nice try but I have been to Georges house. I hate to tell you this but there is an inaccuracy in your photo. His truck is definitely not red.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.