Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Backing in really tight spaces/power steering

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2011, 03:29 PM
quiacato
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Backing in really tight spaces/power steering

If you are backing in a really tight space, as in, can only roll a few inches while you turn, how hard should it be to steer????

My arms were hurting backing out last night, I was told just now by the dealer, there is nothing wrong with the power steering (it has been worked on four times). That it is normal for these trucks because of how they are designed, that in that situation, put the truck in neutral and give it gas, then go.

Is this true???? I was told by one mechanic I needed new shocks, they say are the fine. I just dont know who to trust or believe.

Old 03-10-2011, 04:08 PM
bdrummonds
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by quiacato
If you are backing in a really tight space, as in, can only roll a few inches while you turn, how hard should it be to steer????

My arms were hurting backing out last night, I was told just now by the dealer, there is nothing wrong with the power steering (it has been worked on four times). That it is normal for these trucks because of how they are designed, that in that situation, put the truck in neutral and give it gas, then go.

Is this true???? I was told by one mechanic I needed new shocks, they say are the fine. I just dont know who to trust or believe.
The dealer is correct. A PSD's powersteering and braking system are linked by a hydroboost module. it basically uses the PS pump as a hydraulic pump to help boost the braking power of the master cylinder. A diesel has no vacuum, so standard vacuum assisted master cylinder would not work on our trucks. As far as the reving in nuetral thing, I really dont see how that could help. The less braking force you apply via the pedal the easier it is to steer our trucks at a stop. oversize tires tend to be the hardest to turn and manuever with.

to test if you need front shocks (which in your case would not help your hard steering) simply bounce a front corner of the truck, if it does not settle after 1 and 1/2 bounce, then you need new shocks.

Old 03-10-2011, 04:18 PM
clintbonnie
Cargo Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Be sure to inflate your front tires to near max for easier steering.. Also, you might want to flush and replace your power steering fluid with Mobil 1 syn mercon automatic transmission fluid (ATF). There is a procedure if you want it..

Old 03-10-2011, 04:35 PM
quiacato
Junior User
How about rear shocks? The fronts are new... one of the tires was really low so maybe that is why it was so horrible last night ... guess I just need to make sure I dont park in really tight places

Old 03-10-2011, 05:18 PM
JOHN2001
Logistics Pro
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
My truck is lifted with oversized tires in signature. The only time I got a workout from turning the wheel was when I got my power steering fluid changed.

Old 03-10-2011, 06:27 PM
clintbonnie
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by JOHN2001
My truck is lifted with oversized tires in signature. The only time I got a workout from turning the wheel was when I got my power steering fluid changed.
You are saying don't ever change the fluid in the power steering ? If you had the fliud change by someone else other than yourself, they may have put "power steering" fluid in the reservoir instead of ATF ( mercon automatic transmission fluid, which is required)

Old 03-10-2011, 06:47 PM
JOHN2001
Logistics Pro
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by clintbonnie
You are saying don't ever change the fluid in the power steering ? If you had the fliud change by someone else other than yourself, they may have put "power steering" fluid in the reservoir instead of ATF ( mercon automatic transmission fluid, which is required)
No!! Lol I'm not saying don't ever get it changed. I took mine to a local place and had them change it for me and I don't like other people in my truck so I was turning the wheel back and fourth while they did it. I think I might have a problem, that thought didn't even dawn on me until you mentioned it I'm gonna call tomorrow and find out... I should have known better!!! Thanks for bringing that up bud.

Old 03-10-2011, 07:36 PM
clintbonnie
Cargo Master
Ok, i see what you are saying by a work out.. lol
Let us know what they put in the pump.. it pretty easy to make that mistake.

Old 03-10-2011, 07:55 PM
dn29626
Cargo Master
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
I may be missing something here, but i rarely turn my tires while not moving and have never had trouble turning the steering wheel even while moving slowly, brakes applied or not.

Old 03-11-2011, 12:57 PM
quiacato
Junior User
what I am talking about is backing of out a really tight spot - say a 6 point turn - my foot was never on the brake as I was turning on the wheel but I was really not giving it any gas as I was only able to go back about a foot at a time - I asked a friend last night who has the same truck (but not with big tires) and he has the same issue.

The mechanic that has been working on my truck said it is just really a problem with the 01's, that is basically a flaw in the system for that year.

Old 03-11-2011, 02:23 PM
Brother Les
Cargo Master
Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts
Originally Posted by quiacato
what I am talking about is backing of out a really tight spot - say a 6 point turn - my foot was never on the brake as I was turning on the wheel but I was really not giving it any gas as I was only able to go back about a foot at a time - I asked a friend last night who has the same truck (but not with big tires) and he has the same issue.

The mechanic that has been working on my truck said it is just really a problem with the 01's, that is basically a flaw in the system for that year.

Never heard of this 'flaw'??? I must have one of those '01s that does not know she is 'flawed'???? I will let her know when I get out to the parking lot.

Better yet, maybe you need to get a mechanic who an't snowing you....

Old 03-11-2011, 02:26 PM
Brother Les
Cargo Master
Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts
Did you get your truck started?

Old 03-11-2011, 03:43 PM
Rose Clifford
Posting Guru
i have the same "problem." When I am stopped, i can get a turn and a half then it gets really hard, all i have to do is roll an inch and it turns to butter again. i think i hold the brake at the same time, i'll have to take notice and get back to you....but dont worry, mine gets hard after a turn, nearly impossible actually.