Notices
1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Bolt hole measurement

Old 04-16-2011, 06:35 AM
Ken Newman
Senior User
Ken Newman has a good reputation on FTE.Ken Newman has a good reputation on FTE.Ken Newman has a good reputation on FTE.
Carl is doing a complete restore and is doing a great job. He only had one set of hood latches and he needs them for his :-(

Old 04-20-2011, 09:37 PM
Ken Newman
Senior User
Ken Newman has a good reputation on FTE.Ken Newman has a good reputation on FTE.Ken Newman has a good reputation on FTE.
Hello everyone. I paid for my engine last night. Now I have to pick a shipper to bring it here from Michigan. It is an International DT360 diesel engine with a 5 speed manual transmission out of an early nineties school bus. It is a straight six similar in size to the 5.9 Cummins. It has a manual fuel pump. The folks I've talked to that know these engines say they are very strong and can be made to make plenty of power. They have removable liners if I ever need to bebuild it. When it gets here I'll try to post some pictures.

Old 04-26-2011, 10:16 PM
Ken Newman
Senior User
What's up COE guys? Is your weather nice enough to get out and do some work on them? Still waiting on my engine to get here.

Old 04-27-2011, 12:55 AM
old ugly
Senior User
old ugly is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Hi Ken Glad to here you found an engine. Hopefully the freight on it is reasonable.
I wish we had the Arizona winter weather here but you can have the summer. The weather here now is hit and miss. Nice temp. for working but raining half the time. I'm concentrating on my 54 Merc. 350 right now as I could really use it next fall. Not doing anything fancy to it, just going over the brakes and painting it. Built a nice light deck for it last summer out of scrape metal I had laying around, still need to make the deck boards for it. Came out ok for what it cost.
Been doing a bit of wiring and a lot of thinking on the coe, that's about it.

Old 04-27-2011, 07:18 AM
Ken Newman
Senior User
I would love to build a detached shop out back. Some day I will if I live long enough. The shipping lady said my engine was in Chicago yesterday and headed this way. I sure hope I can get in installed without having to cut the floor too much.

Old 04-29-2011, 11:10 PM
Ken Newman
Senior User
The engine and transmission made it here today. Quite a bit of rust but I think it should clean up ok. Now to see if I can get it installed so I can mount the body.

Old 05-06-2011, 10:31 PM
Ken Newman
Senior User
You COE guys are awful quiet. What have you been up to? I hope to get the engine cleaned up Saturday.

Old 05-07-2011, 09:58 PM
Ken Newman
Senior User
Well, I got it cleaned up enough to try and fit it in the frame. Once I get it mounted and the cab mounted I can take it all apart and do it right. It had a bunch of rust. Us Arizona guys aren't used to seeing that. Getting the shifter right ought to be fun!

Old 05-08-2011, 01:15 AM
old ugly
Senior User
old ugly is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Hi Ken Looks like your making headway. Don't know if it will help or not but the first thing I did was mount the rad and shroud then placed the engine so the fan sat in the shroud properly, then built cross members for engine and trans. mounts and bolted them in. Every project and person is different though. Just an idea that I hope might help. This may not work in your case as your not using the original frame.
Bye for now and good luck.

Old 05-08-2011, 09:17 AM
Ken Newman
Senior User
Thanks Rod. I don't own a radiator yet. My main concern is to mount the engine low enough (or the body high enough) so I don't have the engine sticking up too far into the cab.

Old 05-15-2011, 11:07 PM
Ken Newman
Senior User
Here is another picture of the Mercury someone posted on PSN. I love these trucks. Ebay has a '56 on a van chassis right now.

Old 01-19-2016, 08:43 PM
Ken Newman
Senior User
Hi guys,
It's been a while since I've posted anything about my COE. It's going slow but I have made progress. I had an International DT360 with Eaton 5 speed from a school bus sitting in the frame and cut the floor some to clear it.
I never liked the way it fit so I pulled it and installed a '96 EFI 460 with E4OD transmission. It is from a two wheel drive so I had to change the tail housing and rear shaft on the tranny to hang the BW 1356 transfer case. The engine is now bolted in and the cab is just sitting on it. I've decided to use 2005 Ford cab mounts in the stock frame holes for the rear mounts. They are much more stout than the original wishbone style.

Attached Images  
Old 01-19-2016, 09:00 PM
Ken Newman
Senior User
I bought a thick replacement radiator and A/C condenser for a 1996 Ford F250 with A/C and auto. I'll make them fit. If I'm away from home and something breaks, I'll be able to find replacement parts. I need to transfer some more pictures from my phone to my home computer so I can upload them. Hope you guys are doing ok.

Old 01-19-2016, 09:21 PM
pweng1
Posting Guru
pweng1 has a good reputation on FTE.pweng1 has a good reputation on FTE.pweng1 has a good reputation on FTE.
Keep up the progress.The 460 is what i have in mine. How are you making out with that wider frame. Have you figured out all the 4WD issues yet?

Old 01-19-2016, 09:31 PM
Ken Newman
Senior User
The axles are from a 2005 F550 so the rear end u-joint is a 1480. I found a driveshaft with 1410 u-joints. I found a conversion u-joint to 1350 for the 31 spline front yoke and 1410 for the rear. I have a front C/V driveshaft from the F550 but haven't tried fitting it yet. I haven't decided how to do the transfer case linkage yet. Probably a push/pull marine type cable.

Attached Images  

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Bolt hole measurement

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.