1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Bolt hole measurement

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2011, 06:04 PM
Ken Newman
Laughing Gas
Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts
Is that what you guys used to post those drawings? If so I need to order it now.

Old 03-15-2011, 06:12 PM
Ken Newman
Laughing Gas
I just bought the CD. Thanks guys.

Old 03-15-2011, 10:35 PM
old ugly
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hi Ken Hope this stuff helps and gives you some idea as to what things looked like. I would guess that most of it is irrelevant as you are using a different frame. I believe you will need to set front mounts to your liking then level the cab front to back then fabricate what ever for your back mounts. I would assume if your rear mount arms are at about a 45 degree angle and frame mounts are square with the frame you should be ok, pretty much as in your picture. One thing we don't know is if the coe arms and pick-up arms are the same length center to center of bushings.
Yes, I had to enlarge the floor opening a fair bit. No way can I use a bench seat. The yoke on the main trans is pretty well at the back of the cab. Both gear shifts are between the bucket seats. I also had to make a hump in the floor to clear the turbo. I'll try another picture.

Old 03-16-2011, 08:24 PM
Ken Newman
Laughing Gas
Thanks for all the info. Are you going to have a hydraulic clutch? I wish I had an engine for mine so I could mount the cab for good. I am still looking for either a 7.3 or a 6.0 from a late model Ford truck. I would like to do a manual transmission but if I find a low mileage complete engine and transmission, transfer case combo and it is an automatic I am going to buy it. I'm looking at a low mileage 6.0 combo but the guy wants $5,000 and that is more than I want to pay. I'm not going to rush and buy something that I'm sorry I bought later on. If I wait I'll find something eventually. I'll shut up now :-)

Old 03-17-2011, 12:41 AM
old ugly
Senior User
Hi Ken I went with manual clutch, it was very easy to do as the 56 clutch pulls on clutch arm from behind and the Dodge hydrolic unit pushed from the front so all I had to do was drill a hole in the clutch arm. I really hate hydrolic clutches, would only use one as a last resort.
I assume that 7.3's and 6.0's are both diesels? What is the chassis that you are using from? If it had a gas engine in it before your gearing will be wrong for a diesel.

Old 03-17-2011, 07:00 AM
Ken Newman
Laughing Gas
The frame is from a 2005 F350. The axles are from a 2006 F550 and it was a diesel. The gear ratios are 4.88s. 7.3s and 6.0s are both diesels. I have all the parts to put together a 460 gas engine but I really want to go diesel if I can.

Old 03-17-2011, 11:37 PM
old ugly
Senior User
Hi Ken Looks like your about set to go diesel. I was looking for a 460 with a 5 over for old ugly but this 5.9 came along at a decent price so I got it instead. At that time the local wreckers wanted from $4 to $4400.00 for just the engine. I got every thing I could possibly use out of the Dodge P/U for $3500.00 and the guy pulled it all out and loaded it into my P/U.
I basically bought Old Ugly for $100.00 back in about 83, but it had sat in the weeds for quite awhile. The cab was in good shape but the fenders and running boards had a lot of rust damage. Also I think the fenders had hit every power pole between here and Winnipeg. I have spent hundreds of hours on them and still not finished. Probably a good body man could do the same in a week, but I would sooner do it myself.

Old 03-17-2011, 11:59 PM
Ken Newman
Laughing Gas
Rod, you have a private message.

Old 04-10-2011, 12:11 AM
Ken Newman
Laughing Gas
Hey guys,
How's things going? It snowed all around my house today (In Arizona). That's unusual especially in April. I finally got to meet a guy who has quite a collection of COE parts. He is restoring a real nice C800 Big Job with air brakes. He has the rear cab mounts so I am going to buy a set from him. He knows quite a bit about them if you need any questions answered. I'm still looking for an engine for mine. I am looking for an International DT360 diesel. They came in a lot of the school buses up until 1993. You guys made any progress on you trucks?

Old 04-10-2011, 12:50 AM
old ugly
Senior User
Originally Posted by Ken Newman
Hey guys,
How's things going? It snowed all around my house today (In Arizona). That's unusual especially in April. I finally got to meet a guy who has quite a collection of COE parts. He is restoring a real nice C800 Big Job with air brakes. He has the rear cab mounts so I am going to buy a set from him. He knows quite a bit about them if you need any questions answered. I'm still looking for an engine for mine. I am looking for an International DT360 diesel. They came in a lot of the school buses up until 1993. You guys made any progress on you trucks?
Hi Ken How ya doing? I've seen fairly heavy snow fall in Arizona but I guess it depends on where you live. Will have go to google and see what part you are in.
Have you been to see this guy? Actually seeing things would be better than a picture. Did you also find the hood latches?
The snow has finally gone here but still cold and rainy but a few nice days. My shop is fairly small and has too much junk in it. I have the coe in there but can't close the door so need nice weather, don't like the cold. Been doing some wiring on coe. Made a hidden swing out fuse panel for it so I can see fuses when standing on ground or sitting on the top step.
Also doing the brakes on my M-350 and playing around on here. Been playing around so much I can't remember how to post pics on here, damn memory anyhow.
Bye for now - Rod

Old 04-10-2011, 12:16 PM
Ken Newman
Laughing Gas
The snow was in the east Phoenix/Mesa area. The Superstition Mountains were covered with it. I did go see his stuff. In fact there is a complete Big Job in Mesa that's for sale for $1850.00 so I stoped and looked at it also. Here is the link to the Craigslist ad for the 1954 for sale for $1850. The first picture is the Big Job that's for sale.

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/cto/2296318451.html

Old 04-11-2011, 12:33 AM
old ugly
Senior User
Hi Hey Ken - Anytime you look at one of these 53-56 coe's would it be possible to e-mail or PM the basic vin number to me if the owner will part with it?
I used to truck into Arizona 10-12 years ago, I really miss it. With the dry climate there the old vehicles are usually in better shape than anything one finds up here. Between the damper climate and road salt rust is a big issue. A lot better here than Onterio though.
See yea later - Rod

Old 04-11-2011, 03:16 AM
iwanaflattie
Fleet Mechanic

Received 30 Likes on 8 Posts
id be interested in a 51-52 coe hood

Old 04-15-2011, 11:39 PM
Ken Newman
Laughing Gas
He says that two of the three VINs have an L for the last letter. He can't find the title for the 3rd one.

Old 04-16-2011, 12:30 AM
old ugly
Senior User
Originally Posted by Ken Newman
He says that two of the three VINs have an L for the last letter. He can't find the title for the 3rd one.
Hi Ken and thanks for the info. I plan to e-mail Carl when time permits. According to my books "L" indicates Long Beach, Ca., very interesting. Maybe he could check the right frame rail for third vin number. It should be on top of the frame under the cab and also between front spring shackles. Will pass that along when I e-mail him.
We should introduce him to this site if you haven't already. It looks like he is doing a very nice job on his truck.
I gather Carl is the person with spare parts. Did you manage to get hood latches from him?
Bye for now-Rod

Quick Reply: Bolt hole measurement