1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Barely passed emissions test... Please advise me on how to clean up emissions

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2011, 11:40 PM
The assassin Blevins
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Barely passed emissions test... Please advise me on how to clean up emissions

Hi. I have a 97 Powerstroke with a 3 1/2" exhaust from the turbo back. It's a straight pipe other than a gutted cat which I left on to pass visual inspections during the emissions testing process. I have no muffler. Anyway... I just barely passed the emissions test and the guy told me my truck is running very dirty. So I'm wondering if this is an indication that some part of the truck needs attention??? (other than the gutted cat of course). Please advise. Thanks.

Old 03-10-2011, 12:17 AM
BuckHammer
Cargo Master

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts
I'm no expert on emissions (I live in Indiana), but you passed the emissions test without a cat? Haha, I'd be thankful just for that!

Old 03-10-2011, 04:18 AM
Copedawg
Lead Driver

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
X2 what Joseph said. Where do you live?...What state? Most places just do the visual if they do anything at all. How long is you smog test good for? 2 years?

Old 03-10-2011, 05:00 AM
Talyn
Hotshot
Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts
yeah, that is most impressive.

So amusing how strict they are on diesels when diesels are said to run cleaner than gas engines.

Old 03-10-2011, 05:00 AM
Talyn
Hotshot
yeah, that is most impressive.

So amusing how strict they are on diesels when diesels are said to run cleaner than gas engines.

Old 03-10-2011, 05:04 AM
Copedawg
Lead Driver

That was worth saying 2wice,
"William, the King of double talk" lol

Old 03-10-2011, 05:14 AM
Talyn
Hotshot
At least I'm not back peddling on what I say, its always the same thing. $

Old 03-10-2011, 05:26 AM
Copedawg
Lead Driver

LOL, I mean't double talk as in double posting. Someone said something about it once and ever since I have noticed. In reality you like 5000 posts?...you know I am just teasen w/you William.

Old 03-10-2011, 06:14 AM
DZL JIM
PREMIUM SPONSOR
Received 183 Likes on 83 Posts
Here in OH they run the older trucks on the dyno and sniff the pipe.
I just had my '97 done yesterday. They allow 20% opacity reading, my truck registered 0.0%.
NO cat, straight pipe, Stage-1 injectors in 140 hp tune.

Yes, it's a joke here....

I've had my black truck with huge injectors, twin turbos, hot tuning, whatever, and it passes no where near 20% opacity.

Was your test a sniffer or OBDII test?
What state?

'17 6.7 F-250 KR ccsb 4x4
Old 03-10-2011, 08:32 AM
Talyn
Hotshot
Originally Posted by Copedawg
LOL, I mean't double talk as in double posting. Someone said something about it once and ever since I have noticed. In reality you like 5000 posts?...you know I am just teasen w/you William.
I know bro. =)
It was early, it is a dry humor time that early in the morning. =)

The double post thing is funny sometimes. haha.

Old 03-10-2011, 10:18 AM
The assassin Blevins
Freshman User
Originally Posted by DZL JIM
Here in OH they run the older trucks on the dyno and sniff the pipe.
I just had my '97 done yesterday. They allow 20% opacity reading, my truck registered 0.0%.
NO cat, straight pipe, Stage-1 injectors in 140 hp tune.

Yes, it's a joke here....

I've had my black truck with huge injectors, twin turbos, hot tuning, whatever, and it passes no where near 20% opacity.

Was your test a sniffer or OBDII test?
What state?
Hi. I live in Idaho. He hooked up to my computer AND put a device up the tail pipe of the truck. He claims the test is good for two years. I also forgot to mention I had my pcu reprogrammed to add 80 hp. I'll check the paperwork but I'm pretty sure it says 40% opacity allowed and the truck did not pass the first time but then barely passed on the second attempt with 38% opacity. Is there any chance this is a sign of injector problems? I heard previously these trucks should pass without a muffler or cat and since yours seems to run so clean it makes me wonder...

Old 03-10-2011, 10:41 AM
makomark
Senior User
If it is running 'dirty' the cause is likely too much fuel or too much blowby. Too much fuel could be due to a computer sensor having an issue or maybe a leaking injector. Too much blowby is usually due to a tired engine.

I'd start by getting a good scan tool and seeing what's going on with the computer

Old 03-10-2011, 10:50 AM
The assassin Blevins
Freshman User
Originally Posted by makomark
If it is running 'dirty' the cause is likely too much fuel or too much blowby. Too much fuel could be due to a computer sensor having an issue or maybe a leaking injector. Too much blowby is usually due to a tired engine.

I'd start by getting a good scan tool and seeing what's going on with the computer
Ok thank you. The truck only has 95k on it so I hope it's less serious than a tired motor... But I'll keep my fingers crossed. I assume the scan tool is something I can purchase at a local parts shop???

Old 03-10-2011, 11:01 AM
makomark
Senior User
I think the 97's are OBDII compliant so most readily available tools should work. I'd to the try-before-you-buy, if possible. Make sure it will read the OEM PIDS, not just the basic (generic) OBDII codes. Some tools will have that capability in an 'extra' software package. The PIDS (parameter ID's) let you 'see' what the sensor provides to the computer. FWIW, most of the pre-97 OBS guys here are happy with the AutoEnginuity "bundled" solution.

Old 03-10-2011, 11:18 AM
The assassin Blevins
Freshman User
Originally Posted by makomark
I think the 97's are OBDII compliant so most readily available tools should work. I'd to the try-before-you-buy, if possible. Make sure it will read the OEM PIDS, not just the basic (generic) OBDII codes. Some tools will have that capability in an 'extra' software package. The PIDS (parameter ID's) let you 'see' what the sensor provides to the computer. FWIW, most of the pre-97 OBS guys here are happy with the AutoEnginuity "bundled" solution.
Thank you for your help. Last question... for now. Lol. What does OBDII stand for?

Quick Reply: Barely passed emissions test... Please advise me on how to clean up emissions