Notices
2009 - 2014 F150 Discuss the 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ford F150
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser

Next Generation F-150. (What would you like to see?)

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2011, 11:14 AM
flisom
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Raptor

I would like to see the F150 redesigned with some of the Raptor styling.

Someone mentioned the grab handle for the driver side. I just traded in my 02 F150 FX4 for a 11 F150 FX4 and really miss the handle.

Old 03-09-2011, 04:29 PM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,221 Likes on 803 Posts
Originally Posted by MCDavis
Tim, are you hinting at a truck based off the new Explorer platform? Honestly, I would have to agree with you somewhat on this one. If you think about what 90% of the light duty/half ton truck owners out there do with their trucks, a unibody truck fits the bill. Sure it's not the most appealing from a "truck" standpoint, but if it meant lighter weight, better ride, could still take 1000-1500lbs in the bed, and could capably/safely tow 8000lbs then what more would a light duty/half ton owner need?
I actually considered the Ridgeline this past summer in my search, but I just couldn't get past the exterior looks. It fit my needs perfectly across the rest of my search though, aside from needing a slightly longer bed.
I wouldn't necessarily say quite that small but similar in nature.

WOW! I was really expecting to get hammered for my post! C'mon guys, keep this great thread rolling with more awesome ideas.

Old 03-09-2011, 04:35 PM
StreetsideStig
Freshman User
A small unibody truck is certainly an interesting idea. I can't help but thinking that the industry is going that direction. It seems like every truck has to have comfortable seating for the whole family, and all the SUVs are going unibody. With all the CUVs coming out, I don't think it's a unibody truck is impossible, or even a bad idea.

...As long as it stays R/A/4WD.

Old 03-09-2011, 05:43 PM
640 CI Aluminum FORD
Fleet Mechanic
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by tseekins
But, to be totally honest with you guys, I think the future of trucks is changing in a away that many purists will not like. I personally believe that F-150 will eventually become unibody trucks, front wheel drive with locking rear axle and will take on the persona of a heavier duty Honda Ridgeline type of vehicle. For those that need / want more, the SD will answer the call.
I am one of the purist I am afraid. I really don't like the idea of a watered down Unibody Front wheeler F-150. Hopefully IMO it will never come to that. After I get my 2011 FX4 I'll hang on to that for 15 or 20 years before I'll be in the market for a new truck again. If at that time, that is what the F-150 has become, I'll most likely start looking into the Base Model Superduty lineup.

But alas...The only one's who know what the future holds for the F-150 are those who are designing them now.

However to be all honest I don't know how well a true Unibody Front Wheel Drive F-150 would fly with the Ford Truck Community. For example, I came across this thread on another site a few months ago. Someone on it suggjested that the F-150 should go Unibody like the Honda Ridgeline and the memebers of that site crucified him.

(Here's the thread)
Should the F-150 go unibody? - F150online Forums

Old 03-09-2011, 08:00 PM
MCDavis
Hotshot
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by 640 CI Aluminum FORD
I am one of the purist I am afraid. I really don't like the idea of a watered down Unibody Front wheeler F-150. Hopefully IMO it will never come to that. After I get my 2011 FX4 I'll hang on to that for 15 or 20 years before I'll be in the market for a new truck again. If at that time, that is what the F-150 has become, I'll most likely start looking into the Base Model Superduty lineup.

But alas...The only one's who know what the future holds for the F-150 are those who are designing them now.

However to be all honest I don't know how well a true Unibody Front Wheel Drive F-150 would fly with the Ford Truck Community. For example, I came across this thread on another site a few months ago. Someone on it suggjested that the F-150 should go Unibody like the Honda Ridgeline and the memebers of that site crucified him.

(Here's the thread)
Should the F-150 go unibody? - F150online Forums
The unibody discussion is an interesting one that can be argued for years. Literally. There are some good unibody construction vehicles out there i.e. XJ and ZJ Jeeps have been unibody for years. They're still pretty good off the pavement, even in stock setup. IIRC isn't the HUMVEE (original Hummer, military spec) unibody too? Sure there are plenty of unibody designs that are horrible, but simply because something is unibody does not automatically rule it incapable.
So it's definitely possible to make a strong unibody chassis, but is it worth it to Ford? Time will tell. Ford ultimately has to play its cards in favor of the masses, and not the 1%ers (like many of us here). The SD trucks are there for a reason, and if you need big hauling capacity, you'll ultimately end up there without even thinking half-ton. BUT for the 90% of the half-ton market that spend most of the week commuting in their trucks, grabbing a load of mulch and some household items on the weekends, and needs something with some size that can haul the family and gear, then yes I think a lighter, slightly slimmer, more efficient unibody truck is a good idea.

I for one would love to see the trucks go on a diet, but I understand why they are heavier. I'll gladly sacrifice a little efficiency if my occupant's safety is at its highest.

Old 03-09-2011, 08:23 PM
Arctic Fox
Senior User
Next Generation F-150. What would I like to see?, my new 2011 F150 Lariat 6.2L be delivered some time next week as they are telling me....for crying out loud, THE WAITING IS KILLING ME!!!!

uhmmm, sorry about that, I'm just a little excited as you could see. Thanks for understanding.

I do wish FoMoCo would try to cater to their customers a little more and offer any engine options, packages, etc across all the lines so that everyone could benefit regardless of budget and build their own custom dream. The F150 has been the best selling vehicle for how long now? Ford really should give a little back now for the loyalty the customers have shown over time and offer better choices for everyone.

Old 03-09-2011, 08:59 PM
tseekins
Super Moderator
I didn't mean to steer us top far of course but a front drive F-150 isn't too far beyond the realm of possibility.

I also like Dodge's bed compartments, likewise Nissan did a nice lower storage on the Titan.

I think an optional onboard air compressor would be cool too.

Old 03-09-2011, 09:03 PM
powerstroke72
Super Moderator
Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts
I hope that Ford doesn't go that far off in left field Tim. The front wheel drive, that is.

I think they risk alienating a lot of truck customers if they make a unibody truck with front wheel drive and hang an F-150 badge on it. Now coming out with a Ranger replacement like that wouldn't be as bad.

Truck buyers are fiercely loyal and dropping a bomb like that on loyal Ford customers could potentially drive away more sales than it ever gains them.

Old 03-09-2011, 10:26 PM
640 CI Aluminum FORD
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by MCDavis
The unibody discussion is an interesting one that can be argued for years. Literally. There are some good unibody construction vehicles out there i.e. XJ and ZJ Jeeps have been unibody for years. They're still pretty good off the pavement, even in stock setup. IIRC isn't the HUMVEE (original Hummer, military spec) unibody too? Sure there are plenty of unibody designs that are horrible, but simply because something is unibody does not automatically rule it incapable.
So it's definitely possible to make a strong unibody chassis, but is it worth it to Ford? Time will tell. Ford ultimately has to play its cards in favor of the masses, and not the 1%ers (like many of us here). The SD trucks are there for a reason, and if you need big hauling capacity, you'll ultimately end up there without even thinking half-ton. BUT for the 90% of the half-ton market that spend most of the week commuting in their trucks, grabbing a load of mulch and some household items on the weekends, and needs something with some size that can haul the family and gear, then yes I think a lighter, slightly slimmer, more efficient unibody truck is a good idea.

I for one would love to see the trucks go on a diet, but I understand why they are heavier. I'll gladly sacrifice a little efficiency if my occupant's safety is at its highest.
Oh yeah, I mean I actually took an old Jeep Comanche Pickup up threw some mountains in New Mexico last July and it was very capable offroad despite being a unibody design. And beleive me, the whole point of the trip was for offroad recreation so I was looking for the hardest possible route to take. Keep in mind the particular rig I took was slightly modified with a lift and larger tires. But other than that it was all stock. It went threw every mud hole, riverbed and hillside (Except for one) without much complaint.

I think I would feel more comfortable with a Unibody setup if it was done in this manner and not like a (Ridgeline). If they kept the F-150 a RWD/4WD setup with a very Jeep like Unibody setup it may not be such a hard thing to swallow, but if it were done the wrong way, ''And in my book the right way and the wrong way are on a very fine line'' then I would be looking at a baseline Superduty instead.

But as you already stated. Only time will tell what changes will actually be made and what is just speculation.

Old 03-10-2011, 12:19 AM
Power Kid
Elder User
Originally Posted by Power Kid
- Larger fuel tank with EB!!!! No brainer.
- Driver side A pillar grab handle
- A real armrest on buckets... Like my '98. Or raise the center console.
- A recline funtion @ ear crew seats. Lots of room, still lacking enough comfort. Even cheap rear Escape seats recline for years now...
- 4wd **** that lights up
- Hydraulic/liquid fillied body mounts.
- 6.2L available in more trim levels. (FX4 for starters)
- Enhance the 6.2L with 4v heads.
- Ultimate dream scenario: EB 6.2L (heck I'd take a EB of any size if it was a V8 so I could enjoy the new kick azz V8 sound)
- 5.0L available with max tow pkg
- Smoked tails with no clear edge that looks white.
- LED 3rd brake light (Raptor) and LED tails at least optional.
- NO GOOFY LED DRLs like the new edge..
- New mount for front License plate on EB trucks thats not off center.
- Tilt/Telescoping wheel that tilts higher than '11s.
- High end stereo where sub doesn't cut out at higher volumes.
- Trailer wiring plugs mounted higher, not below and in from bumper edge.
- Neutral setting on 4wd models.
- E-locker that can be engaged while in 2wd (Raptor)
- Make power folding TT mirrors an option for max tow trucks.
- Would like to see a bump in GAWRs.

I'm sure I'll think of more.

Ah I remember now... A dead pedal would be great! Find a way to make it work with the parking brake.

Old 03-10-2011, 12:22 AM
AlaskanEx
Bleed Ford Blue

Received 128 Likes on 43 Posts
the only real thing that bothers me with unibodys is how much less damage it takes to total one out compared to a body on frame car/truck. also when they are repaired they dont allways come out so great.

i just like my separate frame and body.

Old 03-10-2011, 02:27 AM
640 CI Aluminum FORD
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by AlaskanEx
the only real thing that bothers me with unibodys is how much less damage it takes to total one out compared to a body on frame car/truck. also when they are repaired they dont allways come out so great.

i just like my separate frame and body.
This is kinda how I see it to. A few years ago I got into an accident (I was with a friend in her car which happened to be a Unibody design) We crashed into an old buick who cut ran a red light. Needless to say the driver of the buick was able to remove his fender and drive the car home. My friends car however was so contorted that it couldn't even move under its own power. Even after her car was repaird it still never was quite right. It always had tracking issues after that and countless squeaks and rattles arose that never went away.

Old 03-10-2011, 04:08 AM
fonefiddy
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
IMO Ford will never go to a Unibody F150.

The 150 does need a serious diet though. The main problem is that the market has steered them from a work vehicle, to a people hauler.

Old 03-10-2011, 05:25 AM
peety37
Freshman User
UNIBODY. WOW I guess you'd better get use to keeping your windows down when you haul something. Can remember when ford did that back in the 60's. what a disaster. You would put a load in the bed and then you couldn't open the doors. Whats next, coil springs on the rear like FIAT oops, I mean Dodge

Old 03-10-2011, 05:47 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
I'm no real fan of a unibody truck either but the argument that it won't hold up in a collision is just wrong. How many decades have we had unibody cars on the road?

And then to compare modern unibodies with those from the 60's would suggest that we haven't evolved as car builders.

You guys mark my words. Honda kicked that door wide open with the Ridgeline.

Quick Reply: Next Generation F-150. (What would you like to see?)