Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Truck

Old 03-08-2011, 09:36 AM
nstueve
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
oh and welcome to FTE Buck!

Old 03-08-2011, 09:41 AM
SideWinder4.9l
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
If there were some way of putting a counter on the front hubs, I'd wager even the early 80's trucks aren't usually locked in more than 5-10 times from the time they're new.....Now if you live in a snowy area, fine, but no use in it if its a pavement queen.....

Personally, I think 4x4 is nice, but in the instances I have been stuck, the 4x4 would have only complicated matters, cos at least you still have some control in a 2wd (Snow drifting/sliding), in the 4x4, once all 4 wheel start freespinning, you're screwed....

Plus it literally pisses me off to see people paying for something they technically don't NEED....The money spent on the 4x4 swap could easily tune the whole truck up, or drop it like I am doing to mine...

Its your truck, your money, but its just free, friendly advice...

-Wes

Old 03-08-2011, 10:06 AM
zxwut?
Fleet Mechanic
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by SideWinder4.9l
If there were some way of putting a counter on the front hubs, I'd wager even the early 80's trucks aren't usually locked in more than 5-10 times from the time they're new.....Now if you live in a snowy area, fine, but no use in it if its a pavement queen.....

Personally, I think 4x4 is nice, but in the instances I have been stuck, the 4x4 would have only complicated matters, cos at least you still have some control in a 2wd (Snow drifting/sliding), in the 4x4, once all 4 wheel start freespinning, you're screwed....

If you're sliding, 4wd will help to take the front end the direction you want. In the 2wd, the front will just slide in the direction of the momentum of the truck, regardless of where you point the tires.

Plus it literally pisses me off to see people paying for something they technically don't NEED....The money spent on the 4x4 swap could easily tune the whole truck up, or drop it like I am doing to mine...

You're being conflicting here. You say you hate people spending money on something they don't NEED, yet you're lowering your truck? That's a little hypocritical.

Its your truck, your money, but its just free, friendly advice...

-Wes
If you really didn't like spending money on stuff you didn't NEED, you wouldn't have a tv, vehicle, running water, a toilet, etc etc...
What are the basic necessities again? Food, water, shelter? There's nothing wrong with wanting something and working to get it.

Old 03-08-2011, 10:09 AM
ptboi94
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Try adding a turbo. There was a thread a little bit ago about puting a turbo on the inline six.

Old 03-08-2011, 10:13 AM
SideWinder4.9l
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by zxwut?
If you really didn't like spending money on stuff you didn't NEED, you wouldn't have a tv, vehicle, running water, a toilet, etc etc...
What are the basic necessities again? Food, water, shelter? There's nothing wrong with wanting something and working to get it.

Alright, ya got me...lol
I was meaning, that if he doesn't need the 4x4, he could easily use it to further the truck in other regards....Yes, I do not NEED my truck lowered, but I am doing it for more than personal reasons......Everything that I have read about a lowered truck lends me to believe it is gonna save a bit of gas, maybe not much, but some....But yes, I agree, I was being somewhat of a hypocrite.....Didn't mean it completely like that...Ask my GF, I'm horrible with words.....

-Wes

P.S-The bit about people buying stuff they don't need, I mean the ones that get a 4x4, lift it 6", put 35" tires on it, floor it EVERY where they go and then bitch about the MPG's....

Old 03-08-2011, 10:53 AM
nstueve
Postmaster
Originally Posted by SideWinder4.9l
P.S-The bit about people buying stuff they don't need, I mean the ones that get a 4x4, lift it 6", put 35" tires on it, floor it EVERY where they go and then bitch about the MPG's....
x2... Or the ones that will jack it up, put giant **** tires on and a huge HD bumper and winch on the front... Then never take it off the pavement, never use the 4x4, never use the winch, never take it out in snow... Basically spend a load of cash on it and then make it a Garage Queen... and then complain about road noise... Really... I mean Really...

I guess I don't have a lot of cash to blow so if I do buy something at least it will be spent on something that has practicle value... Not to make the truck "look really cool"... Just as a base line I am talking about the guys that have $30K-$60K trucks... Or spend $4000 on a new HD bumper and winch that will never get used... Small visual improvements to improve curb apeal are good...

Anyway I get where you are coming from Sidewinder...

Old 03-08-2011, 10:57 AM
nstueve
Postmaster
Originally Posted by ptboi94
Try adding a turbo. There was a thread a little bit ago about puting a turbo on the inline six.
A turbo is a ton of $$coin$$ for a 16y/o to come up with... which btw buck... Are you in auto shop at your HS??? If it's not offered like at my old HS you might be able to spring for a Comm College auto shop class and learn to do the basics... Swaping cams, rebuilding engines, P&P heads...

I would kinda like to know myself now that you started this thread if there are any projects that will add HP to the I6... I know i have read a post by Paul (sn: conanski) that 300 I6's don't have an aftermarket following for high performance parts... I am curious if there are any proven projects that increase HP and TQ on these old EFI I6's???? and the money vs hp gain ratio???? For that I think we have to go to the 300 I6 forum...

Old 03-08-2011, 05:41 PM
Buck 92
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hog creek work truck
do you have 16" rims?Just asking because the hubcaps are the seven lug type.I,ve got some just like those and they are 16s
Yeah I got the 16' factory rims 7 lug. I spray painted the lugnut covers chrome to make it look half decent for now.

Originally Posted by nstueve
A turbo is a ton of $$coin$$ for a 16y/o to come up with... which btw buck... Are you in auto shop at your HS??? If it's not offered like at my old HS you might be able to spring for a Comm College auto shop class and learn to do the basics... Swaping cams, rebuilding engines, P&P heads...

I would kinda like to know myself now that you started this thread if there are any projects that will add HP to the I6... I know i have read a post by Paul (sn: conanski) that 300 I6's don't have an aftermarket following for high performance parts... I am curious if there are any proven projects that increase HP and TQ on these old EFI I6's???? and the money vs hp gain ratio???? For that I think we have to go to the 300 I6 forum...
Yes sir, I am in Auto Tech. We actually don't do anything involving rebuilding engines or trans, They won't let us get into the fun stuff. My uncle owns a body shop and my Dad has restored a Chevelle and Malibu, So I have some knowledge already.

I have decided to go with rims this style: (Yes, I know these are not 7 lug)

http://http://www.tirerack.com/wheel...All&sort=Brand

I think they will look nice. What do you all think?

I also decided to go with a black grille, clear white headlights, with the black bezels. It is something different that will look good on my truck, I believe.

New tires, wheels, grille, and lights are my main concern right now.

Thanks for all your help, really do appreciate the info.

- Buck.

Old 03-09-2011, 06:22 AM
TexasGuy001
Hotshot
Received 204 Likes on 164 Posts
Another good place to get good deals on parts is Rock Auto. Some other places to keep in mind later are NPD, LMC, and Bronco Graveyard.

Old 03-09-2011, 06:26 AM
TexasGuy001
Hotshot
Originally Posted by Buck 92
Yeah I got the 16' factory rims 7 lug. I spray painted the lugnut covers chrome to make it look half decent for now.

Yes sir, I am in Auto Tech. We actually don't do anything involving rebuilding engines or trans, They won't let us get into the fun stuff. My uncle owns a body shop and my Dad has restored a Chevelle and Malibu, So I have some knowledge already.

I have decided to go with rims this style: (Yes, I know these are not 7 lug)

http://http://www.tirerack.com/wheel...All&sort=Brand

I think they will look nice. What do you all think?

I also decided to go with a black grille, clear white headlights, with the black bezels. It is something different that will look good on my truck, I believe.

New tires, wheels, grille, and lights are my main concern right now.

Thanks for all your help, really do appreciate the info.

- Buck.
How are you running 16 inch 7 lug wheels on a 150?

Thats cool that your in auto tech.

Old 03-09-2011, 09:04 AM
nstueve
Postmaster
Originally Posted by TexasGuy001
Another good place to get good deals on parts is Rock Auto. Some other places to keep in mind later are NPD, LMC, and Bronco Graveyard.
You know what I have discovered lately is that Amazon has the same parts and prices Rockauto.com does and ships for free... Shipping can add up quickly on Rockauto because they have a bunch of distributuion wearhouses. IE you get charged $5-$10 from each shipping source. I always find amazon to be cheaper if you can wait a extra day or two for the part using super saver free shipping... You just have to get your part numbers from Rock auto and type them into amazon.

Oh and WTF????? 7 lug?????? I thought f150's were 5 lug and then 8 lug on f250's and f350's. And chevy's have 6 lug... hmmm. Something seems amiss here............ Do you have 8 lug axles? or 5lug? I just figured you put 8 lug wheel covers over 16in 5 lug steel rims....

Old 03-09-2011, 09:16 AM
zxwut?
Fleet Mechanic
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You know what I have discovered lately is that Amazon has the same parts and prices Rockauto.com does and ships for free... Shipping can add up quickly on Rockauto because they have a bunch of distributuion wearhouses. IE you get charged $5-$10 from each shipping source. I always find amazon to be cheaper if you can wait a extra day or two for the part using super saver free shipping... You just have to get your part numbers from Rock auto and type them into amazon.
I think it's better, imo, to spend my money at rock auto, even if it's 5 bucks more for shipping to keep them open. They have excellent customer service and a huge parts selection to choose from. I also know that my money is going to pay American workers, so that's another big plus.

Old 03-09-2011, 09:31 AM
nstueve
Postmaster
Yeah and I usually do my business with them if it's $5 difference... but if I have a big order like, say... 3 cars needing struts, break pads, end links, tie rods, suspension bushings, shocks, suspension mounts, fuel filters, fuel injectors, water pumps, and timing belts... Well you can see where I am going with this... The difference was way way more than a $5 difference so the free shipping was definatly worth it!

Old 03-10-2011, 12:20 AM
TexasGuy001
Hotshot

Oh and WTF????? 7 lug?????? I thought f150's were 5 lug and then 8 lug on f250's and f350's. And chevy's have 6 lug... hmmm. Something seems amiss here............ Do you have 8 lug axles? or 5lug? I just figured you put 8 lug wheel covers over 16in 5 lug steel rims....
Good point about Amazon having free shipping. I have purchased a few Motorcraft parts there over the years.

Originally Posted by zxwut?
I think it's better, imo, to spend my money at rock auto, even if it's 5 bucks more for shipping to keep them open. They have excellent customer service and a huge parts selection to choose from. I also know that my money is going to pay American workers, so that's another big plus.
I feel the same way.