2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 11-21-2014, 10:56 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all:
Print Wikipost

Transmission Whine

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2011, 07:19 PM
ffdemoss
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Transmission Whine

2008 F150 HD Payload package with 5.4L and 4spd auto, 61,000 miles.

Recently developed a whining sound coming from the transmission or somewhere else in the drivetrain. Does not sound like rear axle because it changes pitch with the change of gears. I proved this by disengaging OD while driving and the whine was higher pitched once the transmission down shifted. I did some other research and found a reference to the #9 bearing going bad in a 4R75 trasnmission in a Crown Victoria. Anyone else heard or seen of this failure. I am going to fight for any repair to be covered by the powertrain warranty even though it just clicked 61,000. The dealer has done ALL maintenance on this truck since it was new (following severe duty recommendations). Thanks.

Old 03-07-2011, 03:19 PM
kameronth
Fleet Mechanic
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
The rear ends on these trucks are notorious for making a whining noise. Mine does it particularly loud around 40 to 50 mph.

Old 03-08-2011, 03:39 PM
tacoma
Freshman User
I had this same issue with my 2008 F150 and it was the #9 bearing (Dealer said it was a known issue. TSB?). The dealer fixed it twice. Once before 15K miles were on the truck and again with another 12K on the truck. I am not sure if it was not repaired correctly the first time but it has not yet come back with the second repair.

Old 03-08-2011, 07:07 PM
ffdemoss
Senior User
I searched all TSB's and didn't find one. The reference I found after more research was it was a Service Message on Ford's Oasis system. I think I am going to argue with the dealer a bit. They told me they really didn't hear it. Did they rebuild your entire transmission or just pull the tail shaft and replace the bearing?

Old 03-10-2011, 08:45 AM
tacoma
Freshman User
Here is what they did as written on the invoice (somewhat vague though). Both times, I was without the truck for about a week.

First Time:
Customer states hears a whinning noise when slowing down the accelling, goes away after vehicle shifts gears
Transmission rear bearing failed
DG noise. Pinpoint to the transmission. Remove transmission mount on bench. Tear down and inspect. Replace #9 bearing check all clearances. Clean and inspect valvebody. Flush cooler and lines. Reassemble and road test.

Second Time:
Cust states trans whinning in early gears. Similar sound to prev concern.Rref RO for repairs.
#9 Torington bearing failed in transmission
Perform trans diag per SSM 597997 controling converter lockup to aid in pinpointing the noise. Remove transmission mount on bench. Dissassemble trans. Replace #9 bearing. Clean and inspect clutches and drums. Replace gaskets and seals. Clean and inspect valve body. Flush cooler and lines. Clean and inspect reusable pan gasket. Reassemble and R/T.

I hope this helps with your problem.

Here is the Bearing PN: 3L3Z-7F242-AA

Old 03-10-2011, 10:28 AM
ffdemoss
Senior User
Originally Posted by tacoma
Here is what they did as written on the invoice (somewhat vague though). Both times, I was without the truck for about a week.

First Time:
Customer states hears a whinning noise when slowing down the accelling, goes away after vehicle shifts gears
Transmission rear bearing failed
DG noise. Pinpoint to the transmission. Remove transmission mount on bench. Tear down and inspect. Replace #9 bearing check all clearances. Clean and inspect valvebody. Flush cooler and lines. Reassemble and road test.

Second Time:
Cust states trans whinning in early gears. Similar sound to prev concern.Rref RO for repairs.
#9 Torington bearing failed in transmission
Perform trans diag per SSM 597997 controling converter lockup to aid in pinpointing the noise. Remove transmission mount on bench. Dissassemble trans. Replace #9 bearing. Clean and inspect clutches and drums. Replace gaskets and seals. Clean and inspect valve body. Flush cooler and lines. Clean and inspect reusable pan gasket. Reassemble and R/T.

I hope this helps with your problem.

Here is the Bearing PN: 3L3Z-7F242-AA
Perfect, I found the SSM for my specific VIN...back to dealer.

21075 4R70/4R75 AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION WHINE NOISE DIAGNOSIS TIP.
VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH A 4R70/4R75 AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION MAY EXHIBIT A WHINE NOISE THAT FOLLOWS WHEEL SPEED. TO PROPERLY DIAGNOSE THE WHINE NOISE, PLACE THE VEHICLE ON A HOIST AND RECREATE THE NOISE USING THE IDS TOGGLE TO CYCLE THE TORQUE CONVERTER ON AND OFF, NOTING ANY CHANGES IN THE NOISE. IF THE NOISE CHANGES SIGNIFICANTLY OR IS REDUCED, CHECK THE NUMBER 9 TORRINGTON BEARING IN THE REAR OF THE TRANSMISSION CASE FOR WEAR OR DAMAGE AND REPLACE AS NECESSARY. THIS NOISE HAS BEEN MISDIAGNOSED ON 4X4 VEHICLES AS A TRANSFER CASE NOISE. FOLLOW SHOP MANUAL SECTION 307-01 FOR DETAILED DRAWINGS OF THE BEARINGS.

Old 12-15-2011, 09:59 AM
ontwo
New User
Thanks for the thread. I just bought my first Ford last night, and the only thing that bothers me is the whine on decel. Gonna take this info to my transmission guy.
Thanks again

Old 12-15-2011, 07:32 PM
abah
Senior User
My 06 f150 transmission whines too, for a long time now. It just hit 70,000 miles. Doesnt ford warranty the powertrain up to 1000,000 miles or something?

Old 01-14-2016, 12:18 PM
siserbluehorse
New User
Originally Posted by ffdemoss
2008 F150 HD Payload package with 5.4L and 4spd auto, 61,000 miles.

Recently developed a whining sound coming from the transmission or somewhere else in the drivetrain. Does not sound like rear axle because it changes pitch with the change of gears. I proved this by disengaging OD while driving and the whine was higher pitched once the transmission down shifted. I did some other research and found a reference to the #9 bearing going bad in a 4R75 trasnmission in a Crown Victoria. Anyone else heard or seen of this failure. I am going to fight for any repair to be covered by the powertrain warranty even though it just clicked 61,000. The dealer has done ALL maintenance on this truck since it was new (following severe duty recommendations). Thanks.
I too got this whining in my transmission just as you are talking about, changed the fluid and filter, there were shavings in the pan, my truck 2007 has 121,000 original miles on it, then it started a small slip in OD, but you could manually pull it down in 2nd gear, and it would go fine, the slipping was not consistent, anyway, called a place to have it looked at, was told the trannie was burnt up, along with torque converter, and I was told this is a big problem in these trannies because of the "planting bearing" falling apart, which will burn it up fast, he has 6 trucks in his shop for the very exact thing, now as a prior Body Shop and Garage owner, mechanic myself, retired, it's hard for me to believe this is what I had, but guess I'm gonna tell them I'm a guinie pig, cost $2,500.00 for repairs, but they drove it on the roll back????? Hmmm would love some feedback on this