Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OE Style Clear Parking Turn Signal Lights (Recall)

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2011, 01:03 PM
Jason Lewis
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have the clear non DOT clears, and it passes inspection everytime !

Old 03-07-2011, 02:43 PM
lmd91343
Senior User
Oh! Sorry to hear that. That is legal overreach.

Originally Posted by drjoe171
Someone suggested taking all the warning stickers off of everything
in the hopes that it would improve the gene pool.

and changing the requirement from showing ID to showing an IQ card
when buying tools and other 'dangerous' things.

Someone stuck their hand UNDER my neighbors riding mower while it was running..lifted the shield covering the blades and stuck their hand under there.

I'M being sued for 1/2 mil because it happened on a corner of MY property 1,000 yards away.

Old 03-07-2011, 02:55 PM
lmd91343
Senior User
Let's be fair here. We don't know the cause of the recall. All we know is "Consequence Summary: DECREASED LIGHTING VISIBILITY MAY RESULT IN A VEHICLE CRASH. " The reason may be user stupidity, not enough light produced, or not enough light reflection. It could be a myriad of other issues.

Ultimately, we choose to drive. As the DMV says, it is a privilege not a right. If you chose to drive, you need to follow the rules of the road. My child and wife are out there driving. They will be safer if everybody follows the rules of the road.

Originally Posted by L. Ward
Once again bureaucracy raises its lovely head. Most likely, someone somewhere had a set in a truck and got in an accident, the accident report noted that the truck had aftermarket lights on it and some lawyer spotted that and said "Hey, I can sue the light manufacturer for a couple million for this being a non-compliant light!!" which also results in the NHSTA being notified of non compliance on the part, and the rest is history. Of course in the process, the real reason for the accident is ignored... whether it being someone didn't have their lights on when they should have, or were driving with burnt out bulbs, or the truck or car just pulled out without looking (in which case 'reflectivity' would have been useless anyways!)

Thats also the reason the clear non-grid ones will eventually be taken off the market, as they have no amber reflectivity either. It's also the reason you can't find a stock style tailight that is clear/white instead of red.

People like that who do stupid stuff and then want to sue/blame it on others remind me of a friend of mines father who used to say "If you need a lawyer and a warning label to tell you not to take a toaster into the bathtub, then maybe you should take a toaster into the bathub!"

Old 03-07-2011, 05:59 PM
SideWinder4.9l
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by dmanlyr
Something about you can't fix stupid comes to mind.... what is it about rotating sharp blades that makes people want to stick body parts in there?

David
"Oohhhhh, looky there.....A penny..."

ROFLMAO

Old 03-08-2011, 03:08 AM
TexasGuy001
Hotshot
Received 205 Likes on 165 Posts
Originally Posted by dmanlyr
I for one would like to see a lot more of this non compliant crap removed from the market place. It has zero place on a road. At night, I am looking for Amber lights / reflectors to place the front of the vehicle and Red lights / reflectors to place the rear end of the vehicle.

Anything else at night on a dark road just confuses the issue, and frankly since we all have to follow the same rules, what gives me, or anyone else the right to disregard basic safety lighting?

BTW - clear lights can be made compliant, so I not against them in paticular, just all non DOT compliant stuff when used on the road.

And I will add, this is nothing new, the Amber and Red lights and reflector standards have been in place for over 40 years!

My two cents, David
I agree that alot of the non compliant stuff really is a problem. Most of those aftermarket tail lights are not bright enough and only a small portion of the tail light lights up. I usually don't care for the stuff like this. These clear parking lights are really about the only thing like this that I like.

I have amber bulbs in them, so they function like the stock ones. At night you can't tell the difference.

I wish that they made replacement lights for our trucks that had the amber reflector on it like the Super Duty trucks from a few years back. If lights like these were available, I'd probably buy some.

Old 03-08-2011, 03:09 AM
TexasGuy001
Hotshot
Originally Posted by Jason Lewis
I have the clear non DOT clears, and it passes inspection everytime !
The box they came in says complies FMVSS 108. So when they were made, some how they were compliant with Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards.

With the amber bulbs, my clear lights are just as bright as the amber ones.

Old 03-08-2011, 05:27 AM
TexasGuy001
Hotshot
Originally Posted by White 97 xlt
I know that. Taiwan is really not exactly the same as China. I didn't really word that correctly. What I meant was that things I have had that said they were made in Taiwan were generally a little better.

Old 03-08-2011, 10:57 AM
Kapusta
Cargo Master
Received 1,715 Likes on 641 Posts
I remember a time when something "Made in Japan" meant it was substandard. It didn't take long before they started producing very high quality products. OTH, chinese made stuff is still crap. They've had plenty of time to improve their shoddy image, more so than it took the Japanese. The only thing has changed is the price, I've noticed that the price of chinese crap is usually on par with domestic products (when you can find them )

Old 03-09-2011, 06:41 AM
TexasGuy001
Hotshot
I wish more stuff was made in Japan instead of China. Also, I remmeber seeing the made in Malaysia and made in Phillipines years ago. It seems nearly everything is made in China. I'm tired of seeing that label.