Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

93-95 AC swap..is it possible ...HELP! Aftermarket Option ????

Old 03-03-2011, 01:46 PM
Gomer1
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
93-95 AC swap..is it possible ...HELP! Aftermarket Option ????

Hi guys , I have a conudrum.... I found a very clean 93 with a 351 everything seems good, It has been restored with all good rust free body parts and sandbalsteed recoated frame. The BIG problem is it does not have A/C , I have a 95 that I would rob the A/C parts out of if I could. But the 95 has a 460, How much work would it take to get A/C in the truck. I am open to any and all suggestions, Is there an aftermarket option ?

Old 03-03-2011, 06:24 PM
redlightning93
Senior User

Everything will swap over except the compressor mount. You could score one from a junk yard to solve that issue. Be sure to replace the receiver/dryer with a new one since the system will be exposed to air. Have a a/c shop recover the refrigerant before starting to disassemble the '95 then you can take it to them to vacuum and recharge after you complete the change over. Your radiator on the '93 probably has a single core and would be too light to handle the a/c. You can swap in the larger rad from the '95 as well.

There are after market kits available but pricey. The OEM air will cool better and fit like it should and since you already have it I would change it over.

Old 03-03-2011, 08:36 PM
Gomer1
Senior User
Originally Posted by redlightning93
Everything will swap over except the compressor mount. You could score one from a junk yard to solve that issue. Be sure to replace the receiver/dryer with a new one since the system will be exposed to air. Have a a/c shop recover the refrigerant before starting to disassemble the '95 then you can take it to them to vacuum and recharge after you complete the change over. Your radiator on the '93 probably has a single core and would be too light to handle the a/c. You can swap in the larger rad from the '95 as well.

There are after market kits available but pricey. The OEM air will cool better and fit like it should and since you already have it I would change it over.
I talked to the local shop and they acted like it was a huge deal and I and I would need a whole new wire harness and all kinds of ****...I was totally confused after talking to them, could you give me a step by step of what it will take..I mean I need something to tell the local mechanic so he will understand I don tneed to replace the entire dash , wiring , whatever else he was talking about
I check on an aftermarket kit and they were around 1100$$ OUCH!
why wouldnt they put A/C in 93????
Thanks for any help it is greatly appreciated!!!

Old 03-04-2011, 07:10 AM
Gomer1
Senior User
bumpety bump

Old 03-04-2011, 08:17 AM
Gomer1
Senior User

I found a donor truck with a 351 what parts will I need to get off of it?

Old 03-04-2011, 10:52 AM
Blue Rebel
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If your 351 is like the one in my 89 it will already have the correct compressor mount, just currently has a dummy pully mounted in the compressors place.

Parts:
-Compressor
-Condesor
-Lines
-Heater box w/ evaporator, heater core, fan
-Dash controls
-Wiring Harness
-Accumulator
-Orifice Tube

You will NOT need a new radiator, the radiator has nothing to do with the air conditioning. Do NOT buy a reciever/drier, that is for a different type of air conditioning system.

Good luck, you will have to tear your whole dash out to get this swap done. Definitly doable, but its gonna be alot of work

Old 03-04-2011, 12:48 PM
redlightning93
Senior User

[quote]
Originally Posted by Blue Rebel
You will NOT need a new radiator, the radiator has nothing to do with the air conditioning system . Do NOT buy a reciever/drier, that is for a different type of air conditioning system.[/quote]
Actually the radiator does not have anything to do with the a/c system but try using a radiator that is too small and see what happens when you use your a/c in really hot weather.

Since when did our a/c system not need a dryer?

Ford F Series Trucks A/C Accumulator/Drier | Part Number: 60-30727 | Discount AC Parts

Old 03-04-2011, 01:05 PM
Gomer1
Senior User
How come the aftermarket kits make it seem so easy
AMA Automotive Air Conditioning Parts & Equipment - Compressors Condensers Accumulators Expansion Va: Truck (Full Size)
The rep from this company told me there was only 1 wire to hook up...
Have any of you guys ever heard or this company???
The rep said he puts them in in about 2.5 hrs

Old 03-04-2011, 01:58 PM
redlightning93
Senior User

This is a very good company but I still would rather have an OEM system that is in good working order. It will be some work to swap it over but the end result will be worth your time.

And yes, he probably does install them in 2.5 hrs given the fact that he does this for a living time after time. I can guarantee that you will triple that time or more since this will be your first install.

Old 03-04-2011, 04:06 PM
Gomer1
Senior User
This is a very good company but I still would rather have an OEM system that is in good working order. It will be some work to swap it over but the end result will be worth your time.

And yes, he probably does install them in 2.5 hrs given the fact that he does this for a living time after time. I can guarantee that you will triple that time or more since this will be your first install.
Thanks for the input on the company..good to know, I still dont understand why an OEM swap is so much more difficult than an aftermarket system, why does the OEM swap require new wireharness when the aftmarket hooks right with one wire? no new harness required.

Old 03-04-2011, 04:51 PM
redlightning93
Senior User

Originally Posted by Gomer1
Thanks for the input on the company..good to know, I still dont understand why an OEM swap is so much more difficult than an aftermarket system, why does the OEM swap require new wireharness when the aftmarket hooks right with one wire? no new harness required.
I doubt you will need a new wiring harness. If you have a donor truck ,as indicated in your earlier post, it will just be a matter of swapping all components from the donor to the non a/c truck. I was selling new Ford Trucks in the early '90's and we added many factory a/c's to trucks that were ordered without factory air. I do not remember having to change out any wiring harness. I believe all the necessary wiring and connectors will be in your non a/c truck.

Here is basically the components you will swap over:
Condenser (mounted in front of radiator)
Compressor (mounted to engine)
Evaporator Housing (mounted on firewall and contains the evaporator core)
A/C Accumulator/Drier(yes, it does have one and be sure to install a new one)
All Manifold Hoses(connects to compressor and evaporator core)
Orifice Tube(installs in inlet to evaporator and replace with new one)
Heater/ac Control Head(mounted in dash and replaces non a/c head)

I am sure that I am leaving some items out but if you have the donor it will be easy to see which components you will need to swap over. Once everthing is installed you will need to have an air conditioner shop pull a deep vacuum, check for leaks and install the proper amount of refrigerant.

If you are mechanically inclined and have basic tools you can accomplish this.

Old 03-04-2011, 06:43 PM
Gomer1
Senior User
I doubt you will need a new wiring harness. If you have a donor truck ,as indicated in your earlier post, it will just be a matter of swapping all components from the donor to the non a/c truck. I was selling new Ford Trucks in the early '90's and we added many factory a/c's to trucks that were ordered without factory air. I do not remember having to change out any wiring harness. I believe all the necessary wiring and connectors will be in your non a/c truck.

Here is basically the components you will swap over:
Condenser (mounted in front of radiator)
Compressor (mounted to engine)
Evaporator Housing (mounted on firewall and contains the evaporator core)
A/C Accumulator/Drier(yes, it does have one and be sure to install a new one)
All Manifold Hoses(connects to compressor and evaporator core)
Orifice Tube(installs in inlet to evaporator and replace with new one)
Heater/ac Control Head(mounted in dash and replaces non a/c head)

I am sure that I am leaving some items out but if you have the donor it will be easy to see which components you will need to swap over. Once everthing is installed you will need to have an air conditioner shop pull a deep vacuum, check for leaks and install the proper amount of refrigerant.

If you are mechanically inclined and have basic tools you can accomplish this.
Great info! Thank You did you happen to see my other post about the power windows and locks? same deal, I have a donor with all the power stuff I was hoping all I would have to do is swap the door guts and the wires would be there to turn a non power door windo truck into one, But I have now idea, By trade I am a Heavy equipment operator and unless I was working on a D6R or 330 Excavator I am not the most mechanically inclined. But I have friends who are ....make for good trades Little dozer work for some truck work

Old 03-04-2011, 08:40 PM
Blue Rebel
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Went out and checked, and your right, my non AC 89 has a plug there for the compressor, probably has all the other needed wiring also.

And both my 95s came stock w/ ac and a single row radiator, one had the I6 and my current one has a 302. Neither had cooling problems.... Of course im in WI and your in AL lol.

The Reciever/drier is for a Thermostatic Expansion Valve type AC system. You normally find this type on semi trucks and heavy equipment (bulldozers). These truck have a Fixed Orifice Tube system, and therefor use whats called an accumulator. almost the same thing, but not quite. Far as I know there is no such thing as an "accumulator/drier" Its either one or the other.