6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

2003 HPOP Parts List Needed, Please Help!

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2011, 12:24 PM
slorider
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 HPOP Parts List Needed, Please Help!

Well, my truck suddenly died last week while driving on the freeway and would not re-start. The local shop determined that it was the high pressure oil pump (HPOP) and wanted $1,800 to repair the truck. Although, since I have a good mechanical background I'm going to jump in and tackle the job myself.

For the past few days I've been searching and reading all the info I can on the pump replacement, although have not been able to find a parts list and their numbers for this job. Even the online part suppliers don't list many of the need gaskets and seals on their sites. Below are the parts and numbers I have so far, if I'm missing something please let me know...I would really, really appreciate it. I'm trying to get the truck back together this weekend. The truck is a 2003 F250 with the 6.0. Thank you in advance!

Part Description Ford Part Number

High pressure oil pump (HPOP): 4C3Z-9A543-AARM
HPOP filter screen: 3C3Z-6C683-AB
Intake gaskets with EGR Boot: 3C3Z-9433-AA
Silicone Sealant, Gray: TA-29
Turbo mounting kit: 3C3Z-9T514-AD
Updated turbo drain tube: 6C3z-9T515-A

Upper oil cooler gasket: 3c3z-6619-AA
Middle oil cooler gasket: 3c3z-6619-BA
Lower oil cooler gasket: 3c3z-6619-EA

Turbo oil feed gasket & o-rings no part number: included in turbo mounting kit

HPOP cover seal Does this just use the silicone sealant?

Last edited by slorider; 03-08-2011 at 12:31 PM. Reason: Added part numbers
Old 03-03-2011, 12:49 PM
sandrat
Posting Guru
A lot of the gaskets will come with what you have there already. Like the HPOP cover gasket SHOULD come with the new HPOP if you get it from Ford (mind you, I say should. I've been forcefully violated by Ford before on what parts are SUPPOSED to come as a kit...and don't.) Turbo mount kit has the oil inlet gasket in the kit. Only thing I can think of that's kind of big is make sure you check the IPR for damage when you remove it. It has a metal screen on the end that will be damaged if metal from the pump failure made it's way through the IPR. If you see damage to the screen, replace it. Also, check the ICP sensor connector while you're in there. It sucks to do when the turbo is in, and now would be the best time to check for a connector failing (they have problems) and possibly even replace the IPC (kind of a nit picky thing, I know, but I just hate doing it with the truck all together. And since ICP sensors never go bad.... ) Other than that, I'm not seeing anything missing, as long as the intake gasket kit comes with all you're EGR cooler to y-pipe gaskets and the large black o-ring for the intake to front cover. Yeah, don't forget to put that in. That sucks. Or so I've heard.

Old 03-03-2011, 01:10 PM
slorider
Senior User
Sandrat, thanks for the quick reply. After looking more into the intake gasket kit it does look like it comes with the all the needed EGR seals and the big oring as well. The dealer replaced the IPC under warranty a few years back so that is already taken care of and I will definitely check the IPR for damage once I get the turbo off.

One thing I can't find is the oil cooler gasket part number. Shouldn't that gasket be replaced as well since I will be replacing the HPOP filter screen... that's where it's located correct???? I've read so many posts over the past few days everything is beginning to run together.

Old 03-03-2011, 02:51 PM
sandrat
Posting Guru
You mean the oval shaped screen under the oil cooler that fits into the block, right? I suppose it wouldn't be a bad idea, might even consider replacing the cooler as long as you're going to the time and effort to remove it. Not too many problems with them on 03's, but it there's metal in there, it might not be a bad idea. If you get a new cooler, it will come with the gasket. You can buy the whole cooler assembly that comes with the top cover, or you can just get the element part that comes with all the seals and gaskets as well as instructions for replacement. Can't remember the base number off the top of my head, but you should be able to find it either through some digging online or just ask a friendly local dealer!

Old 03-03-2011, 04:27 PM
slorider
Senior User
Originally Posted by sandrat
You mean the oval shaped screen under the oil cooler that fits into the block, right? I suppose it wouldn't be a bad idea, might even consider replacing the cooler as long as you're going to the time and effort to remove it. Not too many problems with them on 03's, but it there's metal in there, it might not be a bad idea. If you get a new cooler, it will come with the gasket. You can buy the whole cooler assembly that comes with the top cover, or you can just get the element part that comes with all the seals and gaskets as well as instructions for replacement. Can't remember the base number off the top of my head, but you should be able to find it either through some digging online or just ask a friendly local dealer!
Yep that's the one, I was going to replace it due to all the reports of how brittle the original design was. Does the gasket at the bottom of the oil cooler need to be replaced or is it reusable and should the other ones in the cooler be replaced as well? I would love to replace the entire cooler while I'm in there, although it not in the budget right now and I need to get the truck back and running ASAP since its a daily driver for me.

Old 03-03-2011, 04:51 PM
sandrat
Posting Guru
It's reccommended by ford to replace it, buuuttt.... I think you could get away with reusing it, just be careful when removing the cooler not to tear it. And you're gonna want to have a drain pan right up in the engine compartment with you when you pull the cooler out, it WILL leave a mess!

Old 03-03-2011, 05:22 PM
slorider
Senior User
It's reccommended by ford to replace it, buuuttt.... I think you could get away with reusing it, just be careful when removing the cooler not to tear it. And you're gonna want to have a drain pan right up in the engine compartment with you when you pull the cooler out, it WILL leave a mess!
Thanks for the heads up regarding the oil spill mess, I'll be sure to have a drain pain handy. I think I'll just order a new one with the rest of the parts, with my luck if I don't I'll be sure to tear the gasket.

Old 03-03-2011, 05:59 PM
m-chan68
Lead Driver

Received 229 Likes on 165 Posts
The part number for the whole oil cooler that includes the top cover and core fully assembled (as well as the screen under the oil cooler) is 3C3Z-6A642-BB.

If you want the oil cooler KIT that includes ALL gaskets and o-rings along with the screen is 3C3Z-6A642-CA.

Old 03-03-2011, 06:03 PM
m-chan68
Lead Driver

And you're gonna want to have a drain pan right up in the engine compartment with you when you pull the cooler out, it WILL leave a mess!
If you remove the high pressure oil pump cover, along with the pump itself first, most of the oil inside the reservoir will drain into the crankcase through the high pressure oil pump inlet, when the pump is removed. Doing this BEFORE removing the oil cooler assembly will prevent the huge spill mess you would make if you were the remove the oil cooler first.

Old 03-03-2011, 06:07 PM
m-chan68
Lead Driver

Furthermore, being an '03 model year, I highly recommend replacing the high pressure oil pump cover (3C3Z-9G805-AA) along with the discharge tube (3C3Z-9T288-AA) if you don't already have the updated cover assembly with the machined channel on the underside. If you click on the link below, you will see photos of both covers and the discharge tube to understand what I'm talking about:

Pictures by m-chan68 - Photobucket

Old 03-04-2011, 11:02 AM
slorider
Senior User
Originally Posted by m-chan68
Furthermore, being an '03 model year, I highly recommend replacing the high pressure oil pump cover (3C3Z-9G805-AA) along with the discharge tube (3C3Z-9T288-AA) if you don't already have the updated cover assembly with the machined channel on the underside. If you click on the link below, you will see photos of both covers and the discharge tube to understand what I'm talking about:

Thanks for the tips on removing the cover and pump first and the pics of the pump cover.

Is it still necessary to replace the cover if the discharge tube shows no signs of rubbing on the pump cover? The last thing I need right now is to have to spend another $500 for the new cover and discharge tube.

Old 04-15-2012, 02:43 PM
Squirrljam
Freshman User
Originally Posted by m-chan68

Is this discharge tube also called the J-tube? I am replacing my HPOP and need a part number for the "j-tube" and cannot find the actual name or part number?

Old 04-15-2012, 03:01 PM
BLADE35
Hotshot
Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by Squirrljam
Is this discharge tube also called the J-tube? I am replacing my HPOP and need a part number for the "j-tube" and cannot find the actual name or part number?

so changing the IPR didnt work????

was it not damaged screen

Old 04-15-2012, 03:04 PM
Squirrljam
Freshman User
IPR is actually ok...so I'm going to break down and just do the HPOP...Had a few different people from other places all say that it will more than likely just boil down to the HPOP. So while in there, I want to go ahead a fix a few things that get bad. Figure that will include the J-tube, just not sure what the part number on that is or if that's the turbo drain tube.

Old 04-15-2012, 03:09 PM
BLADE35
Hotshot
Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts
Have you tried to air test the HPO system

Quick Reply: 2003 HPOP Parts List Needed, Please Help!